Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    372

    Real worth of bike lights

    Ok, since the clone's are becoming better I thought I would pose this question to maybe shed more light (pardon the expression) on what the real value of these lights are.

    Here's the scenario.

    You drive 1 hour to a favorite singe track trail, a 2 hour ride. It's dark but you've done this before. You are riding alone. You have your helmet light and bar light. You connect everything and one of your lights just refuses to work no matter what you do. You didn't bring a torch or any other type of back up.

    Here's the question.

    Do you do the ride w/ 1 light if it's a:

    1. Quality small company. (Dinotte, Lupine, etc)
    2. Big box company. (Light and Motion, Niterider, etc)
    3. Chinese built w/ warranty. (Gloworm, Xeccon, etc)
    4. Cheap Chinese light no warranty. (Clone)

    Since I'm a motivated goal oriented person, I ride #1 for sure. I think I ride #2 as well as long as it's not a MiNewt. Probably go out on #3 but more likely a decision made when I am there. No way #4.

    Let's see what you all think as we all have different thresholds.

    MB

  2. #2
    Single Speed Junkie
    Reputation: crux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,106
    With any piece of gear you must be able to trust that it will work when needed. For a night ride especially solo I would not have any equipment with me I felt could leave me in the dark. (No pun intended) I've had many homebrew lights, Light & Motion and now Lupine. Each had their high points for a lighting system considering they cover a good 12 year span of technology or better. With the new lights I'm really liking how much light I can get out of a smaller lighter package than before. At the end of the day though when I go to plug it in and use the light it must work.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,820
    I NEVER ride with one light. Even a well built light from a great company has bad units once in a while. And what happens if you crash on your noggin and toast your one and only light? Using two lights also makes buying some of the cheaper lights not as much of a gamble.

    FWIW, I still have one of the original Magicshine MJ-808's, but with a battery pack replaced thorugh warranty. I've since bought a couple other MS products so I can ride with two lights; bar and helmet.
    "Got everything you need?"

  4. #4
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,960
    I took the "you get what you pay for" approach and use one helmet light (CygoLiteTridenX 600 lumen). To ensure success and the best reliability, I:

    Read the friendly manual (RTFM)
    Thoroughly tested before going on 5+ hour rides in the woods, away from civilization
    Charge according to the manufacturer recommendations

    I have no concerns about it failing.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    279
    I've been stuck in the woods twice due to light failures. Both times were on good quality lights. Once I ended up ripping the battery cord off the pack when it snagged a tree branch. That was a 7 mile walk in the dark. That was ten years or so ago - long enough for me to get slack and start riding without a backup flashlight. Earlier this year, I had a battery pack fail without warning (very old and unused for a couple of years), leaving me with a mile walk out of the woods in the dark. Payback for getting lazy...

    I don't think failure is limited to cheap hardware. Especially with mountain biking, stuff gets broken.

    That said, if I had just one light, I'd still ride. I don't get to ride as much as I'd like to as is, and it's good to scare yourself every now and then.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I've since bought a couple other MS products so I can ride with two lights; bar and helmet.
    Same here, original recalled MagicShine with hundreds and hundreds of hours. This is my bar light. GeoMan went under before I could get my new battery, but it's still going strong. I ended up getting one of the newer "1000 lumen Chinese MS" clones early this year and it's been great as well. The new one is my helmet light.

    So I have $120 worth of two cheap lights and they have never had any issues. They throw out more light than my buddies who have 3-4 year old Niterider's and Light and Motion lights too - and they spent $300+ on one light.

    If I go out alone I have a torch in my hydration pack with two 18650's just in case. Never have had any light malfunctions or issues (knocks on wood).

    I would never ride with just one light, even if it cost me $10,000. We have two+ headlights on our cars for a reason.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,102
    I would still ride in all 4 scenarios. It's just darkness people, you're not gonna die

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    136
    I'd still ride. Back in the ole days before LED's and HID's, we rode with one 10 watt incandescant with a lead acid battery that had no smart chargers. So you were rollin dice every time you rode, but that was part of the adventure. Yes, sometime I had to walk or putt along real slowly back to the trail head, but that's also part of overcoming phobias to the dark. Now I have more disposable income and quality lights so 2 lights for a planned night ride and one if I "might"get delayed after dark.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    I would still ride in all 4 scenarios. It's just darkness people, you're not gonna die
    hope so. but below freezing, it's questionable, once you get lost.
    also , it's nice to see the glowing eyes, once you are on foot, on the slow side,...
    have turned a wheel in a brezel, and a shoulder. ain't riding with those.
    took 3 hours by foot, to get back. extra battery helps. was about 10F
    ---
    now
    carry at least a extra 2cell backup battery, + flashlight + flashlight batteries.
    I carry a complete helmet set, + extra battery. Since my buddy could have a light/batterie failure . Actually , last time my buddy , had brought his spare, and used it. Since he had a wire problem on his MS before.
    ---
    worst one, forgetting to charge,.... without indicator , it's really a crapshoot, especially without backup. yeah, did that too, got my shirt dirty,...
    ---
    some , even carry a spare rear derailleur, bolt and hanger.
    ...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I took the "you get what you pay for" approach and use one helmet light (CygoLiteTridenX 600 lumen). To ensure success and the best reliability, I:

    Read the friendly manual (RTFM)
    Thoroughly tested before going on 5+ hour rides in the woods, away from civilization
    Charge according to the manufacturer recommendations

    I have no concerns about it failing.
    You will when you have your single light fail. Been there done that.

    J.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,315
    Most cases I would ride regardless of the light system. If weather or other conditions were sketchy, that's what would change my mind.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    54
    Tonight, my friend broke the mounting strap on his Light and Motion helmet light, so left it in the car. Toward the end of the ride, his battery went dead on his Cygolight bar light. He was going to follow me and my $40 Chinese bar light back to the trail head, but I loaned him my $10 Chinese XML flashlight and bar mount, so he would have his own light.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    153
    Petzl headlamp in my jersey for emergencies like this

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Climber25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    135
    Adding Exposure Lights to your list, my thought, right at the top under #1.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,774
    Interesting OP. It wouldn't matter to me where I bought the light from. If I'm using the lamp on a regular basis that means I trust it. There is always the possibility that you leave the house and forget that the battery on one or both lights did not charge or just leave something home that you meant to bring. If I got to the ride site and discovered one light was not working, I would make a decision based on what the issue was and the possibility of being stranded without light. Weather, terrain and ride time would be factors in the decision. If I'm absolutely sure the battery ( 4 cell ) on my remaining lamp is fully charged I'll likely continue with the ride.

    The most likely thing to happen in my case would be either forgetting the battery for my bar light or forgetting to charge it. If I was mid-ride and suddenly my battery pooped that would be a bad thing. I would still have a helmet light but that might only be powered by a single cell. Still, on medium it should last about two hours as long as it is not too drained.

    In my case though I almost always have a back up ( XML ) torch on the bars as well. It has the potential to run three hours on medium as well as long as the battery is freshly charged. And if that wasn't enough I always carry a small AA powered pocket torch ( XPE ) that can also run about 2 hrs on low, enough to get me out of the woods or change a flat. I also always carry at least one spare 18650 cell so I should be good.

    Of course all of this is speculative. If this was a planned epic on unfamiliar terrain ( 4hr plus ride ) and I discovered something wrong before I left there is a good chance I would cancel the ride. Better safe than sorry because you could always get lost. If halfway into my ride the battery pooped I should likely be fine although I might not enjoy the ride as much because I would be conserving battery power as much as possible.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerider2 View Post
    I'd still ride. Back in the ole days before LED's and HID's, we rode with one 10 watt incandescant with a lead acid battery that had no smart chargers. So you were rollin dice every time you rode, but that was part of the adventure. Yes, sometime I had to walk or putt along real slowly back to the trail head, but that's also part of overcoming phobias to the dark. Now I have more disposable income and quality lights so 2 lights for a planned night ride and one if I "might"get delayed after dark.
    Agreed. Modern lights are sooo much better than what i had 10-15 years ago. I definitely rode home in the dark or with a really dim light a few times with those incandescents and lead acids. Just ride.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: phoenixnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    817
    I'd ride 1 2 3 and probably 4 depending on my personal history with the light.

    Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    223
    I would ride in all conditions but then again I always got a Surefire with me for that oh sh*t moment.

  19. #19
    just a Newbie
    Reputation: colleen c's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    252
    First choice is: none of the above. I would rather have a custom made knowing the quality and craftmenship of the light.

    Second choice is number 2. I would think that there have been so many X amount of light sold to the generald public consumer that most of the pesky bugs should have been weeded out.

    Third choice is number 4. Yes they do fail but cheap enough that I can afford to buy several and tested them enough to know which one is the most less likely to fail.

