just a Newbie

Review: Xeccon America Speed I

I did a review of the Speed II made by Bikeray not too long ago. Since than Bikeray has changed over to Xeccon America. They asked of me to do a review of their Speed I light. It is similar to the Speed II but is more of a flood light in comparison to the Speed II which is a thrower. Just to clarify, they have a light called Speed and that is another different light than the Speed I.

Before starting, I need to disclose some important info:
    I have no affiliation with Xeccon America beside the review I did on the Speed II.
    The unit was sent to me free of charge for a review.
    This will be an unbias review and all good or bad shall be reported.

The body of the Speed I is very similar style of the Speed II. The major difference is the OP reflector and the body color. The body has a grayish color. The Speed I uses a Cree XML T6 LED. The reflector is listed at 22 degree. It uses a standard Oring mount typical of most light being sold today. The package came with parts that includes: lighthead, large and extra small oring, extention cable, 1 amp charger, 4 cell 5.2 Ahr battery, battery soft case, helmet mount using strap instead of velcro and pouch to store the lights and parts.

Following are pictures of the light and content:

Box

Contents of parts

side view

top view

back view

front view

Side by side next to a Magishine 808e
    Last edited by colleen c; 09-06-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: fix linky

just a Newbie
    Weight of the light

weight of the battery

Weight of the battery and case

More to come including beamshot, runtime, sample video of strobe etc.....

mtbr member
    Interesting product. Since this is the "flood version" of the Speed II ( or S-12 ) I am curious as to how well the beam pattern will compare to the MJ 808E which has a pretty good mix of flood and throw.

Interesting also that Bikeray ( Xecray......sorry, I'm just poking fun ) is including a medium mode on this lamp as well. They are also staying with the larger 5200mAh battery, a good call.

I'm assuming this lamp has a hole on the underside?? **edit** never mind that last question, I see the hole..

just a Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Interesting product. Since this is the "flood version" of the Speed II ( or S-12 ) I am curious as to how well the beam pattern will compare to the MJ 808E which has a pretty good mix of flood and throw.

Interesting also that Bikeray ( Xecray......sorry, I'm just poking fun ) is including a medium mode on this lamp as well. They are also staying with the larger 5200mAh battery, a good call.

I'm assuming this lamp has a hole on the underside?? **edit** never mind that last question, I see the hole..
    The body is identical to the Speed II beside the color. It appears they swap the throw reflector with a OP reflector. I think that a good thing because the original Speed II reflector was not only wide but also deep when compared to some other light. By simply swapping the reflector with a flood, it should provide better useable light down the range and not be limited to flood only.

just a Newbie
    Here is some beamshot for the Speed I. There is 2 liters soda bottles on the ground at 100ft. The throw shot beam of the far tree is at about 185ft but more like 190ft if youy include the height of tree require for upward angle of the light direction. These distant marking is actually pretty accurate. I used one of those wheel measuring device loan to me.

You can see that the tint of the Speed I is more toward the cool than it is warm and without too much blue looking at it with my eyes. What I did like is the fact that the Speed I was able to cast some lights at the tree at 185ft although it was design to be more of a flood light than a thrower. There is not much of an extreme hot spot as far as I can see.

The setting for the picutres are standard MTBR forum setting using:
    F4.0
    4 seconds
    ISO 100
    Daylight
    Manual Focus

just a Newbie
    Here is some beamshot comparing the Speed I and Magicshine 808E. The beamshot of the 808E is from a older picture which I took when I did the review of the Speed II however all setting were the same using the same camera. Clearly the 808E reflector is a better thrower. No surprise since the Speed I was design as a flood light. Also note that the tint of my 808E is more warmer. The Speed I does have a better balance with the spread of the beam while the 808E has the hotspot.

Beamshot at 100ft

Throw at 185ft

mtbr member
    Colleen looks like the (Speed I) is going to appeal to people who previously used the 808E with a flood lens. Hard to tell from the photos but does the Speed I out throw the 808E? The Spd I definitely has a wider beam pattern. I'm assuming the 808E has a longer throw because it has a more intense center spot. I'm I wrong?
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 09-13-2012 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Looking at the images directly in front of light bar looks like 808e has more spill at the front tire. Seams odd to me same exposure ?

Edit: answered my own ? Different camera position. You Might want to fix the camera in the same position so as to show accurate spill ..
    Last edited by Rakuman; 09-13-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

just a Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Looking at the images directly in front of light bar looks like 808e has more spill at the front tire. Seams odd to me same exposure ?

Edit: answered my own ? Different camera position. You Might want to fix the camera in the same position so as to show accurate spill ..
    Nice obsevation. Help keep thing truely honest here and no cheating

I did mention in that post that the picture of the 808E was taken on a different date. It was done at the same time I did the Speed II thrower back in May 2012. When I took the beamshot for the Speed I I did not anticipated a direct beamshot comparison with the 808E so that's why the camera position is slightly off. Notice the tree at the right side of the picture have grown so much more between the two time frame? Another important note is that directly behind and to my right is a light post. It does provide some ambient light for my setup to prevent me from working in total darkness and also for safety reason. I don't have any idea what the differnece of the lamp output was between May and August but there must have been some since there is a slight difference of reflected light off the PVC pipe of the setup. I also notice that the placement of my bottle are slightly off as one set of picture is directly inline with the right tree and the other is between the tree. I see what the angle needs to be change. When I take beamshot of lights that are mounted on the right side of the setup, I need to move the camera tripod that much of the same distant over to maintain a constant spill sample for the picture, either that or simply remount the second light in the same spot as the first.

Anyhow, I wanted to double check myself and did so when I got home today. I went and checked the original photo property off the SD card and the setting were confirm with all the photos.

just a Newbie
    Colleen looks like the (Speed I) is going to appeal to people who previously used the 808E with a flood lens. Hard to tell from the photos but does the Speed I out throw the 808E? The Spd I definitely has a wider beam pattern. I'm assuming the 808E has a longer throw because it has a more intense center spot. I'm I wrong?
    The 808E with the spot will outhrow the Speed I at 200ft and beyond. Between 100 and 200ft is a toss up because the intensity from both seem the same with the 808E have a spot while the Speed I will cover wider but yet yeilding the same amount of lumination intensity as the 808E. Less than 100ft, the Speed I is much better.

That's the funny thing about spot throwers. You feel like you are not getting much out of them at close range and even sometimes feel they are under power although they have the same OTF lumens as the wide angle lights, but gosh do they perform once they are shine outward at a farther distant.

I cannot confirm if this will appeal to those who uses the 808E with a wide angle lens since I do not have one of those lens. I am planning to load some road video to give some sample of the spill and throw so that those with the 808E/wide angle lens will have something to compare. That's one thing I like about road beamshot, the cars, lane and sidewalk do give some better size relative comparison.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I currently run and 808e and a P7 Titan with the action wide angle lens and as far as appealing to me, yes I like this light. Looking at the beam shots I would say thew 808e w/wide angle lens has a much wider beam, less intensity, and less throw. As a bar light for offroad use I would pick the speed 1 for its adequitly wide beam, increased throw and greater top spill (useful for spoting low branches). For every day use the unique beam of the wide angle lens is more useful to me. I don't wear a helmet light on the side streets and canal banks I normally ride on and the extra wide beam (think BikeRay IV) and controlled top spill are why I use these lenses. Of course if the lens size of the speed 1 is the same or smaller than the 808e/Titan it would work fine for me even if it required some modifictions (were there's a will, there's a way). My one question is, do the battery connectors fit MS/Gemini products?

just a Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I currently run and 808e and a P7 Titan with the action wide angle lens and as far as appealing to me, yes I like this light. Looking at the beam shots I would say thew 808e w/wide angle lens has a much wider beam, less intensity, and less throw. As a bar light for offroad use I would pick the speed 1 for its adequitly wide beam, increased throw and greater top spill (useful for spoting low branches). For every day use the unique beam of the wide angle lens is more useful to me. I don't wear a helmet light on the side streets and canal banks I normally ride on and the extra wide beam (think BikeRay IV) and controlled top spill are why I use these lenses. Of course if the lens size of the speed 1 is the same or smaller than the 808e/Titan it would work fine for me even if it required some modifictions (were there's a will, there's a way). My one question is, do the battery connectors fit MS/Gemini products?

I took my Titan P7 out and looked at the spill of the beam and compare it to the Speed I. Indeed the Titan has a wider Spill but only slightly more.l What was interesting is that the intensity of the spill from the Speed I was brighter than the spill from the Titan P7. Objects that gets illuminated on the side are better define by the brightness of the Speed I spill although the Titan does have a wider spill. Just based on obsevation, the spill cover about a foot or two at the edge of the circumference more than the Speed I at a beam distant of about 12ft. These are not exact number cause I did not actually measure it but only a guesstimate.

The connector on the Speed I fits the MS Gemini Product. They looks almost identical at the plug. Here is a picture of the plug and reflector of the Speed I next to the Titan P7.

just a Newbie
    Here is some sample video of the Speed I used on a flat trail. The first video is the Speed I, the next video is the Magishine 808E video on the same trail and the third video is the Speed I out on the road. This may give an idea of the beamshot for the throw and flood.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=colleen c;9697086]I took my Titan P7 out and looked at the spill of the beam and compare it to the Speed I. Indeed the Titan has a wider Spill but only slightly more.l What was interesting is that the intensity of the spill from the Speed I was brighter than the spill from the Titan P7. Objects that gets illuminated on the side are better define by the brightness of the Speed I spill although the Titan does have a wider spill. Just based on obsevation, the spill cover about a foot or two at the edge of the circumference more than the Speed I at a beam distant of about 12ft. These are not exact number cause I did not actually measure it but only a guesstimate.

The connector on the Speed I fits the MS Gemini Product. They looks almost identical at the plug. Here is a picture of the plug and reflector of the Speed I next to the Titan P7.
    Thanks for the reply and pictures. From reading your comments and looking at your latest videos I would guess that a wide angle lens equiped 808e/Titan would have a useable beam 2-3 times as wide (with less throw and beam intensity) as the speed 1.
    It also looks like it shouldn't be too much trouble to fit a lens to the speed 1. If I were looking for a sigle emitter bar light this would certainlybe one I would consider.
    Mole

just a Newbie
    A follow up to the review.

I did battery run test on the Speed I.

The indicator light turn blue at 1hr 25min
    It turn red at 3hrs 35min
    and finally turn off at 4hrs 8min

Total runtime was 4hrs 8min. The battery charging took 3hrs and 25min from a depleted battery to fully charge.

I also took a lumen reading from my DIY sphere and came out with an value of 711 lumens.

I want to also mention that the Speed I blink mode is the same as the Speed II. It has three quick flash follow by a pause and then 3 quick flash. Sample video of blink mode:

mtbr member
    Colleen C - it's been a little while since this review, but I was curious if the Speed I used the same controller as the Speed II, when it is turned on does it always come on at high, or is at the last used setting?

just a Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalAl View Post
    Colleen C - it's been a little while since this review, but I was curious if the Speed I used the same controller as the Speed II, when it is turned on does it always come on at high, or is at the last used setting?
    The User Interface seem to be identical to the Speed II. It does not have memory. The mode goes as follow: High > Med > Low > Blink > Off. You can also turn it off and avoiding to have to go through the blink mode from any mode by holding the power switch for three seconds. The blink mode looks also identical to the Speed II. It will flash three times than pause follow by another three flashes.