mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Post your night riding pics!

Hey guys,

I'm putting together a brochure for school and would love to use a great night riding picture in it. So, post your pics if you wouldn't mind me using them! Thanks!

-D

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm a terrible photographer but here are some pics from a ride from the Flanigan trail head to Shasta Dam with a stop at Chamise peak on the return leg. This is in Shasta Lake, CA for reference.

Post your night riding pics!-nr01.jpgPost your night riding pics!-nr02.jpgPost your night riding pics!-nr03.jpgPost your night riding pics!-nr04.jpgPost your night riding pics!-nr05.jpg

mtbr member
    There are some that looks great and professional, got from our clients.

Post your night riding pics!-dsc_1651.jpgPost your night riding pics!-dsc_9888.jpgPost your night riding pics!-dsc_9835.jpgPost your night riding pics!-12-spiker-view-.jpg
    Xeccon: Stay Safe, Stay Ahead

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not sure if this is of any use but I took this when I first got into night time riding about 5yrs ago..

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    I've been shooting some photos on out demo rides. You are welcome to use them with a photo credit. https://www.facebook.com/JetLites/photos_stream

-Mike
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EFMax View Post
    Not sure if this is of any use but I took this when I first got into night time riding about 5yrs ago..
    why does the light look so even ? i realize you said this is 5 years old, but what lights did you use ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    why does the light look so even ? i realize you said this is 5 years old, but what lights did you use ?
    I've seen this photo before somewhere. If my memory serves me right the guy had a very powerful custom set-up with lumen output in the thousands. Yes, it's very impressive but most people are not going to carry the battery set-up necessary to power such a set-up. Also of note, there is no EXIF data on the photo so we don't know the exposure set-up that was used on the camera.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I've seen this photo before somewhere. If my memory serves me right the guy had a very powerful custom set-up with lumen output in the thousands. Yes, it's very impressive but most people are not going to carry the battery set-up necessary to power such a set-up. Also of note, there is no EXIF data on the photo so we don't know the exposure set-up that was used on the camera.
    well the Lumens are no longer a problem, especially for a custom project. you get about 500 lumen for every XML2 LED so then it's just a matter of having a big enough heat sink to fit as many of them as you like and a computer can automatically CNC machine a heatsink for you.

the two problems i had when looking for a light this year were:

1 - finding a light that puts those lumens in a helmet mountable package and
    2 - projects them in a pattern that evenly illuminates the road, without unnecessarily blinding people.

his light is most likely not helmet mountable ( since back in the day LED efficiency was low, so he would have needed a heavy heatsink ) but his beam pattern looks very good.

9 out of 10 lights on sale today don't have rather miserable patterns. there are two basic miserable bike light beam patterns out there on the market:

1 - the reflector lights produce a beam consisting of a small hotspot surrounded by a wide pronounced ring.
    2 - the optics lights which produce a patch of light which has neither depth nor width to it.

ideally i would like a beam that is deep and wide and has no significant artifacts. of course the details would depend on application ( helmet vs bar mount, trail vs city use )

the only lights with a beam pattern i liked were Light & Motion Seca and Baja Double Stryk. of the two only the Seca was designed for helmet use.