Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    545

    passing etiquette - at night

    I know the basic rule is to allow the uphill rider the right of way on a hill and I do that in the day time. However, this year more than any other the proliferation of very bright led lights has me thinking this is mayby wrong and dangerous. I've more often this year had the experience of sailing down a hill and come across a rider or group of riders coming up and lose complete sight of the trail due to their lights. It's not a matter of their lights being brighter than mine either - I ride with a DIY 1500 lumen bar light - it's just the intensity is too much and makes me have to stop or risk crashing. Any one else feel this way?
    Last edited by il2mb; 12-18-2010 at 08:08 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    I think at night both of you should be stopping, admiring how bright each other's light is, and moving on carefully after the retina burn has stopped/lessened.
    "It looks flexy"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    241
    When riding uphill at night I set both my helmet and bar lights to 'Low' as not to blind the faster moving downhill rider. Additionally, I look away from the rider coming down rather than looking at them and blinding them. That being said, I still maintain the unofficial uphill right of way.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I think at night both of you should be stopping, admiring how bright each other's light is, and moving on carefully after the retina burn has stopped/lessened.
    smiles in acknowledgment..

    Got pulled by a local police officer in his car, he pulled me over after he stopped to let me by cos he was fascinated by my lights... spent the next ten mins telling him all about how lights and light technology had moved on over the years..

  5. #5
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,443
    I have never been in a situation where I have met another rider at night on the trail! I have met hikers though. When passing hikers, I stop and cover my lights (unless they actually want to see the lights which many do).

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by spec306
    When riding uphill at night I set both my helmet and bar lights to 'Low' as not to blind the faster moving downhill rider. Additionally, I look away from the rider coming down rather than looking at them and blinding them. That being said, I still maintain the unofficial uphill right of way.
    Seldom to I see the uphill rider reduce their output or even look away. But I like your idea...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I think at night both of you should be stopping, admiring how bright each other's light is, and moving on carefully after the retina burn has stopped/lessened.
    Had to take a moment till i stopped laughing,,,,,,great answer!!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    Had to take a moment till i stopped laughing,,,,,,great answer!!!
    "It looks flexy"

  9. #9
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,179
    I'm usually going so fast and with so much light that I think the "others" never understand what just passed by them :-)
    UFO?
    Almost 3000 lumens ;-)
    BBW. MS, RD

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,724

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    I have never been in a situation where I have met another rider at night on the trail!
    Funny, my first thought when reading this was... "What a bummer to actually see people!"
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Funny, my first thought when reading this was... "What a bummer to actually see people!"
    Oh is that the truth! When the day comes when I actually see 3-4 riders on a night ride, it'll be time to find a new place to ride.

    I think if two riders are approaching each other at night they should both dim ( and/or tilt down ) their lights as much as possible. Helmet lights should either be turned off or head-turned away. Doing this will mean both riders should slow and look down to prevent an accident. Normally this should work fine, however there is the noted exception. If one rider is traveling at speed on a particularly steep and knarly down-hill, he would likely be in jeopardy if he tried to lower his light level. In this case I think it better for everyone if the up-hill rider just get out of the way. Now if the down-hill rider can slow down and power down without hurting himself then fine. Because it's night I think you have to think differently about the right-of-way issue. Streaking-down-hill boy might hit you if he takes a hand off the bars to fiddle with the light.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Streaking-down-hill boy might hit you if he takes a hand off the bars to fiddle with the light.
    No hand off the bars needed.


  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Oh is that the truth! When the day comes when I actually see 3-4 riders on a night ride, it'll be time to find a new place to ride.

    I think if two riders are approaching each other at night they should both dim ( and/or tilt down ) their lights as much as possible. Helmet lights should either be turned off or head-turned away. Doing this will mean both riders should slow and look down to prevent an accident. Normally this should work fine, however there is the noted exception. If one rider is traveling at speed on a particularly steep and knarly down-hill, he would likely be in jeopardy if he tried to lower his light level. In this case I think it better for everyone if the up-hill rider just get out of the way. Now if the down-hill rider can slow down and power down without hurting himself then fine. Because it's night I think you have to think differently about the right-of-way issue. Streaking-down-hill boy might hit you if he takes a hand off the bars to fiddle with the light.

    There are group night rides and singles that I will see from time to time but not a ton of people. I have been night riding up on the mountain since the 90's and there has always been a few people. Back then, it was mostly other people that worked at the bike shop I worked at, now we just have a lot of people in the city that ride up there so you are gonna see a person from time to time. There are plenty of rides day and night where I don't see any one though.
    "It looks flexy"

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    No hand off the bars needed.

    Well yeah....I have a similar setup on my triple but you catch what I'm referring to...Most people won't have remotes. In my case not only would I have the triple going but a bar torch as well, then there's the helmet lamp. No way my hands are coming off the bars if I'm doing a real white-knuckler.

    By the way that is a real nifty remote you have there, is that something you bought or did you make it yourself somehow? What's it hooked up to?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Well yeah....I have a similar setup on my triple but you catch what I'm referring to...Most people won't have remotes. In my case not only would I have the triple going but a bar torch as well, then there's the helmet lamp. No way my hands are coming off the bars if I'm doing a real white-knuckler.

    By the way that is a real nifty remote you have there, is that something you bought or did you make it yourself somehow? What's it hooked up to?
    The remote switch is homemade. Details in this thread...

    Another dual MC-E

    Years ago I used a Nightrider halogen for 24hr races. It came standard with a remote switch, never really gave it any thought. My first DIY barlight did not have a remote. Missed it enough that all subsequent builds, even helmet lights, have remote switches.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •