inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

project aura lights

Check this out!
    I really want this on my bike when they are on the market!
    http://www.grist.org/list/2011-05-18...ctors-to-shame

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think the consensus is that you can get the same effect with a very inexpensive and lightweight LED light mounted in the spokes (there is one out there somewhere IRC).

J.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    what I thought was cool about these lights is that they change to white while cruising and red while slowing down. do the ones you mentioned do this? if so, I would check into them myself

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Why is that a good thing? Or why would that even matter?

This just looks overly complicated and heavy to me. Seems to me there are easier ways to solve the same problem.

J>

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    car drivers seem to realize that red lights on a moving object mean that it is slowing down. That seems helpful. White lights are just another object moving, like headlights cruising.
    I guess it isn't entirely necessary, but I would probably get it if it was available to the public.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wear a headlight and make sure I put it on the driver's windows when I'm at an intersection where I don't think they see me. That is much more effective than this, it makes me keep looking at them, and it doesn't add rotating weight to my bike (the worst kind).

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I wear a headlight and make sure I put it on the driver's windows when I'm at an intersection where I don't think they see me. That is much more effective than this, it makes me keep looking at them, and it doesn't add rotating weight to my bike (the worst kind).

J.
    Yep, all good points but you have to admit they are very cool looking. I really doubt that anyone will market something like this though. I mean really; who is going to plop down $$$'s just for some fancy wheel lights that involve having special wheel/hubs? Not many when you consider that there are already many cheap led spoke lights that can fit the bill. Yeah, they aren't as nice as these but they are only a couple bucks. There are also the more expensive versions that can display patterns, all very cool looking but as you said, "rotational weight" is a big

I really did dig the video though, interesting music.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, after thinking about it, they are a bit unconventional. But I still thought it was cool.
    I don't whether or not you care to know or not, but the song is Gold Panda- You

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool trick, yes. Useful, not so much.

J.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    it would probably cost a lot too. oh well.