the half breed devil

recommendation for helmet mounted light

looking for a helmet mounted system using a rechargeable battery small enough to stuff in a jersey pocket if possible and under $100.

i'm not well versed on the latest and greatest systems so i thought i'd ask here.

thanks in advance for your suggestions!

mtbr member
    Have you tried the search function? A quick scan of page 1 of this forum yields this.

For a helmet light with a rechargeable Li-Ion battery, in your budget, you're most likely going to be looking at the MagicShine MJ808e, or one of a myriad of Chinese XML clones commonly found on eBay.

the half breed devil
    thanks, fuzzy. i did use the search function.

however, the link you provided yields this which is intriguing.

JETBEAM ST CYCLER XM-L T6 - Cycle and Outdoor flashlight

anybody?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    thanks, fuzzy. i did use the search function.

however, the link you provided yields this which is intriguing.

JETBEAM ST CYCLER XM-L T6 - Cycle and Outdoor flashlight

anybody?
    For helmet use, I'd specifically avoid that light because it requires both hands to change modes, being a twist-head-to-change type. For a small lightweight light, consider the ShiningBeam S-Mini instead. The S-Mini comes in two variants: the XP-G emitter (more throw) or the XM-L (more flood). I have one of each and usually use the XP-G. I just loop a rubber band through my helmet vents and over each end of the flashlight, works well enough. The light with a battery loaded is about 90 grams.

If you don't have any 18650 batteries yet, or a charger, then make sure you buy protected 18650s, which have a circuit that prevents dangerous overcharging or damaging over-discharging. Once you've bought into 18650, you can upgrade to newer flashlights as LEDs keep improving.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Universal Cycles has the 2012 Night Rider Minewt 300 plus on close out for $74.99. Great light, includes helmet mount, etc. I used one I'm my handlebars all season and recently ordered one on close out for helmet use.

turtles make me hot
    Amazon.com: CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight HeadLamp 1200LM Red: Sports & Outdoors

A whole bunch of my friends have this light. For the money, in my opinion, it's unbeatable.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    On eBay currently there is a Cygolite Expilion 700 (700 Lumen Max output) Light for $118 or best offer. I have this light and it's great. Several different lighting modes and is capable of max output for almost 2 hours which is more than enough for a nice night ride. Plus it's really light and has the integrated battery which I like. Offer up a hundred bucks and you've got a great deal. I paid $145 for mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    NYrr496 - Honestly that light looks way better! Thing is awesome for 40 bucks! Thanks for the link, I may buy one myself now to have an extra.