Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 419
  1. #151
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    520
    Just unscrew the silver ring at the front.
    You can cut a gasket from a plastic jug or something of that sort.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  2. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    What do you recommend to make up for the extra thickness?
    There's a skinny rubber o-ring already behind the lens, so you can either add a second one of the same thickness, or pick up one that's a little thicker and just use one. You can get them in all thicknesses at hardware stores.

  3. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PedroDank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    151
    Thank you both!

  4. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    I have the bigger brother of this light - maybe gemini olympia clone, who knows. The cause of this was in my case a difference between the 2 cell packs. One measured 3,7V and second 2,7V - unbalanced state. There is a protection PCB in battery pack that cuts off output if some of the cells drops to 2,7V - the normal discharged state. when I charged it for the 1st time with supplied made in PRC charger I measured 8,04V. But now I am using RC model hobby charger and I charge the cells with balancing adapter, so it is OK. The cellpack is 4 x 18650 about 2200mAh/cell. But you can easily build 8 or 12 x 18650/26650 with 4600-6000mAh/cell using holders and some heatshrink wrap and have very long runtime

    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    My first light review:
    The battery pack appears to be 4 x18650 linked in series and bundled in heat shrink. It's hard to tell if these are protected cells and I didn't want to take off the heat shrink. The cable and connectors pushed together snugly but they lack weather sealed caps which would have been nice. When I plugged in the light I was surprised to find the the batteries already charged. I put it on a volt meter and it measured 7.9V on the 3rd charge. Not the advertised 8.4V. Maybe it needs a break in time

  5. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5
    I took off mine to have a look in, it's got a thin lense and the reflector is smooth, would it be good to get one of the rough textured looking reflectors? "orange peel" they call it I think?

  6. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by willhub View Post
    I took off mine to have a look in, it's got a thin lense and the reflector is smooth, would it be good to get one of the rough textured looking reflectors? "orange peel" they call it I think?
    Although I'm sure there are people who prefer the throw and tighter spot light of a smooth reflector, I think many agree that the Orange Peel (OP) makes for a better beam pattern. It sort of blends the edge of the hot spot into the flood better.
    You can get OP reflectors at Action LED's site.

  7. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    There are a lot of XML T6 bike lights on ebay, but I thought I'd share a link to what I think is one of the better deals going at the moment.

    There are several things about this particular light that make it better as far as I'm concerned.
    LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp 1000 Lumen CREE XML T6 | eBay

    1. US shipper, fast shipping.

    2. Rubber encased battery (as opposed to the plastic shrink wrapped ones on most of these Chinese bike lights).

    3. Two strap battery bag. The straps are also longer then the single strap bags, so they actually fit around modern, fatter frames.

    4. Orange Peel reflector.

    5. Cable connectors are threaded and have a little o-ring in them making them more waterproof.

    Now I can't confirm my #6, but I believe the lighthead will be lighter then some others on the market. I have another XML T6 light that has what appears to be the same lighthead, and it weighs less then my Magicshine 808 (P7). By about 15 grams if I remember correctly.

    So there you have it, at least 5 (and maybe 6) things that are better then many similar XML T6 lights on ebay.
    Even though I don't need another light, I may just have to get one of these.
    Last edited by fightnut; 11-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.

  8. #158
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Thank you fightnut. Interesting observations, I ordered one of those earlier today from the same seller in IL. The whole listing looked more convincing to me than some of the 1800 lumen versions - I fall for good marketing easily.

  9. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Thank you fightnut. Interesting observations, I ordered one of those earlier today from the same seller in IL.
    Oh! I forgot one of the bigger selling points, US seller and fast shipping! I've updated my post, thanks for reminding me. Keeop us posted when you get it, let us know what you think of it.

  10. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5
    Looks good, shame they don't ship to the UK I'd have got one of those

  11. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PedroDank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    151
    I bought mine: 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bike Bicycle Outdoor Sports Light Headlight Headlamp | eBay just a few hours ago.
    It prefer the 3 seconds trigger feature to get into strobe mode and i also think it already has an OP reflector - could you please confirm me this? Also, i'm not from USA, so i couldn't order that one... I wonder if i can get a better battery bag for the rain though...

  12. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Seems to be a great price for such light ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    I bought mine: 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bike Bicycle Outdoor Sports Light Headlight Headlamp | eBay just a few hours ago.
    It prefer the 3 seconds trigger feature to get into strobe mode and i also think it already has an OP reflector - could you please confirm me this? Also, i'm not from USA, so i couldn't order that one... I wonder if i can get a better battery bag for the rain though...

  13. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PedroDank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    151
    I think so too. Hope it really turns out to be a pretty good deal... I bought the wide lens from ActionLed too.

  14. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    I bought the bigger brother Skyray S6 and its glass lens is about 55-59 mm, so I cannot use the 39mm lens for Magicshine but on the other hand I have got more light

    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    I think so too. Hope it really turns out to be a pretty good deal... I bought the wide lens from ActionLed too.

  15. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2

    Noob requests

    I have just purchased a similar item, incorrectly assuming that 4 x 18650 was an 8.4V battery like MS ones.

    I now have two problems:

    1. Can someone suggest a technique for removing the reflector from the housing, so that I can change the cable? Spartacus' photo suggests his reflector is a sliding fit, but mine is a very tight fit, but presumably an interference fit, not threaded. I don't want to start prising around the LED, so all I can think of doing is inserting a Stanley knife (box cutter) blade between the reflector's sub-millimetre thick rim and the housing.
    2. In view of the relatively complex (3-mode) electronics, can I easily drop 8.4V from a MS battery to the required 4.2V with a resistor? I supect that I will need a 5V regulator and lose another 1.2V with diodes to derive 3.8V.


    Any ideas?

  16. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    If you light is similiar, then it should have come with 8.4V/4400mAh battery pack. It is a 4x 18650 ordered 2S2P giving you 8.4V and 2x2200mAh of capacity Driver takes care of the output voltage/current fed to the xml led.

    1. well, it might be glued to the alloy base, so the heatgun would help.
    2. I don't see the point. Perhaps you should post the light specs./foto here.


    Quote Originally Posted by okthought View Post
    I have just purchased a similar item, incorrectly assuming that 4 x 18650 was an 8.4V battery like MS ones.

    I now have two problems:

    1. Can someone suggest a technique for removing the reflector from the housing, so that I can change the cable? Spartacus' photo suggests his reflector is a sliding fit, but mine is a very tight fit, but presumably an interference fit, not threaded. I don't want to start prising around the LED, so all I can think of doing is inserting a Stanley knife (box cutter) blade between the reflector's sub-millimetre thick rim and the housing.
    2. In view of the relatively complex (3-mode) electronics, can I easily drop 8.4V from a MS battery to the required 4.2V with a resistor? I supect that I will need a 5V regulator and lose another 1.2V with diodes to derive 3.8V.


    Any ideas?

  17. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    I think you can search ebay and you find someone who ships to UK too

    Quote Originally Posted by willhub View Post
    Looks good, shame they don't ship to the UK I'd have got one of those

  18. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87
    So I got my 2 from eBay the other day. Packaging was not that great. 2 kits were shoved into a little box with no padding or anything to protect them. I ordered some lenses from action led... I ran the lights for a little bit, then gave em a full charge. They only lasted about 1hr 15min on high. I thought maybe the batteries had to break in so I ran the lights til they turned off. Now they're charging again and I'm gonna see how long they run on low. Other than battery life, the lights seem nice.

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by digglesworth View Post
    So I got my 2 from eBay the other day. I ran the lights for a little bit, then gave em a full charge. They only lasted about 1hr 15min on high. I thought maybe the batteries had to break in so I ran the lights til they turned off. Now they're charging again and I'm gonna see how long they run on low. Other than battery life, the lights seem nice.
    They don't need to be "broken in", and it's not good to fully discharge a li-ion battery. Also, when you ran them until they turned off, did you do it during a ride, or at least in front of a fan so air was moving over the light? You don't want to just turn these lights on HIGH and let them sit until the battery dies, you'll burn up the LED.

    They should last 2.5 to 3 hrs on high no problem. The manufacturers REALLY should include a care sheet with each bike light. Too many people mistreat their li-ion batteries, or burn up their LED's (because they don't know any better), then they complain when something stops working correctly.

  20. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    I think you should read my post no. 154. But you have to take the batt cover off to check the voltage. They dont need to break in since they are li-ions, you cannot run them empty with protection and they dont mean partial recharge.

    Quote Originally Posted by digglesworth View Post
    So I got my 2 from eBay the other day. Packaging was not that great. 2 kits were shoved into a little box with no padding or anything to protect them. I ordered some lenses from action led... I ran the lights for a little bit, then gave em a full charge. They only lasted about 1hr 15min on high. I thought maybe the batteries had to break in so I ran the lights til they turned off. Now they're charging again and I'm gonna see how long they run on low. Other than battery life, the lights seem nice.

  21. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    If your light is similiar, then it should have come with 8.4V/4400mAh battery pack. It is a 4 x 18650 ordered 2S2P giving you 8.4V and 2x2200mAh of capacity Driver takes care of the output voltage/current fed to the xml led.

    1. well, it might be glued to the alloy base, so the heatgun would help.
    2. I don't see the point. Perhaps you should post the light specs./foto here.
    Thanks for your response, MK. Although my light (ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-1800Lm-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Headlight-/180959002920) looks very similar, its 4 x 18650 battery must be all 4 in parallel, because the charged terminal voltage is only 3.9V and it is supplied with a 4.2V charger.

    This makes some engineering sense because these lights only have single LEDs with forward voltage of around 2.9V, so running them off 8.4V involves dropping a lot of volts, with corresponding waste of energy.

    That's a good suggestion to use some heat to loosen any glue holding the reflector. My second query arose from wanting to run this 4.2V light from another light's 8.4V battery, but I think I may have to return this one and buy another light explicitly advertised as 8.4V.

  22. #172
    mtbr member
    Reputation: phoenixnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by digglesworth View Post
    So I got my 2 from eBay the other day. Packaging was not that great. 2 kits were shoved into a little box with no padding or anything to protect them. I ordered some lenses from action led... I ran the lights for a little bit, then gave em a full charge. They only lasted about 1hr 15min on high. I thought maybe the batteries had to break in so I ran the lights til they turned off. Now they're charging again and I'm gonna see how long they run on low. Other than battery life, the lights seem nice.
    I get more than two hours out of mine with the light on high and out side temperatures below freezing.

    "So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

  23. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87
    I used a fan when I did the test. I put both lights on the bars and pointed a fan directly at them... I read somewhere that charge time was around 4 hrs. I tried to check the site where I got them but it said nothing about charging time. These chargers have an led that goes from red to green when it's charged. One turns green in about 2 hrs. The other takes just a little longer. I'm gonna do a test on low today. I'm supposed to go ride tonight but I need more than an hour of run time.

  24. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation: .Cheetah.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    Great reviews guys. This really helps because its now getting dark at 6:00 and going after work is done without one.

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87
    Well after a good charge last night, I ran one on high and one on low. The one on high cut off at 1.5hrs. I let the one on low burn til 2 hrs. I'm gonna have to break down and buy the genuine magic shine 808Es from action led. I'll tear into the batteries of these cheap-o knock offs sometime to see how they are connected. I have a good RC smart balance charger I may try too.

  26. #176
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by digglesworth View Post
    Well after a good charge last night, I ran one on high and one on low. The one on high cut off at 1.5hrs. I let the one on low burn til 2 hrs. I'm gonna have to break down and buy the genuine magic shine 808Es from action led. I'll tear into the batteries of these cheap-o knock offs sometime to see how they are connected. I have a good RC smart balance charger I may try too.
    You won't be disappointed. Nice bright spot and throws FAR!
    "Got everything you need?"

  27. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Ah, OK, now I see the point. Maybe you can drive this light with both 4,2 and 8,4V. If you can disassemble it and find out the driver type - maybe on CPF(candlepower) or BLF(budgetlights) forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by okthought View Post
    Thanks for your response, MK. Although my light (ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-1800Lm-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Headlight-/180959002920) looks very similar, its 4 x 18650 battery must be all 4 in parallel, because the charged terminal voltage is only 3.9V and it is supplied with a 4.2V charger.

    This makes some engineering sense because these lights only have single LEDs with forward voltage of around 2.9V, so running them off 8.4V involves dropping a lot of volts, with corresponding waste of energy.

    That's a good suggestion to use some heat to loosen any glue holding the reflector. My second query arose from wanting to run this 4.2V light from another light's 8.4V battery, but I think I may have to return this one and buy another light explicitly advertised as 8.4V.

