Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 397
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    I ordered the same light from a different Ebay seller, it took about a week to arrive from Hong Kong. The box it arrived in had no padding and the light set was crammed in there tight. Mine arrived with the bezel a little beat up, it looks to be damage from before the item was shipped. Also when I opened up the light casing there was a small shard of metal from the machining process. Other than those items the light and components looked good, neither of the defects really affect the performance so I probably won't send it back or complain. I might see if I can get a replacement bezel but I'm not to worried about it.

    I haven't taken it on a ride yet, but just flashing it around the yard it works great. I can't really compare it to anything meaningful but it is leaps and bounds brighter than what I was using (a Blackburn Mars light and Prince Tec Headlamp) and for the price I paid I am satisfied.

    I added the wide angle lens also, which I am glad I did. The spot was pretty intense and a little discouraging.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    38
    Very good review, thanks.

    I'm thinking of 2 of these, one with a wide angle lens on the bar and normal on the helmet. Does anyone have a trail beam shot of this combination as looking at the posters trail beam shots the wide lens seems to have 2 brighter spots either side of the centre of the trail but the standard light has good throw down the middle of the trail.

    I think 2 would give a good overall beam output.....
    Last edited by Gav888; 01-12-2012 at 11:50 PM.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spartacus001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    73
    Yeah. I does look that way but the two humps or bright spots on the trial is an illusion.
    It only appears brighter because the light is reflecting off the pile of leaves and absorbed by middle ground. The wide lens throws a relatively even beam in the shape of an hotdog with wide spillage.

    Yes. For trail riding, like you, I'd add pure throwere on my lid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gav888 View Post
    Very good review, thanks.
    ...trail beam shots the wide lens seems to have 2 brighter spots either side of the centre of the trail but the standard light has good throw down the middle of the trail.

    I think 2 would give a good overall beam output.....

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    Yeah. I does look that way but the two humps or bright spots on the trial is an illusion.
    It only appears brighter because the light is reflecting off the pile of leaves and absorbed by middle ground. The wide lens throws a relatively even beam in the shape of an hotdog with wide spillage.

    Yes. For trail riding, like you, I'd add pure throwere on my lid.
    Cheers for clarifying, about to order them now so perfect timing

    How is the light a few weeks in, still happy with it?

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spartacus001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    73
    So far, so good.
    The subzero temperatures has kept the light running very cool on the high setting.
    But there's 4" of snow on the ground today so this might be it for me until the spring thaw.

    I know I'm just being paranoid but I just started to worry clicky switch.
    The tail clicky on my cheap DX flashlight is starting to fail me after less then 200 cycles.
    Yes. I'm paranoid

    Let us know your experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gav888 View Post
    Cheers for clarifying, about to order them now so perfect timing

    How is the light a few weeks in, still happy with it?

  6. #31
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    329
    Seeing as there is so much talk about our lens I thought I'd add another use for it that one customer found. If you want to change your beam into more of a traditional flood that is both wide and tall, take 2 of the lenses and put them back to back at 90˚ to each other. (smooth sides together) It will change a 10˚ spot into a 30˚x 30˚ square. They found it was a great pattern for running or XC skiing, etc. but it may suit some riders also.

    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    38
    I have this link for the lens Wide Angle Lens for Magicshine, Lupine and Gemini Bike Lights | eBay but its a 39mm lens, I have had a nose around action led lights site:

    Reflector - Action-LED-Lights — MJ-808/808E/Titan Replacement Reflector

    Lens - Action-LED-Lights — Wide Angle Lens

    Will these fit these lights, there is no sizes for these and the info is sketchy for the adverts for the lights themselves, also is there any preference to go with Orange Peel or a Wide Angle len for a flood light?
    Last edited by Gav888; 01-13-2012 at 04:14 PM.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav888 View Post

    Will these fit these lights, there is no sizes for these and the info is sketchy for the adverts for the lights themselves, also is there any preference to go with Orange Peel or a Wide Angle len for a flood light?
    I think you're over thinking it.
    You can get both of these for less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks...

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    So far, so good.
    The subzero temperatures has kept the light running very cool on the high setting.
    But there's 4" of snow on the ground today so this might be it for me until the spring thaw.

    I know I'm just being paranoid but I just started to worry clicky switch.
    The tail clicky on my cheap DX flashlight is starting to fail me after less then 200 cycles.
    Yes. I'm paranoid

    Let us know your experience.
    Well the lights arrived at last, opened the box being all excited like a kid at xmas, first impression I was surprised how small they where, then turned the light round and there was an orange peel reflector, hang on I though, looked closer and there is a P7 LED installed........ The guy sent me 2 P7's and not 2 XML's

    Now waiting for the replacement lights!

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spartacus001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    73
    That sucks man.
    Sorry to hear about your experience.
    Maybe you can negotiate keeping the OP reflector as concilation

    Which vendor did you use?

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    That sucks man.
    Sorry to hear about your experience.
    Maybe you can negotiate keeping the OP reflector as concilation

    Which vendor did you use?
    Tempting to keep the OP reflector lol, it was a guy off eBay (no really! )
    Last edited by Gav888; 01-22-2012 at 12:17 AM.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Seeing as there is so much talk about our lens I thought I'd add another use for it that one customer found. If you want to change your beam into more of a traditional flood that is both wide and tall, take 2 of the lenses and put them back to back at 90˚ to each other. (smooth sides together) It will change a 10˚ spot into a 30˚x 30˚ square. They found it was a great pattern for running or XC skiing, etc. but it may suit some riders also.

    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    Jim, thanks for the tip. I just wanted to let you know that the post got noticed. Not that I need something for more flood but for curiosity's sake I almost feel like buying a couple of these lenses just to see what this would look like.

