Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Personally I always ride with at least two lights. Basically it's the smart thing to do. Add to that I always carry an emergency torch which could also function as a bike light if somehow both bike lights malfunctioned on the same ride ( although not likely to happen ). If you ride night on a regular basis you learn to be prepared.
    I've had three lights "not work" for me on a commute home (on fire trails through pitch black bush). The first was my Dinotte that ran on AAs. I dropped the battery holder while getting it ready for the ride and it would no longer hold the batteries. So I then wrapped my P7 torch around the handlebars and started riding only for its battery to run flat about 1/2 way through the ride in the darkest section. I then wrapped my Princeton Tec Apex headlamp around my helment and set off.

This was the first time I used the Apex on the bike and I thought I I'd badly overestimated how bright it was as it was very difficult to see much beyond the front wheel. It was only when I got home that I realised I was running it on it's lowest setting.

All of these were of course my fault, and I guess it shows I really need at least 4 lights for a night ride.

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    All of these were of course my fault, and I guess it shows I really need at least 4 lights for a night ride.

Tim
    i think you just need to learn your equipment, and be better prepared with charged batteries, and or spares if running AA's. you really dont NEED 4 lights with you.
    Juice

mtbr member
    I've had three lights "not work" for me on a commute home (on fire trails through pitch black bush). The first was my Dinotte that ran on AAs. I dropped the battery holder while getting it ready for the ride and it would no longer hold the batteries. So I then wrapped my P7 torch around the handlebars and started riding only for its battery to run flat about 1/2 way through the ride in the darkest section. I then wrapped my Princeton Tec Apex headlamp around my helment and set off.

This was the first time I used the Apex on the bike and I thought I I'd badly overestimated how bright it was as it was very difficult to see much beyond the front wheel. It was only when I got home that I realised I was running it on it's lowest setting.

Tim
    Besides what Mr. Juice said ( and I agree with him ) none of what you said had to do with the lights themselves malfunctioning which was the subject at hand. ( Also, two of your lights were not bike lights ) You also mentioned that you had a P-7 torch that only got you half way home. My P-7's will go 3 hrs on mid-mode so either yours had a half dead battery when you left or you have a single mode ( high ) P-7 torch. You didn't mention a spare battery which if you're using torches is a very big "must have". At least the Apex got you home. Some light is better than no light at all. I have a 30 lumen single mode AA torch sitting around gathering dust. It's not real bright but I could get out of the woods with it if I had to.

Luckily for me I have much better stuff now. My current back-up emergency torch is a 3 mode AA XP-E torch that is also my daily EDC pocket torch. On high about 150-175 lumen and useable throw to 75ft. Cost me maybe $24 I think. Regardless, I always ride with an XM-L 3-mode torch on the bars to back-up my bar lamp and yes I always carry spare torch batteries if I'm on a ride lasting more than 2 hours. You NEVER EVER want to be back in woods and suddenly find out you have no lights with the sun going down. Been there, done that. Once was all I needed to teach me that lesson.

mtbr member
    I did point out that all of these were my fault, and spare AAs would not have helped when the battery carrier was broken. That's probably the only poor quality thing about AA Dinotte lights.

Tim

mtbr member
    I did point out that all of these were my fault, and spare AAs would not have helped when the battery carrier was broken. That's probably the only poor quality thing about AA Dinotte lights.

Tim
    I understand. I have a couple Dinotte 200L AA lamps. Not sure how you broke the carrier as the plastic is pretty tough. I don't use mine anymore but if I did I would have to get rid of the stupid nine volt type battery connectors. Those used to give me fits. An easy fix actually. Just solder some better connectors to the carrier terminals and to the lamp.

The spare batteries I was referring to was for the P-7 torch. For that a back-up 18650 cell is a must.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Tim
    oh, i understand the carrier was broken, i was talking about in general carrying spare batteries for a light that uses them is a good idea. dont break the battery holder, and spares can come in handy.
    Juice

mtbr member
    I was hoping this lamp would problem free a little longer but since my original review I've run into some issues.

I switched on the light during a night ride and it ran for about a minute then it shut off. It seems like the battery just ran out of juice.
    I plugged it into the charger and the LED indicator light was out. So I left it over night but it didn't charge the battery. I put a meter on it and the charger has died.

I've order a replacement charger.
    This time I'm trying out a 8.4v 1.5A AC/DC charger for a Sony Camera.
    I'll update this thread as soon as I get recieve the charger and test the battery.
    Last edited by spartacus001; 05-25-2012 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    I recieved a Sony laptop charger @ 8.4V 1.5A. Pretty close to the specs. of the original charger. I spliced the jack from the broken adapter, soldered and heat shrunk the splice.
    Put the battery in a metal tray and plugged in the charger. I monitored the temperature the entire time. The adapter was slightly warm and the batteries showed no signs of heat. After 5hrs it was done. The adapter was cold.
    Plugged in the light. Bingo! Back to night riding.

