I should be studying...

Question for Light aficionados

I just picked a L&M Seca 750 for $150. I was kind of an impulse buy, but now I'm thinking my money could have been better spent on a Magic Shine MJ 808 L2, or a Gemini Titan p7 or a Xera. I know the seca is supposed to have a great beam pattern and the light head is impressively light & small compare to what i'm currently using (Lume Strada HID, Dinotte 400l). I generally only use a helmet mount.

There really aren't many comments on the 750 nor are there many reviews.

Any input would be great thanks!
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe View Post
    I just picked a L&M Seca 750 for $150. I was kind of an impulse buy, but now I'm thinking my money could have been better spent on a Magic Shine MJ 808 L2, or a Gemini Titan p7 or a Xera. I know the seca is supposed to have a great beam pattern and the light head is impressively light & small compare to what i'm currently using (Lume Strada HID, Dinotte 400l). I generally only use a helmet mount.

Money can always be better spent but since these are listed around $250 it looks like you got a decent deal. It won't be as bright as some other lamps but if the beam pattern and intensity satisfies you and you have no other complaints ( other than cost ) than you got what you paid for.

Now if for some reason it doesn't meet your expectations than it would be nice if you bought from a vendor that has a money back guarantee. Most dealers will give you at least 30 days ( unless you buy something from Best Buy. They only give you 15 days but they don't sell bike lights so excuse the diversion. )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe View Post

well does the light work for YOU ? isn't that what matters ? i had previously used technically excellent lights that simply DID NOT WORK FOR ME.

$150 for that light is a decent deal. by comparison NiteRider Pro 750 is $200 and while the NR is a newer light that doesn't automatically make it better. NR isn't a value champion by any means, but it also isn't a luxury brand like Lupine. i think NR prices are a good barometer for what a well designed / engineered / built light should cost.

one thing i find cool about my helmet-mounted Seca(s) is that i can see my handlebar, i can see my chain, stuff like that - this kind of downward spill isn't available in pretty much any other light. when i stop to take a look at my bike i use this spill from the helmet as well, whereas the direct beam would be too bright.

so i think in terms of value you got a decent deal. now you just need to figure out if this is a light that works for you personally or not.

if you use the light and don't have any problems with seeing and being seen then keep it. if you use it and think "d&mn i can't see anything ! it's too dark!" and you can get a Chienese light with 3 times the real lumens for the same price, well you probably then should get the Chinese light.

just make sure you compare real lumens to real lumens not real lumens to chinese lumens. also be conscious of where your lumens are going - are they going where you want them to ? if yes, chances are you will need a lot more lumens from a different light to do a better job. if no, then you will probably like a brighter light better.