    I know there will be some who hates me for saying this, but I go against the norm here. My last choice is number one if the selection means high price tag. I would rather spend that on a custom build. I'm too cheap to splurge a lot on a light unless it is has enough whoa and wow!!!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    108
    As someone else said, the value of a light is based on the trust it has earned by way of positive reviews, testing by experts, and personal experience.

    These questions seem awfully familiar to those posed by motorcycle riders advocating the use of high priced helmets even though testing shows that they offer no more protection than budget helmets.

    Yes, a cheap chinese light can get you in trouble if you blindly buy it without doing any research or using any sense. If you're the type to buy blindly with the purchase price earning your trust, then at least have someone point you towards a company with a flawless reputation and then buy their most expensive light.

    As for me, if my lighting requirements were all that tough, I'd get a light custom made. That would be #1. But my lighting requirements aren't all that. I can carry an extra light. I can wait for reviews. I can try my lights out on less risky rides until I gain trust in it. That allows me to buy budget lights. Of course some discretion must be used in regards to vendors as some shady vendors, like too many new ebayers, offer slightly different lights without letting the customer know....like clones by different manufacturers with different internal designs.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,774
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    ....That allows me to buy budget lights. Of course some discretion must be used in regards to vendors as some shady vendors, like too many new ebayers, offer slightly different lights without letting the customer know....like clones by different manufacturers with different internal designs.
    Yep, no argument there. Just ordered my first e-bay lamp. I just thought I'd take a stab at rolling the dice.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    As someone else said, the value of a light is based on the trust it has earned by way of positive reviews, testing by experts, and personal experience.

    These questions seem awfully familiar to those posed by motorcycle riders advocating the use of high priced helmets even though testing shows that they offer no more protection than budget helmets.

    Yes, a cheap chinese light can get you in trouble if you blindly buy it without doing any research or using any sense. If you're the type to buy blindly with the purchase price earning your trust, then at least have someone point you towards a company with a flawless reputation and then buy their most expensive light.

    As for me, if my lighting requirements were all that tough, I'd get a light custom made. That would be #1. But my lighting requirements aren't all that. I can carry an extra light. I can wait for reviews. I can try my lights out on less risky rides until I gain trust in it. That allows me to buy budget lights. Of course some discretion must be used in regards to vendors as some shady vendors, like too many new ebayers, offer slightly different lights without letting the customer know....like clones by different manufacturers with different internal designs.
    Good points.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by qdave View Post
    Tonight, my friend broke the mounting strap on his Light and Motion helmet light, so left it in the car. Toward the end of the ride, his battery went dead on his Cygolight bar light. He was going to follow me and my $40 Chinese bar light back to the trail head, but I loaned him my $10 Chinese XML flashlight and bar mount, so he would have his own light.

  24. #24
    little mad riding hood
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by eastspur View Post
    Petzl headlamp in my jersey for emergencies like this
    I do this too, and have done a number of local trail rides (not ultra tech stuff) using my Stella 150 commuter light on a helmet mount and my ancient Dinotte first-gen AA LED on the bars.

    Naturally I prefer my husband's HID NightRider when I have the chance to use it, but it's 6+ years old and is showing signs of developing battery degradation, so I don't actually trust it anymore - the Stella is a lot more reliable. I've been considering getting a Seca mainly because I have access to a team deal and would like to do more night riding with my brand new Niner that just got built today :]

    ...of course I've also done things like 18 hour enduros in the 90s, where the "best" lights I could come up with were my 10w Vistalights. So for purposes of this forum I can probably be considered insane, or at least an unreliable source experientially.

    - edited to add: I have done the "navigate home by smell / bike ninja cruise / hike of shame" many, many, many times due to unreliable lighting systems on both MTB and commuters. I always carry a holdout now (hiking headlamp at the least), and if I'm trail riding at night, I never go somewhere where weather, exposure, backcountry, trail conditions or wildlife will put me at risk if my lights fail. To me that's just common sense, but I'm also an old lady, not a 22 year old gonzo techy stud - ymmv.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    552
    DIY option?

    Been riding with my own DIY light builds for more than 5 years now. Always use a single light on the bars. Current light is an 8x XPG. At least 300 night rides and only one mishap when the cable came loose on a downhill and everything went black. I've tried Dinotte, Light & motion, Lupine, Exposure, and a few others and experienced trouble with all except Lupine.

    Build your own, know what goes inside and you'll be a lot safer than trusting you life to a Chinese QA department.

    Just my take on night riding. Now I'll go back to the DIY Forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •