mtbr member

Recommend a light for helment use (lighter is better)

I've got two Magicshine lights (last year's model before all of the new upgrades and options), each reported at 900 lumen. I've been running on on my bars and another on my helmet, with the battery for the helmet light in my pack.

I'd like to find a lighter helmet light, with the option to have the battery small enough to be mounted on my helmet (so I can ride without a pack).

Admittedly, I don't know much about lights or what options exist. I stumbled on the MS lights as a low-cost option for getting into night riding. Ideally I'd keep the cost under $200 and the lumens around or over 1000. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Look for Scar on this forum or the diy lights forum. He builds the Amoeba lights. First class product by someone who uses lights regularly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Gemini Xera with the 2 cell battery.

FWIW...the Magicshines actually put out about 650 lumens.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Gemini Xera with the 2 cell battery.

FWIW...the Magicshines actually put out about 650 lumens.
    Right on, gmcttr. The Xera obliterates the older Magicshine 808s. Is tiny in comparison and is about twice as bright. I think the old MS hit around 37 - 40 lux on the MTBR tests. Xera came in around 71 lux. Anyway, I have both (actually have 4 sets of 808s) and a Xera, the Xera is far superior, and so small.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. Will check it out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

If lighter is better...

I really like the Xera, but it's still 175g

I use a Zebralight SC600w. 135g with battery and I can barely tell it's up there. The regular (cool white) version is nearly the same brightness as the Xera, though it's more floody than the narrow optic Xera.

They have a great boost driver in the light and it easily gets 2hrs on high with a Panasonic 3100Ah battery for me. I also tend to not use my helmet light for the whole ride since I have regular bar lights, so I have no problem with 4 hour rides

I use a lightweight twofish lock mount, works great, but make sure it fits your helmet. If you have a vertical or horizontal bar in the center on top one of the twofish styles should work.

A plethora of pinatas
    I run a Baja Strykr SL on my helmet and it works great. I mount it in the center of my head and put the battery in my jersey pocket.

The small weight penalty is worth being able to see better out there, IMHO.
    Marty

mtbr member
    All good choices by the above people. Minimal weight on the helmet is where it is at. Still, all things considered you still want as much distance throw at you can get. The Xeccon S-12 ( XM-L U2 ) while not the lightest lamp head out there is reasonably cheap and will throw like the dickens.

On my last ride I rode on trails that were constantly weaving and line of sight was short. On trails like that a "thrower" lamp is not what you need. On those trails the Gloworm X2 would of been the better lamp to use on the lid. It is very light weight and very easy to adjust on the fly with the nice tilting mount.

I too use a torch on the helmet ( on occasion ) which also serves me very well at times. However when the colder weather comes I tend to favor standard bike lights because I am usually riding longer in the dark.

I, like Vancbiker am impressed with the "Amoeba" lights sold and made by Scar. I understand there is a new duel "XP-G2" Amoeba out now. That should make a sweet little helmet lamp. Since these lamps are reflector based they should give any single XM-L lamp a run for the money. For the record I've never seen an Amoeba light in person but from what I've read about them on MTB'r, most people who have bought them have been very pleased. They are small, they are light-weight and very low profile. They might not be the fanciest looking lights but I'll take function over fancy any day of the week.

Lots of good choices out there right now. Regardless in the next couple weeks you are going to start seeing some more lamps designed with helmet use in mind. It might be worth waiting a little longer before you pull the trigger on a new lamp.

mtbr member
    +2 for the Amoeba. Scar has an amazing product. Very low profile on the helmet and plenty of light. Yes, they do cost a bit more, but you really get a top quality product.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    does not exist !?
    once you put the battery on the helmet, it is going to be more weight,
    then having the battery in the backpack.
    1000 lumens ? even the new piko , has 900 .
    for most parts no 1000 lumen, light ones, maybe for bragging rights.
    since if you do find one, you will not get any decent runtime out of a 2-cell,...
    so back to 4-cell + to get runtime,
    other option to buy a couple 2-cell, stop and change, yea right,
    most riders, don't want to pay!! , carry the weight, or get caught, changing the battery, wait for me ,...
    $200 bucks, me too, a piko with spare battery more like $500,
    now the piko, does have a smaller battery, but that's also for runners / hiking,...
    since they don't need to blast the trail.

keep what you got, it is lighter already .
    wanna do it right ?
    get a new light-weight helmet, and a piko, $500-700 should get you there.
    that's with a spare battery and decent lid.

if you can jump over your shadow,
    support your local custom light builder.
    might not be as slick , light , or cheap.
    It's custom !

cheers, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I've got two Magicshine lights (last year's model before all of the new upgrades and options), each reported at 900 lumen. I've been running on on my bars and another on my helmet, with the battery for the helmet light in my pack.

I'd like to find a lighter helmet light, with the option to have the battery small enough to be mounted on my helmet (so I can ride without a pack).

Admittedly, I don't know much about lights or what options exist. I stumbled on the MS lights as a low-cost option for getting into night riding. Ideally I'd keep the cost under $200 and the lumens around or over 1000. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101 View Post
    does not exist !?

wanna do it right ?
    thanks for the suggestion, but I think, based on what others have suggested already, that I would disagree with some of your points. The MS battery is too big to wear on my helmet comfortably, however when I compare it to, for example, the Gemini Duo, it seems that battery is significantly smaller and the run time sufficient while delivering a claimed 1400 lumen for less than the ~$500-700 that you suggested I spend on a new helmet and a Piko.

mtbr member
    I'll just go and add another two cents to the mix...

A lot of the single XM-L based lamps can work very well on the helmet and are not very heavy. They can be run with a two cell battery on the helmet. Whither or not the additional weight of the battery makes the set-up too heavy depends on the preferences of the person using the set-up ( and the helmet being used as some helmets work better than others )

Personally I have no love for a heavy set-up on the helmet. I also have a history of neck problems. That said I used a two cell with a MS 808E, Gloworm X2 and Xeccon X-12 without too much problem. The only real issue is run time. If you can run a lower ( or mid level ) of light most of the time the two cell should last a good long time. I've done complete 2.5hr rides using just a single cell in a torch. If you're willing to turn the helmet light off when not needed or just run at mid-level, even a single cell can last quite a while. Once again, a lot depends on what kind of trails you're riding ( and the projected ride time ) as to what set-up is best.

mtbr member
    I have about a dozen rides now with the Duo and can say its staying on my helmet for keeps, Im getting used to not having a hotspot and having all that extra spread,
    now if they come out with spot lens lookout.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm a more bar light oriented rider by choice, so am quite happy just using a flashlight on my helmet for a helmet light. Right now I have an 18650 XP-G light that on mid-mode (all the helmet light I prefer) will last just fine for a 2.5 hour ride, and the light, mount, and battery together weigh in at 118 grams. I've used corded lights on my helmet in the past, and I don't mind losing the nuisance of the cord. One advantage of the 18650 flashlight is you can carry all the extra batteries you want in your pocket or pack. I carry a box that holds 2 cells in my pocket, but don't think I've swapped them in yet after several years. I've just ordered a XM-L flashlight I might use on my helmet, but the extra lumens are more in case of bar light failure, then I'll have more helmet light to finish the ride.
    The Xera light does look tempting. Maybe a little heavier than a flashlight, but could be configured for a lower profile that might compensate for the weight. Also a decent option if you are more of a helmet light type of rider (more lumens up top).

mtbr member
    I use a 2 cell battery with the magicshine on my helmet and it works great. It's a dedicated night riding helmet, so I just keep it all put together and charge the battery right on the helmet. For longer rides, I just favor the bar light more and/or bring an extra battery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Good God! It's actual WORK to try to make sense of your posts. How about a little sentence structure?

Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101 View Post
    does not exist !?
    since if you do find one, you will not get any decent runtime out of a 2-cell,...
    so back to 4-cell + to get runtime,
    other option to buy a couple 2-cell, stop and change, yea right,
    most riders, don't want to pay!! , carry the weight, or get caught, changing the battery, wait for me ,...
    $200 bucks, me too, a piko with spare battery more like $500,
    now the piko, does have a smaller battery, but that's also for runners / hiking,...
    since they don't need to blast the trail.

wanna do it right ?

if you can jump over your shadow,
    support your local custom light builder.
    might not be as slick , light , or cheap.
    It's custom !

cheers, Rob

mtbr member
    How about the Exposure Diablo MK4?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    ----
    (posted in wrong thread, don't know how to delete)
    Last edited by rschultz101; 10-29-2012 at 06:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just picked up a CygoLite Metro 420. Its very light -110G
    It didn't come with a helmet mount but you can buy one directly from the Cygolite website.

CygoLite Metro 420 USB Rechargeable Headlight from ModernBike.com

Mount
    ExpiliOn helmet kit