Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another small update, third lamp has arrived - XM-L T6 only and cool white. So the first one with XM-L2 I got was something unusual OTOH the electronic circuit is the same, so await 32-36W of power drawn. I tested this light or wanted to test it with MJ880 clone pack from KD but the protection stopped the pack. The KD pack won't let out more than 4A from the cells. Considering this be cautious when buying this light with an ordinary cheap cell pack - perhaps the PCB would come without current limiter and that would be really really bad
    Last edited by MK96; 01-07-2014 at 12:42 PM. Reason: small mistakes and numbers corrected

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Powerful 7*Cree XM-L T6 6000LM 3-Mode Front Bicycle Light from LM

and the lord said let there be light

mtbr member
    Judging from the beam shots the low and medium settings look pretty lame. With so many emitters I would of thought the medium setting to be a bit brighter. Then again it could just be your photos. Nothing wrong with the high mode, looks to have lots of flood.

I noticed some graininess to the photos, were you using a tripod?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It could be my photos without a tripod. The noise could be coming also from the jpeg compression I will try to take better ones using a tripod and a nice piece of flat land I would like to take some beamshots to compare with other popular lights ssx2, mj 880 clone, skyray 3 XML and 6 XML but that needs more time to do it.
    The high has lots of flood and the other modes also. It is the smooth reflector design having usual flood and a hotspot. The draw from 8.4V li-po at 7.53V is:
    4.8A@high
    1.8@medium
    0.28A@low

I use low pointing more downwards as a commuting mode, uphills usually low on both lights on rough terrain. Dual 7 XML is for me quite a happy setup and usually I have a small backup light head (X2, MJ880 clone) and emergency torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Judging from the beam shots the low and medium settings look pretty lame.
    Medium is OK for me. What did you mean by writing low is also lame? Should it be brighter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    It could be my photos without a tripod. The noise could be coming also from the jpeg compression I will try to take better ones using a tripod and a nice piece of flat land I would like to take some beamshots to compare with other popular lights ssx2, mj 880 clone, skyray 3 XML and 6 XML but that needs more time to do it.
    The high has lots of flood and the other modes also. It is the smooth reflector design having usual flood and a hotspot. The draw from 8.4V li-po at 7.53V is:
    4.8A@high
    1.8@medium
    0.28A@low

I use low pointing more downwards as a commuting mode, uphills usually low on both lights on rough terrain. Dual 7 XML is for me quite a happy setup and usually I have a small backup light head (X2, MJ880 clone) and emergency torch.

Medium is OK for me. What did you mean by writing low is also lame? Should it be brighter?
    I just meant that ( judging from the photos ) the medium and low didn't look bright enough. I figure that a lamp with 7 leds should have a have an output of at least 1800 lumen ( on high ). Medium should be about 800-900 lumen, low somewhere around 250-300 lumen. To me the photos look like medium@ est.400 lumen and low...well, the photo showed almost no light. This could just be the camera or the camera settings.

I've noticed that with some of the Chinese made lamps that sometimes the lower settings are not very usable. I have a DX quad XM-L lamp that fits this description. High is fine but the lower medium level is only usable for slow climbs ( IMO ). The Bikeray lamps I had were the same way. On the other hand the SSX2 and SSX3 clone have three very usable and well spaced out mode levels. Same can be said for the basic Tri-clone lamp I own.

Lamps like the Gloworms and Gemini lamps all have a version of
    ( programmable ) step-less dimming that allows the user to dial in the output of each mode. I'd like to see more Chinese lamps incorporate the step-less dimming feature. That said, a 7-up lamp with step-less dimming would be sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Wow, that is a flood! But it also throws enough judging from beamshots. Cheapo setup anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by MammothSlacker View Post
    and the lord said let there be light

mtbr member
    Sorry if this was mentioned in the tread already, but im currently reading this on my phone on the train and its proving tricky

Could someone tell me what battery packs to buy for one of these units..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It depends how much runtime do you need. One 7-up light draws about 4A@8.4V from fully charged 8000mAh li-po cell and ending with about ~6-7A@6V. So my recommendation is some 3000mAh and up panasonic cell and pack starting from 4 cells and up. Lot of choices: Mr. Lee, MtbRevolution, ... , Pannovo case and 4 protected panasonic cells.

mtbr member
    It depends how much runtime do you need. One 7-up light draws about 4A@8.4V from fully charged 8000mAh li-po cell and ending with about ~6-7A@6V. So my recommendation is some 3000mAh and up panasonic cell and pack starting from 4 cells and up. Lot of choices: Mr. Lee, MtbRevolution, ... , Pannovo case and 4 protected panasonic cells.
    Thanks, that's exactly the info i was looking for

I almost bought one of these, but am now thinking i will stay well clear.

8500lm 7* Cree XML-T6 MTB mountain bike bicycle front head lights lamp set | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That one has Archie, but he swapped the resistor to push more current to leds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Mr Lee batteries?? tried to find them but was not lucky!
    Can you please give me some more Infos!
    Thanks!
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I don't want to advertise it But here is the link to his ebay shop: hunk_lee | eBay

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ahhh ok, thank you - now i understand who is Mr Lee ;-)
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The light dropped the price at LM to $47.5. I wonder if anything has changed inside it
    Last edited by MK96; 05-24-2014 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A comparison of XM-L and XM-L2 version with the Trustfire TR-D014 is in this thread

Is dang happy!
    That is truly a ridiculous amount of light.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    In what sense?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2