    In keeping with this line of thought I wish someone would make lenses for torches that could provide the same kind of beam pattern as the Action lenses. As it stands, the only thing available for torches that I'm aware of is frosted lenses which tend to waste a lot of light so really not the same thing.

  13. #38
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Jim, thanks for the tip. I just wanted to let you know that the post got noticed. Not that I need something for more flood but for curiosity's sake I almost feel like buying a couple of these lenses just to see what this would look like.

    In keeping with this line of thought I wish someone would make lenses for torches that could provide the same kind of beam pattern as the Action lenses. As it stands, the only thing available for torches that I'm aware of is frosted lenses which tend to waste a lot of light so really not the same thing.
    If your torch happened to have a 39mm lens it would certainly work. If it's smaller and your willing to do a little work, (as I suspect most readers of this thread are willing to do) you could grind it down to the proper size.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    26
    Woops....wrong thread....
    Last edited by matchpoint; 01-20-2012 at 02:11 PM.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    637
    Last night i finally ordered one of the ebay lights, one with a red bezel shipped from brooklyn. Should be here in time for next wed night ride. I also ordered the OP reflector and wide angle lens from action to see the real life differences. This will be a temporary light until i build my own!

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    38
    Finally got the XML T6 lights, OMG these are good lights, so bright!!
    Last edited by Gav888; 01-22-2012 at 12:15 AM.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spartacus001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    73
    Glad they resolved the lights for you
    How would you say they compared to the P7?

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    Great Light but had trouble finding a place to put the Battery Pack when I had the light mounted on mjy helmet. I found a great compact mini backpack listed on ebay. It is perfect for carrying the battery pack as well as a few esential items such as cell phone, wallet or credit card, or spare tube and tools, etc. Search on ebay for Bicycling compact Backpack or Cycling Mini Backpack. Very reasonable price and free shiping.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry T. View Post
    Great Light but had trouble finding a place to put the Battery Pack when I had the light mounted on mjy helmet.
    Get a Camelbak Rogue. Camelbak Rogue 70 oz. Hydration Pack - 2011 Model

    Top zipper pocket is perfect for holding the battery pack for your helmet light.

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry T. View Post
    Yeah a camelback or other hydration unit usually works but when I ride in the fall and winter I don't use one. The mini compact backpack available on ebay costs less and also has room for items like a cell phone, a lightweioght jacket, or a spare tube and tools.
    Here in Texas, you need a camelback even in the fall/winter. It hit 72 today.

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3

    This is a better deal

    Yeah a camelback or other hydration unit usually works but when I ride in the fall and winter I don't use one. The mini compact backpack available on ebay costs less and also has room for items like a cell phone, a lightweioght jacket, or a spare tube and tools.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,169
    I usually drop the battery into a jersey pocket or jacket pocket. For me it's easier that way when I take off the pack for a rest stop or any other reason.

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry T. View Post
    Yeah a camelback or other hydration unit usually works but when I ride in the fall and winter I don't use one. The mini compact backpack available on ebay costs less and also has room for items like a cell phone, a lightweioght jacket, or a spare tube and tools.
    Another thing that works quite well ( as long as you don't have too big of a gut ) is the fanny pack. That is as long as you don't mind the cord going down your back. Not too many people use fanny-packs anymore since the Camelback / backpack style hydration packs came along but before then everyone used them.

    Not sure I would go with the ebay thing. Some items you just have to see, inspect and try on before buying and a backpack would be one of them.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    How would you say they compared to the P7?
    Funny you mention that - eBay XML T6 vs P7 Beam Review

  25. #50
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    329
    Something else anyone buying one of these cheap imitation MJ808s needs to consider, there are dozens if not more small companies that have jumped on the LED bike light band wagon. If you have been to the Shenzhen industrial district ,or really any town in China, the streets are lined with little 20 ft wide shops, many with a couple of CNC lathes in them. Every body and their brother hears that there's good money in making bike lights so they give it a go. The components are easy to pick up at the Electronics Mart (heaven for any DIY guy). When you see all these listings on E-Bay that all look like the same light they may of may not be the same. If their making up a number for the output (1800 lumens - oh come on now) then if they claim a bin for the LED it may or may not be true. They may or may not even know what a bin is. If one XM-L is way brighter than a given P7, the XM-L may be a T6 bin and the P7 may be a K bin. The batteries are probably the cheapest available, the wire may be finely stranded for repeated bending or it may be like the early MS lights that broke at the bend points after a few months. The connectors may or may not be rated for the current involved. (MS went though that problem early on too) As you have found some come with a OP reflector and some with a smooth. When I was last at the Electronics Mart there were half a dozen vendors there selling completed lights.
    In short, when you talk about "THE" E-Bay 1800 lumen light you are really talking about "A" E-Bay light.
    I won't say Magicshine is the greatest company. Anybody who has dealt with them will tell you it's a pain in the behind. But they are trying to build a good light with consistent quality. They have brought a lot of production in house (like the charger) because they couldn't get consistent performance from purchased ones. Add to that the 100% testing that any good light vendor does and in house warranty, and you can be fairly certain of what your getting and you know your money won't be wasted.

    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CREE XM-L 1600 & 3800 lumen flashlights on eBay
    By ussprinceton2004 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 03:42 AM
  2. Serfas TSL-500 True 500 Lumen Headlight
    By skyflying1 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 05:42 AM
  3. 1800 lumen Regina batteries inc
    By troutie-mtb in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
  4. DIY headlight on the cheap with an MR16 LED lamp
    By Mtn-Rider in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 08:28 PM
  5. 1800 lumen Cateye tripleshot
    By troutie-mtb in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •