Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    the half breed devil
    my goodness, look at this price...

http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Bicycl...ic+shine+light

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Can anyone recommend a single LED lighthead that produces a slow pulse when in flash mode? As opposed to the normal fast strobe in flash mode? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Can anyone recommend a single LED lighthead that produces a slow pulse when in flash mode? As opposed to the normal fast strobe in flash mode? Thanks.
    This is something I was looking at for quite a while. I used DX drivers, cheap and cheerful. The simplest way I ended up with was to use a power MOSFET to interupt the battery supply to the driver. I used a low power blinking led as a trigger to switch the MOSFET on and off about 100 time per min. The MOSFET etc, sits in the battery pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    and no slo boat from china...

mtbr member

the half breed devil
    i'm a bit confused with that one. are they selling a tail light, the headlamp and accessories or both?

mtbr member
    My understanding is 'either'. There is the option to choose tail light, or head light.

mtbr member
    Says AAA Battery, dont' think you want that....

mtbr member
    Interesting. It shows a battery pack in the photos.

Edit: the reviews and comments mention 4x 18650's as well.
    Quite the confusion.

the half breed devil
    well, mine flat quit on me twenty minutes into descending railroad grade on mt tam--these things don't go dim, they just QUIT...i bought it a little more than a year ago. i tested the run time today on a full charge and got about ten minutes in on high before the green nub on the back of the head went red.

no worries. for thirty five dollars, that's about the life i expected from a cheap chinese knockoff.

i found another one on amazon for just under thirteen dollars (with the same kind of rechargeable battery pack, mind you)

let's see if i can squeeze a year out of that set...

mtbr member

Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle HeadLight Lamp

My old one is still going. Bought another for my wife. Looks like the quality has improved a little, the light itself is very spotty. Resolved with a wide angle lens for the magic shine product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just Ride !
    A few eBay vendors have these with XML-L2's at the same cost as the older XML T6
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ordered the head unit for $8 total (includes shipping). I have a 2 Panasonic 3100mah batteries pack. Got some red transparent plexiglas. I'm going to use this as a tail light.

My headlight is the Solar Storm 2x.

So as a tail light it will be in the strobe mode. Any mods for the board to increase the strobe brightness and/or change strobe speed? Photos would be helpful.

the half breed devil
    sooooo...i ended up getting another one for almost eighteen dollars U.S., shipped included. it was mailed from florida to california and made it to my work address in about four calendar days.

right out of the box, the charge indicator will not turn green to indicate a full charge, even after an overnight charge. i figure the best i can do is charge it no more than three hours following each use, being sure to use the alarm on my watch or cell phone to keep track of the time. other than the charge indicator not functioning, the light seems to work okay following three one and a half hour test run/charge cycles and two consecutive 2.5 hour night rides.

i agree with other posts that the beam is really spotty and will be purchasing a lens as soon as i find one that ships from a location in the U.S.

in regards to the light that i purchased in february (?) of 2013, i had my LBS check the battery and they confirmed that it was kaput.

all in all, however, you get what you pay for and these lights do a pretty good job for the price.

Action LED Lights
    Shekky,

If your current Len is about 39mm, which it likely, is then our wide angle lens should do the trick. (Action-LED-Lights ? Wide Angle Lens) Made in and shipped from the US. Available in clear, red or Amber.
    Last edited by Action LED Lights; 11-28-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

the half breed devil
    action LED lights...i ordered one yesterday...from YOU!

thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hi Spartacus

Thank you for a truly comprehensive and informative review. I have just received these lights and would like to act on your good advice. Could you please send exact details of the 'wide angle lens' you refer to as I can't find a suitable match on ebay.

Many thanks

Martin

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    A simple plain red lens works for anything further back than 76 feet. For a 2 lane road 12 feet wide riding 2 feet from the shoulder, half of the 15 degree projection angle is 7.5 degrees. Solving for adjacent in opposite over adjacent for tangent of 7.5 degrees is 76 feet. That's a little less than 6 car lengths. Given the brightness of the Cree, you should be visible for at least a 1/2 mile in daylight conditions. A diffuser is not needed.

mtbr member
    Sorry. I haven't been very active here with our winter.
    As Jim had answered:

"If your current Len is about 39mm, which it likely, is then our wide angle lens should do the trick. (Action-LED-Lights ? Wide Angle Lens) Made in and shipped from the US. Available in clear, red or Amber."

Wide Angle Lens – Action-LED-Lights
    or
    Wide Angle Lens for MagicShine 808 All Ver CREE XML T6 Single LED Bike Lights | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Seville62 View Post
    Hi Spartacus

Thank you for a truly comprehensive and informative review. I have just received these lights and would like to act on your good advice. Could you please send exact details of the 'wide angle lens' you refer to as I can't find a suitable match on ebay.

Many thanks

Martin

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789