MarkyMark

Problem with charging my Wilma 6

I have a Wilma 6 and I've just recently run into problems. First, my battery was dying. I generally got 4+ hours of burn-time on high, but it started dropping to 1.5 hours.

Now, my micro-charger seems like it's dying as well. When I plug it into the wall, the micro-charger flashes it's green LED once and then the amber LED flashes once every 2 seconds. It's not charging my battery at all.

Does anyone know if this is an error code? If so, what does it mean? Is there any way of fixing this?

I'm not impressed with Lupine's German engineering nor the lack of support from Gretna Bikes where I bought my Wilma 6. Todd @ Gretna hasn't responded to an email in over a week. He already has my money so he's not worried. He's guaranteed that I won't spend a cent at Gretna ever again and will advise everyone I know to avoid his business.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    email and pm sent...

GeoMan
    Wait! Todd is great. If you fish around the boards here, you will find he's universally lauded for his good service. And, Lupines receive the same.

Certainly, email is not always reliable. Give him a chance. I'm sure you'll be impressed!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

BBW
    mtbr member
    he will take care of you, calm down... awesome guy and awesome service

GeoMan
    You got that right.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

BBW
    mtbr member
    I just hope you're just as fast to post what happened at the end and what he did for you... (obviously, you don't know what it is like to own a Lupine..... would you buy a Bugatti and worry about service )
    Post what happened!

MarkyMark
    Todd took care of me!

I've had my Wilma 6 for ~2 years so I know what its like to own a Lupine. I was surprised that my battery was dying because I use my Wilma ~1/month on average. I'll be using it more since the days are getting shorter now. Anyhow, I tried charging my battery and found the micro-charger blinking the next morning. My battery was fully discharged and the micro-charger wouldn't charge it at all. I sent it, the transformer, and micro-charger to Todd and he warrantied the battery after he couldn't resurrect it.

Oh yeah, there's no way I'd buy a BMW, Benz, WV/Audi, Buggati or most luxury cars expressly because of the service nightmares. I've heard and seen too many stories about those cars from my friends and coworkers constantly being in the shop and being handed $1000+ bills. Most of these guys where loaded, but it wore them down and they wound up swapping for Japanese cars. I'll trade luxury and prestige for reliability EVERY SINGLE TIME. Lupine is very much top of the line, which I why I bought them. I was hoping that they'd be reliable as well.

Todd @ GretnaBikes came through for me, but everyone that buys a Lupine is paying a high premium. If buying a Lupine means dealing with a flaky system, then I wouldn't recommend Lupine to anyone. Having your light system flake out in the middle of a night ride is unacceptable and could mean getting serious hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I just hope you're just as fast to post what happened at the end and what he did for you... (obviously, you don't know what it is like to own a Lupine..... would you buy a Bugatti and worry about service )
    Post what happened!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass
    I've had my Wilma 6 for ~2 years so I know what its like to own a Lupine. I was surprised that my battery was dying because I use my Wilma ~1/month on average.
    Quite an expected outcome...
    I know nothing about Todd @ GretnaBikes and LUPINE's warranty, but, being a manufacturer of headtorches on the opposite side of the Globe, I'm someway informed how lithium sells behave after two years of either exploitation or storage. They loose capacity with time. Manufaturers declare only two years guaranteed lifetime for lithium sells (sometimes - two & a half). Moreover - two wire charging for lithium batteries, where the cells are connected in series, decrease battery lifetime.
    Last edited by VaskaS; 08-22-2009 at 10:54 AM.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass
    Todd took care of me!

I was hoping that they'd be reliable as well.

Todd @ GretnaBikes came through for me, but everyone that buys a Lupine is paying a high premium. If buying a Lupine means dealing with a flaky system, then I wouldn't recommend Lupine to anyone. Having your light system flake out in the middle of a night ride is unacceptable and could mean getting serious hurt.
    Just like anything.... bikes break and good companies take care of the problem. You got taken care of and have more Wilma for years to come
    Enjoy night riding; it is going to get nice soon and you have an awesome ligh