  28. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    If one pack is "charged" earlier, than you can have unbalanced batteries inside the pack. If I assume the batteries are quite new and not damaged. You can take the cover off the pack and measure the voltage ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by digglesworth View Post
    I used a fan when I did the test. I put both lights on the bars and pointed a fan directly at them... I read somewhere that charge time was around 4 hrs. I tried to check the site where I got them but it said nothing about charging time. These chargers have an led that goes from red to green when it's charged. One turns green in about 2 hrs. The other takes just a little longer. I'm gonna do a test on low today. I'm supposed to go ride tonight but I need more than an hour of run time.

  29. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Does someone have a comparison of both of these lights? I think they will be almost the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    You won't be disappointed. Nice bright spot and throws FAR!

  30. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87
    The difference is quality.... The eBay lights are mass produced on street corners all over Asia. Manic shine actually does testing im sure... They're consistent and everything works how it should and as advertised.

  31. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by digglesworth View Post
    The difference is quality.... The eBay lights are mass produced on street corners all over Asia. Manic shine actually does testing im sure... They're consistent and everything works how it should and as advertised.
    Kind of a funny statement when one considers the conversations that were taking place here 3 years or so ago when the MS's first came on the scene.

  32. #182
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by okthought View Post
    Thanks for your response, MK. Although my light (ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-1800Lm-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Headlight-/180959002920) looks very similar, its 4 x 18650 battery must be all 4 in parallel, because the charged terminal voltage is only 3.9V and it is supplied with a 4.2V charger.

    This makes some engineering sense because these lights only have single LEDs with forward voltage of around 2.9V, so running them off 8.4V involves dropping a lot of volts, with corresponding waste of energy.
    :
    Just to keep the facts straight, the driver circuit reduces the voltage by switching the power on and off about 10,000 times a second. The power is feed into a capacitor to smooth it out. The amount of time on vs off is adjusted as the input voltage changes or to change the brightness.
    Efficiency varies from about 85% to 98% depending on the quality of the driver.
    This rapid on/off creates a weak radio (RF) signal that can interfere with some wireless bike computers.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  33. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    They don't need to be "broken in", and it's not good to fully discharge a li-ion battery. Also, when you ran them until they turned off, did you do it during a ride, or at least in front of a fan so air was moving over the light? You don't want to just turn these lights on HIGH and let them sit until the battery dies, you'll burn up the LED.

    They should last 2.5 to 3 hrs on high no problem. The manufacturers REALLY should include a care sheet with each bike light. Too many people mistreat their li-ion batteries, or burn up their LED's (because they don't know any better), then they complain when something stops working correctly.
    I'm a noob. What constitutes proper care? What should I and should I not be doing with these?
    Airborne Guardian

  34. #184
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by comphynum View Post
    I'm a noob. What constitutes proper care? What should I and should I not be doing with these?
    You can look here for some tips. BATTERY CARE
    Also check batteryuniversity.com for tons of information.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  35. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87

    Good job!

    That's a good article. Thanks for posting jim....

  36. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    The issue with cheap ebay lights is that they quote LED lumens and not OTF lumens. Actually the same can be said about a lot of lights. How hard the LED is driven also is a huge factor.

  37. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Perhaps, who knows. But a little electrical engineering would cost nothing and may be helpful

    Quote Originally Posted by digglesworth View Post
    The difference is quality.... The eBay lights are mass produced on street corners all over Asia. Manic shine actually does testing im sure... They're consistent and everything works how it should and as advertised.

  38. #188
    mtbr member
    Reputation: logbiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    You won't be disappointed. Nice bright spot and throws FAR!
    ActionLED has the Gemini Titan p7's back for $75 with that nice battery pack. I ordered another 1 yesterday when I noticed they were back in stock. I'd bet they won't last long.

    The one I've had for ~6 wks has awesome run time in low & med, ~7-8 hrs in my mixed commute use. I use low in the morn, just for driver visibility (~40min to daycare, then work pulling my son on his trail-a-bike) and ~15min home on brighter setting.

    Now I need to figure out how to mount one as rear light with the red lens.

    I've been following this thread a while and decided that the potential issues with the clones over using someone like Action-LED that ships from the US & has good customer service was worth the extra cost, especially since I'm pulling my 4 yr old half the time, I needed the reliability. I ordered yesterday after lunch & they had it in the mail same day!


  39. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    @logbiter: that's a great deal on the Titan. I have a riding buddy that uses one of those and it's a very nice light, definitely a step up from the P7 MJ808's. And that 5200mah is a great upgrade as well.

