mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Rear RED blinking light, what to get...!?

I'm transporting my kiddo on the bike and I want to be as visible as possible, what is the consensus on very bright strobe/blinking lights for the rear.

Thanks in advance..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yes, an ultra bright flashing rear light with color does increase your visibility to those approaching from the rear.

For all out brightness in a light that is available without wait, the DiNotte 400R daytime only. Not as intense but still effective, the DiNotte 300R offers conveniences, such as no external wire and battery.

Double your conspicuity, add a pulsing front light as well.

mtbr member
    Or a couple of planet bike superflash / superflash turbo for much less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I'm transporting my kiddo on the bike and I want to be as visible as possible, what is the consensus on very bright strobe/blinking lights for the rear.

Thanks in advance..
    No mention was made of how you are transporting the child. What you use will depend on the available options that will allow mounting "behind the child carrier" because you certainly don't want something super-bright blinking in your child's face.

Another bright ( and very affordable ) rear light is the Geinea 1 rear. Not a lot of mounting options with the G1R though. DiNotte offers the best choices for mounting and while they offer some of the better rear lamps on the market they do cost a bit. Of course if you are just riding on paved bike paths the DiNotte's would be overkill.

Whatever you choose, best you figure out the mounting issue before buying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    No mention was made of how you are transporting the child. What you use will depend on the available options that will allow mounting "behind the child carrier" because you certainly don't want something super-bright blinking in your child's face.
    opss, sorry that makes perfect sense, the light will go in the back of the child seat as high as possible.
    Rear RED blinking light, what to get...!?-img_4468-m.jpg

Another bright ( and very affordable ) rear light is the Geinea 1 rear. Not a lot of mounting options with the G1R though. DiNotte offers the best choices for mounting and while they offer some of the better rear lamps on the market they do cost a bit. Of course if you are just riding on paved bike paths the DiNotte's would be overkill.

Whatever you choose, best you figure out the mounting issue before buying.
    Fabricating the require mount is not a problem, but will be nice if is easy to mount..

mtbr member
    The Geinea 1 Rear would go on top of the carrier real easy but the problem would be "what to do with the wires and battery". Might be easier to use a self-contained unit, my favorite is the "Moon Shield" ( also sold as the Serfas Shield ). With the precious cargo you're carrying I'd opt for something brighter though. You should be able to use something like the DiNotte 300R mounted to the rear of the rack. Then to create a bigger target I'd fasten some smaller self-contained lights down low on the seat stays. Just make sure they don't shine in your child's eyes.

Action LED Lights
    I think the brightest option you can find is our red wide angle lens combined with an MJ-808U or copy there of. After the filter I would guess it to have an effective output of 600-700 lumens. I've had many people pull up beside me on the road (daytime) and comment on it's brightness. For night riding in a group it too much unless I ride at the rear. (Good excuse to suck wheel for the whole ride) It should be easy to mount on the rear of your rack behind the seat.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If this is for daytime riding, don't skimp. Most blinky lights are useless during the day. I bought a Dinotte 400R and was shocked at how good it is. All others I've had pale in comparison, literally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugano View Post
    If this is for daytime riding, don't skimp. Most blinky lights are useless during the day. I bought a Dinotte 400R and was shocked at how good it is. All others I've had pale in comparison, literally.
    Yes, good point, pretty much all the riding we do is during the day time, sounds expensive but safety is priority number one..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The Geinea 1 Rear would go on top of the carrier real easy but the problem would be "what to do with the wires and battery".
    The Geinea is secured using velcro so placing it right at the top will be no problem. The other thing to note is, the Geinea light head is smooth and more so using velcro to secure. Minimize hazard to your child by removing sharp objects near your child. I've used these child carriers before so I can confidently say the 2 cell battery can be secured at bottom of the rack. Run the remote cable to the seat post and secure with o-ring. Use zip-ties or velcro to secure cables from light head to battery to remote.

A pic of my daughter's new trike. The Geinea is normally used for her Croozer. Just an example of how easily the Geinea will secure to anything. Uploading a short clip of a bright Autumn/Fall day in Melbourne.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear RED blinking light, what to get...!?-geinea-daytime-2.jpg  

Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    I've never thought of running a light during the day.

What about safety flags or ribbon?

I am also a fan of reflective tape for nit riding. You can light yourself up a lot with their headlights and never worry about batteries. I run some 3M reflective tape on my helmet, cranks and panniers.

I also like Reel Lights. They bolt onto your skewers and power off of magnets mounted to the spokes. They have little batteries so they keep flashing when you stop.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.