The old adapter just died. Other then no LED there was no other warning. No burning smell, no excessive heat. Probably a bad transformer or capacitor.
    Last edited by spartacus001; 06-16-2012 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Cree XML T6 is 1000 lumens , can you let us know you make the T6 to be bicyle light, it iwll be 1800 lumens?? you are gold so you can add the 800 lumens more for it ??

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Tim
    I think you can chocie a goog qualtity light will be ok

mtbr member
    I almost considered this light... but I didn't like the idea of having too much wires going around the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think you can choice some bicycle light have the Velcro on the wire, it will tie the wires on the bicycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwin.Wu View Post
    I think you can choice some bicycle light have the Velcro on the wire, it will tie the wires on the bicycle
    Yeah... but the wires are still there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
    I see what you are need now , a bicycle light more like flashlight, battery is in the body of light, this type bicycle light have no wires, Fluxient T6 mini is suit for you, I think ebuy have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
    but always the flashlight sytle bicycle light bright is not very good, it only have one battery in it , so will lower the output to save power.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Wide angle lens Cree XML T6

Hi I bought one of these CREE XML T6 LED 1800LM a month ago and absolutely love. I use it for both bike and running and have nothing but good to say about it.

However i keep reading that you can get a wide angle lens for them and i am obviously missing something as i cannot find them on ebay. can someone please point me in the right direction?

I am not in the USA

Thnx

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That also bothered me....

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The only thing that bothered me was the 1800 lumen claim by the vendor. Sorry but you won't get even half that. Maybe 700 to 800 if you're lucky. I'm glad to see the Action wide lens working so well. One light with wide lens on the bars, one spot on the helmet and you're ready for action.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsmurf View Post
    Hi I bought one of these CREE XML T6 LED 1800LM a month ago and absolutely love. I use it for both bike and running and have nothing but good to say about it.

However i keep reading that you can get a wide angle lens for them and i am obviously missing something as i cannot find them on ebay. can someone please point me in the right direction?

I am not in the USA

Thnx
    They are available here. WIDE ANGLE LENS
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Thanks Jim

Many Thanks Jim

mtbr member
    It was either a Magicshine or Gloworm but I went with this cheaper option. It cost me at an auction of $34 it was soo cheap then its a matter of waiting from Asia shipping which took about 2.5 weeks. Before this I had those HID & ay-up LED which cost me about $300-400 and this copied magicshine light is bright enough and value for money. I just ordered another light for the helmet too. I took that risk and so far soo good for 2 x 1800 cree LED at $70.....bargain!

mtbr member
    I run the light static on the tile floor and was on for 3.5hrs but I had to turn it off as I had to go to bed, next time will do an all out test. The battery took 4hrs to charge from 3.5hrs of use. This light went well and better than I expected, really surprised, wow.

anyway I'm that excited I'm buying 2 more for my commute bike (front & rear) and use y cable with single battery and use the other battery as spare For the rear light I will have to find a red lense

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey guys here something that is very similar with a lower price $43.30 and free shipping.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Hey guys here something that is very similar with a lower price $43.30 and free shipping.
    I like the beam pattern shot with the big dark artifact in it.
    If you want to try and fix that you might try a Magicshine orange peel reflector available here and/or a wide angle lens
    Also be aware that the power connector on most of these is not the same as a MS.

Be for-warned, I have a wholesale customer who uses lights for an off the bike purpose and thought he would save some money and bought 100 of these. Within 6 months over half of his batteries had died and he was SOL.
    What's the longest anyone has had one of these in use and how are they doing?
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I bought a $43 close last September and it's still going good. Almost full run time, etc but I'm sure when it gets cold the battery will run far less.

However, I say this knowing my group has 6 MS's and a couple of clones. Most have either had bad batteries after 6-12 months or defective heads, several and splitting cables at the connectors.

We all have at least 1 good light set of a quality brand. Mine are Dinotte.

They are cheap and if you figure a year and are happy w/ that, then go for it but never ride w/ just one of those lights by yourself.

By the way, my Dinotte XML-3 dual kicks butt. Use these on the bars as the beam is wide. Use the clone on the helmet as the beam is very narrow but that's ok w/ me on the helmet.

I'd buy another for sure b/c they are so affordable but would never go out w/o the Dinotte's.

mtbr member
    spartacus001,
    Hi.
    I would like to buy the same flashlight, but capacity of battery is not so high for me.
    In my country that batteries are expensive and hard to purchase.
    How do you think, is this available to change the original power source?
    I can not find the same voltage batteries.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast