mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Question about lights

Ive got a question about lights. A few years ago when I got my last light everything was halogen. Most lights were 10-30 watts, anything in the 20+ watt neighborhood was pretty bright. Now I am looking at some lights online and most of them are LEDs, and they go by lumens or lux instead of watts.

Can anyone tell me how these compare? For example, a 20 watt halogen is comparible to 'x' lumens in a led.

Also the halogens had a tendency to be not very white. Sort of a yellowish light, are the leds like this or are they a white light?

And lastly, I keep seeing lights that have a 'usb' option. Does this mean you can actually charge the light by plugging it into your computer? This idea was like pink flying elephants last time I was light shopping....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude
    Ive got a question about lights. A few years ago when I got my last light everything was halogen. Most lights were 10-30 watts, anything in the 20+ watt neighborhood was pretty bright. Now I am looking at some lights online and most of them are LEDs, and they go by lumens or lux instead of watts.

Can anyone tell me how these compare? For example, a 20 watt halogen is comparible to 'x' lumens in a led.

Also the halogens had a tendency to be not very white. Sort of a yellowish light, are the leds like this or are they a white light?

And lastly, I keep seeing lights that have a 'usb' option. Does this mean you can actually charge the light by plugging it into your computer? This idea was like pink flying elephants last time I was light shopping....
    Halogen brightness varies a bit but generally LEDs are 2-4x brighter watt for watt.

LEDs come in different tints. The bluer ones are brighter but the yellower ones can give better colour rendition out on the trail.

Yes you can charge some lights off you computer.

A good place to start is the light shootout.
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/category/lights-shootout/
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights