Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    What do you mean doesnt work?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Happytrails
    Apr 2018
    The Solarstorm case wont power up with the other 18650 batteries.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    are they charged? are they balanced? those are the only reasons besides incorrect installation they wont work but others will.
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Micknfred View Post
    Hi Ledoman awesome post thanks for sharing!

I am hoping you can provide insight into my challenge with Solarstorm case.

My case only works with 1 of my 3 sets of 18650 batteries. I have a set of 18650 that came with my light, they are generic Chinese. These work in the case. However have purchased a set of good NCR Li Ion plus another set of generic. The Case wont work with the NCR or other Generics. Only the blue ones. All the 12 cells appear exactly the same physically. I suspect that the discharging protection maybe causing this? See the attached pics for more info.

Why would this be the case?

Thanks in advance!

Attachment 1192774
    Attachment 1192775
    To me yours cells looks like salvaged from some other usage. None have protection circuit. Get some Digital Multimeter and measure voltage of each. I suspect some might be dead or something. Come back to us with measurments.
    Another issue you might face is the springs are to short and doesn't make contact. If you have some magnets or something to make cells longer.

Happytrails
    Apr 2018
    Yep done all the basic stuff. Have checked the batteries are even voltage with meter. Have drained them 50% also to see if that helped. I assume there may be a difference between battery chemistry. IE LiPo to LiIon ?? Others must have experienced this issue?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No the chemistry is the same, there must be some other stuff going on. Do the panasonic cells have good contact to the springs?

Happytrails
    Apr 2018
    Yes the contact is good at both ends. The batteries appear to be identical physically. ? Reading the original article I wonder if the discharge protection circuit could be cutting it out. ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you are sure, that pana cells are OK and el-cheapo are crap, the PCB usually cuts voltage and current under load (over voltage, under voltage, over current protection). If it doesn't cut based on voltage values, it cuts the current. You may check the light power requirements.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    MK96, good point! I think cells might be wornt up. The voltage might be good but instantly drop on higher load. So Micknfred tell us about your light.

Looking to the pictures I would get rid of those cells anway and buy new good proven stuff.
    Last edited by ledoman; 04-16-2018 at 02:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    After installing the suspect Li-Ion cells, BEFORE connecting them to the light, use a voltmeter to measure the voltage at the power connector terminals.

If the voltage appears normal at the connector terminals, connect the light to the battery box but do NOT switch on the light. Check to see if the LED voltage indicators light up.

If the LED indicators light up, then switch on the light. If the light doesn't turn on, check to see if the LED voltage indicators still light up.

If the LED voltage indicators no longer light up, as Ledoman suggested, it's likely that the Li-Ion cells have excessively high internal resistance and that when a load is connected, the output voltage of the Li-Ion cells drops so low that it triggers the low voltage protection circuit and disconnects the Li-Ion cells from the output.

Scott Novak

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345