    And I wholeheartedly agree with getting a light from a quality vendor like Action-led-lights. ANY product can and will have issues, so paying a little extra for customer support and warranty service is a good investment. Plus, you're giving some business to people working in the US, which is always a good thing.
    "Got everything you need?"

  40. #190
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,643
    Ditto. I did the same and don't regret it.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  41. #191
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    I received my lights today (LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp 1000 Lumen CREE XML T6 | eBay) and the first impression is very good. I am really inexperienced in these matters but the lights look well made, the o-rings in connectors indeed offer better weather sealing, the battery pack in a nice Velcro case with two straps is in a quality-looking sealed soft rubber enclosure. Time to charge now and test tonight!

  42. #192
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Is it normal to sell 8V DC adapters as battery chargers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle HeadLight Lamp-20121109_175658.jpg  


  43. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    780
    [QUOTE=logbiter;9857392]
    Now I need to figure out how to mount one as rear light with the red lens.

    I've been running one mounted to the seat rails with a helmet mount like Jim suggests on his website. It's very stable and mounting the Titan under the seat keeps the power button far enough away from the seat post to easily adjust the power level while riding (although low is very bright) and also illuminates the rear tire which is good since there is no side visibility with this light (I'm working on a solution to this). I get lots of positive feedback from other riders and people in cars too.
    Mole

  44. #194
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Is it normal to sell 8V DC adapters as battery chargers?
    I would check it with a volt meter. It should be 8.4v. If it's less you won't get a full charge. If it's more it could over charge the battery (dangerous)
    .6A will be a very slow charge.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  45. #195
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Is it normal to sell 8V DC adapters as battery chargers?
    Hmm, my other xml clone chargers say 8.4v at 1A and usually fully charge in 4 hrs or less.

    In my case, I would just use one of my other chargers, but that would be a bummer if this is your only light.

    Keep up posted on whether it's fully charging the battery, and if so, how long it's taking.

  46. #196
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Hmm, my other xml clone chargers say 8.4v at 1A and usually fully charge in 4 hrs or less.

    In my case, I would just use one of my other chargers, but that would be a bummer if this is your only light.

    Keep up posted on whether it's fully charging the battery, and if so, how long it's taking.
    That will need some instrumentation since the adapter has no charging indicator. I can see where they cut corners in this set. Yes, I have a pair of these, no other lights, both came with the same AC adapter.

  47. #197
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87
    I'm thinking about piecing 2 kits together from Action LED. Gonna use 2 of the MS 808e heads and 2 of the 5600mah battery packs... It's only a few extra $$$ vs the complete kits w/ 4400mah packs. Anyone see anything wrong with that setup?

  48. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by digglesworth View Post
    I'm thinking about piecing 2 kits together from Action LED. Gonna use 2 of the MS 808e heads and 2 of the 5600mah battery packs... It's only a few extra $$$ vs the complete kits w/ 4400mah packs. Anyone see anything wrong with that setup?
    No problem with that setup, and I ran that for 1.5 years. However, after trying the MJ-872 on the bars I like it a lot better. The MJ-808's are great throwers with a tight spot, but not much spill. That's great for the helmet for directing 40+ feet out there, but up close I like a flood as opposed to a spot.
    "Got everything you need?"

  49. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87
    I have one of the wide angle lenses from action led in my eBay light on my bars and was pretty happy with the 10x30 degree beam. I left the helmet one alone as a spot. It has a smooth reflector so the spot is real tight on that one.

  50. #200
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by digglesworth View Post
    I'm thinking about piecing 2 kits together from Action LED. Gonna use 2 of the MS 808e heads and 2 of the 5600mah battery packs... It's only a few extra $$$ vs the complete kits w/ 4400mah packs. Anyone see anything wrong with that setup?
    There has been enough request for that upgrade so there is now a link in the MJ-808E listing to upgrade to the MJ-6030 battery for an additional $17. That way you get the chargers too.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CREE XM-L 1600 & 3800 lumen flashlights on eBay
    By ussprinceton2004 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 03:42 AM
  2. Serfas TSL-500 True 500 Lumen Headlight
    By skyflying1 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 05:42 AM
  3. 1800 lumen Regina batteries inc
    By troutie-mtb in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
  4. DIY headlight on the cheap with an MR16 LED lamp
    By Mtn-Rider in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 08:28 PM
  5. 1800 lumen Cateye tripleshot
    By troutie-mtb in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •