mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Recommandations on cheap lights

I'm looking for some cheap light for my MTB for riding in the woods.

I think, that I would like to both have a light on my handlebar and helmet.

I've been looking at these two lights:

1. https://dx.com/p/ultrafire-d88-l2-3-...-silver-254775

2. Cree XM-L T6 3000lm 4-Mode White Bike Light - Black + Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Should I choose one of these or could you recommand another light?
    Last edited by DennisMadsen; 01-15-2014 at 12:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    that one is a bit wide, I'd personally go with a single xml or dual xml just to have
    real estate for my garmin or other crap on bars

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Which one of the two lights are you talking about? Would a dual led be enough?

mtbr member
    My thoughts; I'd go with the D88 on the bars. With four steady modes and XM-L2 LEDs it should make a decent lamp. It might have some heat issues but if used on the mid to mid-high mode most of the time this shouldn't be an issue. No one yet has done a review on the D88, you could be the first.

To complement the bar lamp I'd go with one of the Solarstorm X2's ( dual XM-L U2 ) on the helmet. The two lamps in combo should work very well together.

If you buy the D88 just keep in mind that the battery might not be all that good. Plan on spending a little extra for a better battery. You'll also need an extension cord for the helmet lamp so order one of those too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    My thoughts; I'd go with the D88 on the bars. With four steady modes and XM-L2 LEDs it should make a decent lamp. It might have some heat issues but if used on the mid to mid-high mode most of the time this shouldn't be an issue. No one yet has done a review on the D88, you could be the first.

To complement the bar lamp I'd go with one of the Solarstorm X2's ( dual XM-L U2 ) on the helmet. The two lamps in combo should work very well together.

If you buy the D88 just keep in mind that the battery might not be all that good. Plan on spending a little extra for a better battery. You'll also need an extension cord for the helmet lamp so order one of those too.
    Thanks for your reply.

1) Why are you recommending the Solarstorm X2 instead of the Cree XM-L T6 3000lm 4-Mode?
    2) Why one D88 and one Solarstorm X2. Why not two of the same, both for bar and helmet?
    3) Could you provide me with a link to DX for a better battery and an extension cord?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisMadsen View Post
    Which one of the two lights are you talking about? Would a dual led be enough?
    the three wide one....the triple-n-one head is OK

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My bike light only cost me $11, it's CREE XPE LED, 200lm and come with 3AAA batteries. It have 3 light mode options, full brightness, half brightness and flashing. Super satisfied with it. Bought it on Amazon, and that's my first post here, hope it helpful.