Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Thanks. I've made UI to my liking, but it can be made to suit anyones liking. About 3XML: hopefully, it can. But, as I'm not planning on buying triple any time soon, someone else will have to check that.

mtbr member
    Wow.
    80K+ views and counting. I'm flattered with the ongoing discussion since my original post a year ago.

Time for an update:

After a year of moderate use the battery capacity is only functioning at 20%.
    I always carry 3 light sources but 2 of them failed because of battery issues.
    On my commute home last night the Ebay light cut out at around 35mins (high) after an overnight charge. I had to finish the ride with only a small blinker and 10km was in pitch dark.

The original charger died after 6 months and had to be replaced.
    So now I plan on building a custom 2S2P battery pack with a set of high quality 3100mAH 18650s

In the end it costed me $60+ for a year of lighting. *meh*
    Nothing lasts forever but I was expecting a little more longevity then a year.

In hind sight, if I had to do it all over again I would spend a little more money for a quality light. So if you have this light or you're considering it, don't set your expectations too high. You get what you pay for.

I'll keep you guys posted on my build.
    Last edited by spartacus001; 12-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think you should get a LiPo battery from hobbyking, as bobale suggested. You loose headache, and you can get a 2S1P 8000mAh for a price of 2 18650 panasonics. You just need a hobby charger(perhaps also from hbkg) to charge it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    Wow.
    80K+ views and counting. I'm flattered with the ongoing discussion since my original post a year ago.

Time for an update:

After a year of moderate use the battery capacity is only functioning at 20%.
    I always carry 3 light sources but 2 of them failed because of battery issues.
    On my commute home last night the Ebay light cut out at around 35mins (high) after an overnight charge. I had to finish the ride with only a small blinker and 10km was in pitch dark.

The original charger died after 6 months and had to be replaced.
    So now I plan on building a custom 2S2P battery pack with a set of high quality 3100mAH 18650s

In the end it costed me $60+ for a year of lighting. *meh*
    Nothing lasts forever but I was expecting a little more longevity then a year.

In hind sight, if I had to do it all over again I would spend a little more money for a quality light. So if you have this light or you're considering it, don't set your expectations too high. You get what you pay for.

I'll keep you guys posted on my build.

mtbr member

LiPo battery

My 14yo son has a lot of RC planes/cars they use LiPo so he has several including the chargers.

What size do I need? I guess I'd have to bribe him to solder on different connectors, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I think you should get a LiPo battery from hobbyking, as bobale suggested. You loose headache, and you can get a 2S1P 8000mAh for a price of 2 18650 panasonics. You just need a hobby charger(perhaps also from hbkg) to charge it properly.

mtbr member
    You'll need 2S battery, whichever capacity will get you job done.

mtbr member
    Hey Patski,

Thank you for the generous offer.
    I've already order parts so I can use after market 18650 batteries with an external charger.
    My build thread is on the way at:
    Needing Expert Advice with a 4-cell 2P2S build

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    My 14yo son has a lot of RC planes/cars they use LiPo so he has several including the chargers.

What size do I need? I guess I'd have to bribe him to solder on different connectors, etc...

mtbr member
    OK, lifebike2011 finally "found" my returned light, a new one is on it's way...

Only took 2 months, now let's see how long it takes to get here....

patski

My lighthead died the FIRST time I used it, I got it from lifebike2011

The button on the back still glows but nothing... tried several batteries...

It's been more than 14days, "top rated seller," we'll see if they will help...

CREE XML XM-L T6 1800LM LED Bicycle bike Head Light Lamp/Bicycle Light SET | eBay

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Since the RC hobby type LiPo battery does not have a protection circuit, it will be possible to overdischarge and cause damage to the battery. As long as you are careful to not drain below 6V for this type of light you will be OK.

It would also be a good idea to install a fuse or PTC fuse in the circuit at the battery to prevent burning up the wiring in the event of a short circuit.

mtbr member
    You'll need one of these
    Tenergy 32005 PCB for 7.2V / 7.4V Li-PO and Li-ion 18650 / 18500 7.2V Battery Packs
    this will protect your battery

mtbr member
    Thanks for that link.
    If I wire in a PCB can I still use protected cells in the holder without any ill-effects?

Here is my make-shift replacement pack for now:
    My project link is here:
    Needing Expert Advice with a 4-cell 2P2S build

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the review, think i'll get one

Surfin' da mountain
    I've read a lot about battery pack issues.
    - Does anyone know if a good replacement battery from Magicshine is compatible?
    - Has anyone had a Battery+ store replace the cells in the battery pack?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think most of us done the replacement on our own. The compatibility depends on the connector you have as the lights come with different connectors

Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu View Post
    I've read a lot about battery pack issues.
    - Does anyone know if a good replacement battery from Magicshine is compatible?
    - Has anyone had a Battery+ store replace the cells in the battery pack?

Surfin' da mountain
    I think most of us done the replacement on our own. The compatibility depends on the connector you have as the lights come with different connectors
    Cool thanks. I just ordered a China Cheapo (Magicshine knock-off) through Amazon. I have a Light & Motion Arc (HID) and the battery for that is now down to 30 mins. run time. The HID is freakin' amazing, but I can buy 5 magic shine knock-offs for price of a replacement L&M L/ion Battery.

I may still splurge for the L&M Battery to use the ARC another few years, but find it hard to buy another proprietary battery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu View Post
    Cool thanks. I just ordered a China Cheapo (Magicshine knock-off) through Amazon. I have a Light & Motion Arc (HID) and the battery for that is now down to 30 mins. run time. The HID is freakin' amazing, but I can buy 5 magic shine knock-offs for price of a replacement L&M L/ion Battery.

I may still splurge for the L&M Battery to use the ARC another few years, but find it hard to buy another proprietary battery.
    I'm right there with you.
    My Niterider Moab battery is down to about 1.5 hours....and now the switch ( or maybe the board inside) is funked up ( it toggles between the HID and leds....no brightness levels or off)....but it still works
    The price of these clones , I can get a couple of lights cheaper than a battery or switch repair.

mtbr member
    Yay, my replacement light from lifebike2011 arrived yesterday, exactly 3mos from the date I mailed it to them....

OK, lifebike2011 finally "found" my returned light, a new one is on it's way...

Only took 2 months, now let's see how long it takes to get here....

patski

the half breed devil
    i've just purchased this system from amazon for $20!

can anybody tell me how well the helmet strap works?

mtbr member
    $20? Damn, that's cheap! Please, share link here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Fulfilled by Amazon: 27.40 with free shipping
    From the cheapest seller: 20.91 + 6.48 shipping, which by my math is 27.39

Whoever set the price was no dummy.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips

mtbr member
    I cut straps off, trimmed the plastic down to a minimum for weight savings and used a ziptie.

Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle HeadLight Lamp-016.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    i've just purchased this system from amazon for $20! can anybody tell me how well the helmet strap works?

the half breed devil
    I cut straps off, trimmed the plastic down to a minimum for weight savings and used a ziptie.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	769953
    i think that's the route i'm going to take.

it's what i was thinking of.

the half breed devil
    so my package arrived in the mail today from this shipper, who is located in chino hills, ca. it took the weekend for the item to process and ship to san francisco.

there's no instruction manual with this thing to speak of. does anybody have an idea of the charge time from a near-complete discharge?

i've also found a way to rig the lamp assembly to my old niterider helmet mount. note that i have a small piece of velcro attached to the helmet and the mount. i've yet to field test this set up though but i will post a report ASAP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle HeadLight Lamp-dscn1725.jpg  

Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle HeadLight Lamp-dscn1726.jpg  

Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle HeadLight Lamp-dscn1727.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice adapting with the Velcro patch.
    I think a full charge took me ~10 hrs.
    Make sure you never leave the charging unattended.

Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    Nice adapting with the Velcro patch.
    I think a full charge took me ~10 hrs.
    Make sure you never leave the charging unattended.

Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light
    mother of dog...

explosions! really?

looks like i'll be charging this thing in an old metal cake pan, then...

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast