Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Good job!

Awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So the kit comes with the lighthead, battery w/ case and charger... Does the upgraded battery with the kit still come with the neoprene case?

Action LED Lights
    Yes, neoprene case included.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It should have come with 8.4V 2A with green/red light indication. Well before I buy from someone I try to read some references (e.g. on ebay aboiut the item I am going to buy) and I prefer "top seller" with good references when buying cheap stuff. But your seller is already top seller - maybe you should contact him to get replacement for the mistake

Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    That will need some instrumentation since the adapter has no charging indicator. I can see where they cut corners in this set. Yes, I have a pair of these, no other lights, both came with the same AC adapter.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    It should have come with 8.4V 2A with green/red light indication. Well before I buy from someone I try to read some references (e.g. on ebay aboiut the item I am going to buy) and I prefer "top seller" with good references when buying cheap stuff. But your seller is already top seller - maybe you should contact him to get replacement for the mistake
    That is what I did, I got it from a US top seller with a zillion of positive references. I am on the fence about what to do next - I am going to contact him about the chargers and I am considering sending the lights back.

mtbr member
    That is what I did, I got it from a US top seller with a zillion of positive references. I am on the fence about what to do next - I am going to contact him about the chargers and I am considering sending the lights back.

Have you contacted the seller yet to see what they want to do??

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    Have you contacted the seller yet to see what they want to do??
    Not yet but that is step one. Returning goods == the last resort. I am hoping they will be cooperative.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well at least you can expect it. Question is if he is a true US seller or chinese US seller. However I have got positive experience with chinese sellers refunding/returnig the item. Good luck!

Not yet but that is step one. Returning goods == the last resort. I am hoping they will be cooperative.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just got the same lights from the same seller. Please report back.
    Airborne Guardian

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is it normal to sell 8V DC adapters as battery chargers?
    That's not what is shown in the photos in their auction. Was this the only thing incorrect? In other words, was everything else you received the same as what's in their photos?

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    That's not what is shown in the photos in their auction. Was this the only thing incorrect? In other words, was everything else you received the same as what's in their photos?
    Yes, everything else matched the description except for the chargers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes, everything else matched the description except for the chargers.
    Be sure to let us know how this ends.

I'd like to hear from anyone else that has bought this light, did you get a proper charger? Was this a fluke, or is this what is being sent out with all of these lights from this seller?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Amazon.com: 4 Mode 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp: Sports & Outdoors

i think this is the same light right?

i'm pretty much sold on it, but just a couple questions.

does it come with a helmet mount?

and how is the mounting on the bars? that little rubber band thing doesn't look super secure if you are going through rocks. does it bounce around making it so you have to readjust the angle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Be sure to let us know how this ends.

I'd like to hear from anyone else that has bought this light, did you get a proper charger? Was this a fluke, or is this what is being sent out with all of these lights from this seller?
    I received the same charger. I am a lights noob. Should I not use this charger at all?
    Airborne Guardian

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by comphynum View Post
    I received the same charger. I am a lights noob. Should I not use this charger at all?
    Could I use a 9v, 1A charger instead?
    Airborne Guardian

banned
    Feb 2012
    Could I use a 9v, 1A charger instead?
    AC adapters are not meant for charging batteries. They have no logic that starts/stops the charging based i.e. on the voltage. It might significantly degrade the capacity and life span of batteries. It may overheat them and become a fire hazard etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    AC adapters are not meant for charging batteries. They have no logic that starts/stops the charging based i.e. on the voltage. It might significantly degrade the capacity and life span of batteries. It may overheat them and become a fire hazard etc.
    So DC instead of AC? And what about a 9v, 1A DC?
    Airborne Guardian

banned
    Feb 2012
    Got an asnwer from the seller @ 1:30AM EST (he is in IL for sure, yeah....) and I am not happy with his answer:

Thanks for your message, it's right charger as the picture shown.

It's ok to charge the light, if you're not satisfied with it, kindly suggest you to buy another charger at other store, because we don't have other charger.

Need any further help, pls contact us.

So he is asking me to buy a real charger elsewhere and denying that the item is not as described (the charger in his pictures is different). The lights are otherwise quite nice, any suggestions where I could get a competent charger as an alternative to returning the item?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No you cant, 9V is too much for 7.4V pack, the max. is 8.4V

So DC instead of AC? And what about a 9v, 1A DC?

Action LED Lights
    In the interest of you not burning your house down, you need a 8.4vDC constant voltage charger. Your normal 9v power adapter would produce 9v at the rated current of 1A and high voltage at lower amperage. You MUST have a constant voltage charger. There only $7.95 at our site.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    In the interest of you not burning your house down, you need a 8.4vDC constant voltage charger. Your normal 9v power adapter would produce 9v at the rated current of 1A and high voltage at lower amperage. You MUST have a constant voltage charger. There only $7.95 at our site.
    I am about to order one together with the wide angle lens. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just got my light in the mail today. The cable coming from the headlight has a bad connection near the plug. When I wiggle the cable the light turns off. Anyone have a similar problem?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    done! My helmet and wide angle lens should be here today.
    Airborne Guardian

mtbr member
    Guys, my MS clone lamp arrived, and all is well except low battery warning (red led). It turns out voltage sensing resistor R10 has bin ripped out in assembly process, and I can't read what value should I put there. Can any kind soul here disassemble their light and read R10 value?

s10.postimage.org/ijxrrjdzt/Image733.jpg

This is my driver in picture, and as you can see R10 is ripped, and only first number is visible. As an experiment I've put 10K resistor there, and red LED lit up, so low battery warning is functional, only voltage sensing resistor is missing.

mtbr member
    Can anyone provide any feedback on this ?
    Thank you.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    Can anyone provide any feedback on this ?
    Thank you.
    That looks exactly like the battery pack shipped with my lights.

mtbr member
    Great.
    So how is the battery? Is it reliable? Protected cells and whatnot?

banned
    Feb 2012
    I got mine a only few days ago and I have not really had a chance to use them yet, sorry. Mine should be only 4400mAh though but the casing and the battery bag look exactly the same.

mtbr member
    Hm, ok, thanks!
    Just wondering about the quality as i will also have to seal my battery case to waterproof it and i would probably benefit from the extra pack to give me longer runtime...

banned
    Feb 2012
    Is it normal to sell 8V DC adapters as battery chargers?
    According to my Klein MM200 multimeter, the adapters produce 8.27V and 8.31V DC. One more interesting thing, the heads have five modes - high, med, low, rapid flashes, Morse S.O.S. flashes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Can anyone provide any feedback on this
    That looks exactly like the battery pack shipped with my lights.
    I'm sure the rubberized water resistant case is a fairly generic item, and not made by the company assembling the battery packs.

With that in mind, I'm sure many rubberized 4 cell packs look the same. It's what's inside that counts. It could be anything from recycled laptop batteries, to bottom end cells of unknown lineage, to the good stuff. Given the price of $19 "the good stuff" seems unlikely.

The advertised 5200 mah implies 4 x 2600 mah batteries (2S2P). We see most 4400 packs (4 x 2200) retailing for $35.

At the $19 price I'm tempted, but I think the specs are the battery equivalent of Chinese Lumens.

mtbr member
    That was exactly why i asked for feedback for that particular item.
    It may be worth 19$ to work as a backup battery...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    The advertised 5200 mah implies 4 x 2600 mah batteries (2S2P). We see most 4400 packs (4 x 2200) retailing for $35.

At the $19 price I'm tempted, but I think the specs are the battery equivalent of Chinese Lumens.
    I bought one of the cheap battery packs on Ebay. It turns out it only has half the battery capacity of my old Magicshine P7 battery. Its also fully charged in half the time (3.5 hours versus 7 hours for the MS battery).
    Cheep/low price = cheep/low quality...well, who would have guessed that?.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think it is better to DIY a battery pack from 3.4Ah 18650 Panasonics to get an acceptable adjustable runtime (2S1P, 2P, .... 8P) I am going to do this with my light and I am going to add a led indication also, since my light does not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity123 View Post
    I bought one of the cheap battery packs on Ebay. It turns out it only has half the battery capacity of my old Magicshine P7 battery. Its also fully charged in half the time (3.5 hours versus 7 hours for the MS battery).
    Cheep/low price = cheep/low quality...well, who would have guessed that?.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I think it is better to DIY a battery pack from 3.4Ah 18650 Panasonics to get an acceptable adjustable runtime (2S1P, 2P, .... 8P)
    I wonder if the Panasonic 18650 cells sold from China/hongkong are copies..?
    panasonic 18650 battery | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Who knows, but there are some tests published, so you can compare them. But probably I would not trust ebay sellers selling 18650 panasonic

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity123 View Post
    I wonder if the Panasonic 18650 cells sold from China/hongkong are copies..?
    panasonic 18650 battery | eBay

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    According to my Klein MM200 multimeter, the adapters produce 8.27V and 8.31V DC. One more interesting thing, the heads have five modes - high, med, low, rapid flashes, Morse S.O.S. flashes.
    Have you tried charging with the included 8V AC adapters? Did the batteries get warm?
    Airborne Guardian

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I picked up one of these from the tomtop EBay seller and so far it's great. I stuck a piece of Glad Press 'n' Seal on the lens to diffuse the beam and it's just about perfect. I'll probably pick up the real wide angle lens at some point just so I don't have to worry about it falling off, but now I'm planning to get a nicer light to pair with it so I don't have to carry a little AA flashlight as my backup light any more, so I'll probably wait until I do that.

On my first night ride with the light I passed a couple of guys stopped on the trail and overheard one of them saying "That's a really good light" as I went past.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

mtbr member
    Glad to know it works ok as i've bought one from the same seller eheh
    Does the led lights up when charging? Is there a led in the light's on/off button indicating the status of the battery?
    I already have my wide angle lens, so i will take some shots with and without it.

I hope it arrives soon! May i know when was yours shipped?
    Also, i'm looking for another light for the helmet. If you see something interesting, please let me know. Right now, I'm thinking of something like the 501b, but i think that that torch is pretty old and i think there might be better ones around. For example, the strobe mode should be like the one you have: pressing 3 seconds to turn on, so we can avoid it when swtiching from high to low setting. None of the 501b i saw had that, except the one-mode only.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Glad to know it works ok as i've bought one from the same seller eheh
    Does the led lights up when charging? Is there a led in the light's on/off button indicating the status of the battery?
    I already have my wide angle lens, so i will take some shots with and without it.

I hope it arrives soon! May i know when was yours shipped?
    Also, i'm looking for another light for the helmet. If you see something interesting, please let me know. Right now, I'm thinking of something like the 501b, but i think that that torch is pretty old and i think there might be better ones around. For example, the strobe mode should be like the one you have: pressing 3 seconds to turn on, so we can avoid it when swtiching from high to low setting. None of the 501b i saw had that, except the one-mode only.
    Assuming this is directed at me - there's a light on the charger that changes color when it's charging. The light does have an LED under the button to display battery status, but from what I've heard it isn't terribly useful because it goes red minutes before it goes out. I haven't run it down that far yet so I can't say. Looking through my e-mail history it appears mine was shipped Oct. 18 and I believe it got here about Oct. 30.

Can't comment on helmet lights - this is currently mounted on my bars and I don't have a helmet light yet.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nemebean View Post
    Assuming this is directed at me - there's a light on the charger that changes color when it's charging. The light does have an LED under the button to display battery status, but from what I've heard it isn't terribly useful because it goes red minutes before it goes out. I haven't run it down that far yet so I can't say. Looking through my e-mail history it appears mine was shipped Oct. 18 and I believe it got here about Oct. 30.

Can't comment on helmet lights - this is currently mounted on my bars and I don't have a helmet light yet.
    Yeah it was for me, i don't usually quote if i want to reply to the latest post.
    It is a good thing the charger has a led, but that led on the light...that is a shame. Anyway, it is a 28$ light (shipping included), so...
    12 days, hm, that is good news. I hope mine doesn't take +30 days like last DX's items... I'm from Portugal.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

good to know...

Just to keep the facts straight, the driver circuit reduces the voltage by switching the power on and off about 10,000 times a second. The power is feed into a capacitor to smooth it out. The amount of time on vs off is adjusted as the input voltage changes or to change the brightness.
    Efficiency varies from about 85% to 98% depending on the quality of the driver.
    This rapid on/off creates a weak radio (RF) signal that can interfere with some wireless bike computers.
    That is good to know - I was wondering why my wireless comp wasn't working...
    Last edited by ToastR; 11-14-2012 at 08:34 PM.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Update on my charger case - the seller cooperates, he apologized and offered me a full refund if I send the lights back or $5 refund as a compensation for the inconvenience of getting a proper charger elsewhere. I accepted the latter and took the lights our for the first ride tonight. I am very happy with their performance so far, the beam is quite diffused and a wide angle lens is more a luxury than a necessity IMHO.

mtbr member
    That is great. Can you please confirm yours came with the OP reflector?

banned
    Feb 2012
    That is great. Can you please confirm yours came with the OP reflector?
    Yes they did. I will take and post a few pictures here in the evening.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Bought one of these off ebay a few months ago. I used it on a handful of late road rides and for $30 it worked great. Very happy with the amount of light it produced. Took it off-road yesterday and it turned off midway through the ride. Good thing I knew the trail well. Riding it in the dark was a whole new experience!

I thought maybe the battery was dead but after a full charge - no love. The power button glows green but the light will not turn on. At $30 I guess they are pretty much disposable. Anyone have any tips on how to get it working again? I'll probably just buy another one and hope for the best.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Playa View Post
    Bought one of these off ebay a few months ago. I used it on a handful of late road rides and for $30 it worked great. Very happy with the amount of light it produced. Took it off-road yesterday and it turned off midway through the ride. Good thing I knew the trail well. Riding it in the dark was a whole new experience!

I thought maybe the battery was dead but after a full charge - no love. The power button glows green but the light will not turn on. At $30 I guess they are pretty much disposable. Anyone have any tips on how to get it working again? I'll probably just buy another one and hope for the best.
    Thee's been a couple different lights discussed in this thread, can you link to the specific one you bought?

Next, incase you're not already beating yourself up about it, NEVER night ride with one light. Not even a $500 light. Always have a second light. Ideally, you would ride with two ights on, but at the very least, have a small flashlight or something in your backpack or pocket.

As far as your light goes, you need to determine if it's the light/led or the battery that's causing the problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    here is the one I purchased:
    New CREE XML XM L T6 1800Lm LED Bicycle Bike Head Light Lamp | eBay

Great advice about night riding - I actually knew better but was in a rush etc. which is when this kinda stuff always happens. I didn't mention that about 2 minutes after my light went dark - 2 other riders who were riding the loop in reverse happened by. One of them gave me a fully charged spare battery from what I think he said was a magicshine unit. He trusted me to leave the battery pack under a picnic shelter when I got done which of course I did. The light came on for about 30 seconds with that battery - enough time for both of them to be long gone - then it went out again and wouldn't work with either battery. I thought the magicshine was similar enough to mine that it would work OK. Anyway I don't know if that rules out the battery 100% but I'm leaning towards the light being the cause.

thanks for the reply fightnut!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes they did. I will take and post a few pictures here in the evening.
    Rode 7.5 miles last night with 2 of these lights (one helmet, one handlebar with wide angle lens). More than enough light. Only used Medium setting. No need for high. Everything stayed mounted going over rocky technical stuff. Very impressed. Once I get the legit charger from Action Led I will be all set.

Good to know the seller cooperated some. I may give it a try. $5 will help offset some of the cost of the Action Led charger I purchased.
    Airborne Guardian

banned
    Feb 2012
    Rode 7.5 miles last night with 2 of these lights (one helmet, one handlebar with wide angle lens). More than enough light. Only used Medium setting. No need for high. Everything stayed mounted going over rocky technical stuff. Very impressed. Once I get the legit charger from Action Led I will be all set.
    I have exactly the same experience from the last night with the exception that I did only about 5 miles, some of them in more techy terrain though. One thing that aggravates me a little is that you cannot switch them off with a long press of the button, you have to cycle through the annoying flashing. I do not have the wide angle lens yet but I was not really missing it. I may even use the lens for getting the beam taller rather than wider when it arrives.