Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Hot Dang! Mole, I knew one of us would buckle...LOL Looking forward to your review.
    I thought someone would take up EFMax's offer on post 31 first.

"I have a spare light (the one that got toasted when I gave it 16v.. if you wanted to pick it apart to see what is inside then you are more than welcome, just PM me with your details and I will happily send it to you for you to break it down without wasting your money."

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    .... If your driver is full direct drive you can get about 12amps or so for a brief period before voltage drops too much.
    I'm using Panasonic NCR18650GA protected cells and it hasn't been that warm here yet, mine's quite usable. It says 10 amps on the side of the EVVA cell but I doubt its drawing all of it. Driver is a Fet plus 7135. About 90 seconds on 6 (high) until Bistro starts stepping down, then it drops a level every 20 seconds and stabilizes around level 3 at room temperature. It gets hot especially around the pill section and while uncomfortable I can still hold onto it, the battery is a little above lukewarm but I don't let it heat soak. I haven't changed the temperature setting, its whatever Richard defaults it to.

Once the Led's show up for the 90cri floody one I'm going to lower the temp an see if it will ramp back up. A non-fet Bistro driver in a single emitter light might be perfect if you only need a little run-time to finish off an evening road ride.

When an Ituo cell trips the protection circuit does it reset automatically or have to go into a charger? How many amps are the 3200's rated for?

mtbr member
    Received an email from the folks @ C&B Seen today. They offered an apology for the delay in shipping and offered a refund to me if I didn't care to wait till they reopened from their company holiday. Sounds like they will be good people to work with and of course I declined the refund offer. They also estimated shipping would take 3 - 5 days to the US so I guess I'll have to wait it out till the end of the month.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Received an email from the folks @ C&B Seen today. They offered an apology for the delay in shipping and offered a refund to me if I didn't care to wait till they reopened from their company holiday. Sounds like they will be good people to work with and of course I declined the refund offer. They also estimated shipping would take 3 - 5 days to the US so I guess I'll have to wait it out till the end of the month

Mole
    MRM, You should of told them that the product was going to be reviewed on the very popular MTBReview website.. I bet they would of made an exception and had the lamp ship out ASAP, ( perhaps maybe at no cost... ) Hopefully, they won't charge your card till they ship the lamp.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    What holiday is like a month long? Chinese New year is long over for this year lol.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    To satisfy the curious Cat, I did mention the light was going to be reviewed but didn't identify MTBR as the forum location (that must have been my mistake). PayPal also deducted the amount immediately upon placing the order. Ideal or not non of this will matter when I get the light.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I was looking through the on-line manuals for this light and found some interesting/unusual data.

Operating temperature range:

-10 - 50 (C) or 14 - 122 (F)

Thermal step-down temperature:

80 (C) or 176 (F)

Well it looks like it's rated to run OK even on the hottest nights here in Phoenix. Will not purposely be testing the thermal threshold temperature @ 176 degrees. Steps down to low when thermal protection activated which would be 10% (factory setting) unless low means what ever you set low to.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I was looking through the on-line manuals for this light and found some interesting/unusual data.

Operating temperature range:

-10 - 50 (C) or 14 - 122 (F)

Thermal step-down temperature:

80 (C) or 176 (F)

Well it looks like it's rated to run OK even on the hottest nights here in Phoenix. Will not purposely be testing the thermal threshold temperature @ 176 degrees. Steps down to low when thermal protection activated which would be 10% (factory setting) unless low means what ever you set low to.
    Mole
    Keep in mind if the thermal sensor is placed at or near the center of the lamp that the center is likely to heat up much faster than the outside of the lamp body. On the highest modes I would expect the lamp to enter thermal step-down quite fast. Of course all depends on how much current is being supplied per emitter as to how fast it heats up. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Looking ahead, perhaps you can persuade Vanc to make a larger than normal heat-sink GoPro adapter.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind if the thermal sensor is placed at or near the center of the lamp that the center is likely to heat up much faster than the outside of the lamp body. On the highest modes I would expect the lamp to enter thermal step-down quite fast. Of course all depends on how much current is being supplied per emitter as to how fast it heats up. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Looking ahead, perhaps you can persuade Vanc to make a larger than normal heat-sink GoPro adapter.
    I thought the thermal range and step down threshold seemed strange because my understanding is that most emitters have a max. recommended temp range of 150F which matches almost all lights I've tested. Just figured it was worth mentioning. OP's comments (below) about the lights thermal characteristics seem to indicate overheating is not an issue so that's encouraging. If the light performs well and ends up getting use regularly it will definitely warrant a "Vancbiker mount".
    Mole

