I've got the opurtunity to make the review of interesting bicycle headlight from the Gearbest
I'm pretty much involved into bicycle lights so I hope I can make fair assesment.
Description from the webpage:
- Brand: UniqueFire
- Model: HD-16
- Function: Night Riding, Hunting, Exploring, Camping, Household Use, Hiking, Seeking Survival, Walking
- Feature: Can be used as headlamp or bicycle light
- Lumens: 2400lm
- Emitter: 2 x Cree XM-L2
- Power source: Battery
- Reflector: Aluminum smooth reflector
- Lens: Glass Lens
- Rechargeable: Yes
- Color: White
The headlight came in a tipical cardbox and it includes:
- headlight with XM-L2 leds
- 2S2P 8.4V waterresistant battery pack
- US plug 8.4V 1A Li-ion battery charger with EU adapter
- headband with light mount
- 2 mount o-rings
- velcro strap to mount the battery pack
- user manual and suprisingly warranty card (in chinese and english)
The headlight itself has two XM-L2 leds. Actual bin is unknown but it is on a cool white side. The most interestnig thing with this light is having two distinct beam profiles: wide and narrow. This is also indicated on the top of the light.
To achieve that it has two different reflectors. In fact it has one TIR lense shallow and one deep reflector.
Bit more close:
It also has nice shield on the top somewhat limiting upper part of the beam:
Rear side with 3 status leds and mode switch:
Operating with rear button is simple. On the connection to the battery status leds are off, so you don't know if it's connected or not. This is good and bad. It is good it consumes very little power but you can easily forget to disconect it when not in use.
It has four modes which in turns only switch each led on or off, no memory mode. So the modes are:
- wide beam on
- narrow beam on
- both wide and narrow beams on
- both leds flashing
Longer press at any mode turns light off which is good and you don't have to cycle trough all the modes. You don't even have to use flashing mode if you don't like it.
Power used on connection, wide beam, narrow beam and both leds on:
Two sets of beam profile pictures (wide beam, narrow beam and both leds on) on different roads:
The mount is tipical MagicShine type with o-ring. As the headlight is not heavy (101gr w/o oring) there is no problem to mount it on handlebar or to the helmet. By my opinion it is more aimed to the handlebar usage anyway.
The battery pack is 4x 18650 cells 2S2P 8.4V. Again tipical for the most of bicycle lights nowaday. It is somewhat sealed in the rubber container.
Connection plug is tipical 5.5x2.1mm and it is sealed on the headlight part. Unfortunately the plastic screw is very hard to turn and you can easily damage the wire near the plug. I would prefer the Magicshine plug more.
Capacity of the battey pack is, well, you get what you get for that price. For the two led operation it should have at least 4400mAh, but unfortunatley it can deliver only half of that. I've measured out only 2150mAh. On the other hand it has fairly high voltage curve:
To bad it is low capacity.
Headstrap is nice colored and big enough for my head (which is not small).
The charger is tipical 8.4V one and it works good. For the stock battery capacity the 1000mA charging current is fast enough.
Instructions and warranty card
- two different beam profiles in one light (very rare)
- good looking
- simple user interface
- no need to cycle trough the flashing mode
- bright enough to be used for commuting and/or for MTB style cycling as a bar headlight
- can be used as headlight - wide beam usable for close work
- 101gr weight
- somewhat ringy beam (some difusor might help)
- only half capacity battery pack
- connector can't be easily screwed together (Magicshine plug type would be much better)
- only one brightnes level for each led (two button user interface would be needed)
I must say it performs quite well in the real life. Wide beam very usable for climbing and both leds on are enough to light the trail on descends. Somewhat ringy beam doesn't disturb to much if any, but would be very nice to be more even.
All in all I can say 2 in 1 light and versatile enough to be used on different trails/roads. There is still place to do some improvements.
EDIT (10.29.2014): Today I've got information from Gearbest you can use coupon on this light.
So the link is: UniqueFire HD-16 Cree XM-L L2 2400lm LED White Bicycle Headlight Flashlight 4 x 18650 with Head Strap Battery Charger-32.41 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
Results 1 to 25 of 97