mtbr member

ripped the wires right out of my MS 816 light

Last night I put my light and switch onto my handlebars and then I ran the power cord along my top tube to the battery that I put on my seatpost to kinda distribute the weight. Anyway the wire must have been too tight and I turned my handlebars and ripped the wires right out of the head.
    Has anybody a wiring diagram so that I can attempt to recover my light?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Does yours have the "Y" cable coming out of the light to the remote switch? I don't have the schematic or the light itself, but you should at least be able to determine where the wires were soldered to the main board. The problem then is obviously which wire goes where? Without another light to go-by, you're stuck with having to do some detective work with an Ohm-meter. I have a supply of those Y-cables, by the way, in case you find that yours was damaged.

mtbr member
    Thanks for you reply. The Y cable and switch is still intact, in fact the button still illuminates green to indicate the battery level. I haven't opened up the light head to even see where the wires would be soldered. I'm hoping that there is some remnants of the wire left behind to give me an idea as to where they're supposed to go.

mtbr member
    Yes, hopefully you'll get lucky, and it'll be obvious once you open it up. If you find that you need any help with it, feel free to PM me. I've been building lights for quite a while now and have all the tools for such a repair.

mtbr member
    The real trick is getting the thing apart. Then hopefully you will have easy access to the board. If the wires pulled completely out hopefully you will see some strands of wire coming out of the soldered points. Then you have to peal back the covering on the wire to expose the wires within. Hopefully they will be color coded and the board will reflect that with some letters and or +/- near the soldered points. The good part is that if all else fails D/X sells a "light head only " very similar to the MS816 for about $30.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 04-07-2013 at 10:37 PM.