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by EFMax View Post
    Size wise, it is about the same as the Lupine Wilma (I still have one somewhere).. heat wise, when I tried it indoors, first with no fan, it got warm then it got hot but it stayed on for a good 20mins before I decided to put the fan over it.. I am guessing that with temps around 15*c at night in the warmer UK times, while moving, it should not really be an issue.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Mole,

Actually most Cree emitters are rated at 85C. That's why their data sheets give a lumen number at 25C and 85C.

Lights that the thermal step down is lower is because as was said, center is going to get hotter faster. So the emitters are pushing a bit higher temperature than the housing.

Then also most lights the sensor is driver mounted. As nother matter of LEDs are going on be hotter. Only one I've seen that's not is Ituo.

80C thermal protection setting is just a really bad idea unless your running a fairly high end driver as well. 85C rated driver components are not near as cheap.

Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Mole,

Actually most Cree emitters are rated at 85C. That's why their data sheets give a lumen number at 25C and 85C.

Lights that the thermal step down is lower is because as was said, center is going to get hotter faster. So the emitters are pushing a bit higher temperature than the housing.

Then also most lights the sensor is driver mounted. As nother matter of LEDs are going on be hotter. Only one I've seen that's not is Ituo.

80C thermal protection setting is just a really bad idea unless your running a fairly high end driver as well. 85C rated driver components are not near as cheap.

I guess memory didn't serve me very well on that. Important thing is it seems like the thermal threshold is set a bit high for the lights electronics reliability which was the reason I mentioned it. Makes sense that the internal temp. will be higher than lights case temp. Will test case temp. up to 150F but won't purposely go beyond that point. Only a couple of months away from 100 degree night time ride temps. here, it'll be interesting to see if the light will activate its thermal protection under those conditions.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I found out today that the light has been shipped. Going by the 3-5 business day shipping estimate I was given I should have it next week sometime and be able to post current draw and some light-meter readings compared to some of my other lights. Maybe even a glamour shot or two mounted on one of my bikes!
    Mole

mtbr member
    It came today!!! I measured a few things that I'll list here. Light looks pretty nice for the price they're asking. I'll write more when I get a chance to do a ride with it (tomorrow maybe) but here's what I've got so far.

Weight W/QR mount: 146 grams

Battery draw: 2.75 amp. (power level 10)

Lux readings @ 2 meters/...Bounce Test..............Center Beam (Lux x 100)

C&B Seen 7 LED.....................249.5..................... ...65.5

Ituo XP3................................295.7.......... ..............97.1

Nitefighter BT70.....................197...................... .....59.4

Nitefighter BT40S....................141.1.................... ...26.9

My lumen estimate would be a little over 2000. Beam width affects bounce test results though so without a test ride this is only a rough estimate.
    Mole

Review: C&B Seen 7up-003.jpg

Review: C&B Seen 7up-002.jpg
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 2 Days Ago at 06:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Hmm . . . so 2.75A x 2 = 5.5A. 5.5A/7 = 0.786A per emitter. According to djozz's test of an XP-G3 here (assuming same bin) an XP-G3 outputs approximately 375 lumens at 0.75A. 375 x 7 = 2,625. 20% loss for optics (total guess) = 2,100 lumens. These are very rough estimates, but 2,000 lumens is reasonable.

Would love to hear more on this light. How is beam pattern compared to a BT40S?

-Garry

mtbr member

QR Mount & Remote

Here's some pictures of the very nice QR mount and wireless remote supplied with the light. Mount is plastic (flat finish) but looks quite strong, attaches smoothly, allows for horizontal adjustments but unfortunately wont fit 35mm bars. Band attached remote mount looks like it will work fine but need to ride with it to give a proper evaluation. If the wind dies down I'll go out tonight to see how it all works on a actual ride. Looks good so far.
    Mole

Review: C&B Seen 7up-001.jpg

Review: C&B Seen 7up-006.jpg

Review: C&B Seen 7up-007.jpg

Review: C&B Seen 7up-008.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ......but unfortunately wont fit 35mm bars.
    I'm pretty sure one of my MagicShine to GoPro adapters would be a straight bolt-on fit to that light. And you already have a 35mm GpPro mount....
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    OK Vanc, here's what it looks like under the mount. Lots of flat area to work with.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    MagicShine version for a non-finned adapter and a Nitefighter BT70 version if one wanted heatsink fins on the adapter, would work.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member

First Ride

First ride was mostly positive. Very impressed with beam pattern, light intensity and remote functionality.

Would love to hear more on this light. How is beam pattern compared to a BT40S?

-Garry
    Beam pattern not as wide, tons more throw. Looking at the center-beam lux #'s I posted a couple of threads back the almost 2.5x light intensity is a good indication of how much extra throw you get. Would still consider this a flood though. It just relies on softer spill light in the foreground and concentrates more of it's power quite a bit further out compared to the BT40S flooding the foreground with light at the expense of beam reach. C&B Seen is a far better light for going fast! Pared with a Gloworm X2 on my helmet the X2 hardly provided any extra visibility except when looking to either side. The C&B Seen light also matched the X2 emitter tint which is my only disappointment in the lights performance. Gloworms tend to have a little warmer tint than typical Gemini/Magicshine/Niterider lights but this is still a cool white light. That being said emphasizes how good the beam pattern is since I could run this light a lot hotter than my typical cool white lumen limit without the usual glare related issues. "The Mayor" would have loved this light.

Bar mount worked perfectly, stable and easy to adjust. Had less luck with the remote mount though. Thin rubber bands don't provide enough tension to keep the remote stable. Putting a red Gemini band on seemed to help quite a lot so will try this on the next ride. Wireless remote worked awesome (best I've tried so far) in spite of the unstable mount.

For a little over $50 delivered I'm pretty happy with this light. I really just bought it for testing and to try a wireless remote but even though I prefer neutral white tints for most situations this is definitely not a light-head that's just going to sit in my light box.
    Mole

Vancbiker - I have a BT70 with one of you finned mounts so I'll have to give it a try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I appreciate the additional feedback and supplement that you have added here, thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EFMax View Post
    I appreciate the additional feedback and supplement that you have added here, thank you.
    Thank you for introducing us to this company. I'm not sure how familiar you are with their product line but I spotted a couple of things in their accessory section that may be of interest to others on MTBR. Do you have or have you seen the 2 cell battery box or the helmet flashlight mount? Pictures and descriptions are pretty poor on the C&B Seen website so I was wondering if you had any experience with these products?
    Mole

mtbr member
    Wow! $18 + shipping for that 2 cell case! Wonder how good it is? Thanks for the heads up Mole.

Also, that beam pattern sounds very usable. Too bad it's not neutral white.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thank you for introducing us to this company. I'm not sure how familiar you are with their product line but I spotted a couple of things in their accessory section that may be of interest to others on MTBR. Do you have or have you seen the 2 cell battery box or the helmet flashlight mount? Pictures and descriptions are pretty poor on the C&B Seen website so I was wondering if you had any experience with these products?
    Mole
    No I have not.. I use a rather big LiPo battery setup in a water bottle so I have not bothered with any other power source.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12