mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Overwhelmed and looking for recommendations

I've been reading through posts and reading reviews and all I'm left with is confusion. Is there a good go-to starting point? I've listed some parameters below. If you think I'm misguided, let me know. I just need to get something.

Here are my parameters. Any help is welcomed:
    • I need a light as soon as possible.
    • I can probably only afford to buy one.
    • I figure with one I should helmet mount first.
    • I want reasonable run time so I can do a ride after work (2-2.5 hours?)

It sure would be nice to find something on Cyber Monday.

RAKC
    www.ituolights.com

That's where the best lights for the money is right now.

Not sure what your budget is but sale going on today and you'd have it (or 2 if you can afford it with the sale going on) before the end of the week.

Tight budget, xp2 would be a good single light but not a good idea to go out on trails with only one light. If you could swing it, xp2 for the helmet and one of the USB lights (we all love the wiz20 but wiz1/2 is nice too) for a bar light.

Now if your budget is a little higher, can get a pair of xp2s or xp2 and xp3.

There are several brands of nice light out there but bang for buck on a normal day (normal price) it's hard to beat Ituo.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I like turtles
    Another option is to check out the Magicshine lights on sale at High Quality LED Bike Lights from Gemini, Gloworm and Magicshine – Action-LED-Lights

What is your actual budget? You should be able to pick up 2 Magicshine 808s for ~$112 ($70/set and now %20 off). They work just fine for most folks and this is a great online retailer for them.

Edit. Sorry, should have clarified. Two lights is really a must for actual singletrack riding at night. One on the bar, one on the helmet. The helmet allows you to look around corners/ahead and the bar illuminates the ground in front of the bike. The bonus is that you have built-in redundancy if one fails/dies. If I absolutely couldn't have 2 lights, I would go with the helmet only.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 11-28-2016 at 01:20 PM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spaztwelve View Post
    I've been reading through posts and reading reviews and all I'm left with is confusion. Is there a good go-to starting point? I've listed some parameters below. If you think I'm misguided, let me know. I just need to get something.

Here are my parameters. Any help is welcomed:
    • I need a light as soon as possible.
    • I can probably only afford to buy one.
    • I figure with one I should helmet mount first.
    • I want reasonable run time so I can do a ride after work (2-2.5 hours?)

It sure would be nice to find something on Cyber Monday.
    Since you plan only to ride with a single helmet lamp ask yourself the question; "Do the slots on my helmet look like they will facilitate the use of a helmet mount"? If they do then read on...

To be brief; this is the worse time of year to buy a bike light. Yeah, you might find some deals but money isn't everything. I say that because if the lamp you decide to buy isn't available then you will likely be banging your head and wishing you had bought something earlier.

I'll suggest buying the ITUO XP2 ( or XP3 ) kit. The XP2 will be a bit cheaper. If you buy the kit you get an excellent battery, a Gopro type helmet mount, helmet extension battery cable, a bar mount and a lamp set-up with good NW emitters. I'll also suggest buying a couple of the "wide spot" optics ( listed on the same site ) so if you feel the beam pattern too narrow you can switch out one or two optics. If you are going to use on the helmet having a two emitter lamp will give you a wider beam pattern. You will find that quite useful. If you feel you want wider then switch out the optics. I use a XP3 on the helmet ( with three standard spot optics ) and I love it but I also use a bar lamp.

Last bit of advice; buy a cheap led torch and carry it as back-up. Never go into the woods at night with just one light source. When you can afford to, try to buy another bike lamp ASAP. A Revtronic BT40S is a good low cost lamp option for bar light. It has a wider beam pattern and comes with a good battery. It too uses "neutral white " emitters. The throw is not as intense so I don't suggest it as a helmet lamp but it makes for a decent/affordable choice for the bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This is helpful. Thank you. I will heed all your advice (having two lights). These options so far do fit into my budget (though I thought I'd be spending less). If I go with one expensive option, what would be a good (2nd) inexpensive option?

Edit: Cat - Just saw your cheap option listed.

I like turtles
    I think you need to define "expensive" and "cheap"" in a little more detail for this discussion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Last bit of advice; buy a cheap led torch and carry it as back-up. Never go into the woods at night with just one light source. When you can afford to, try to buy another bike lamp ASAP. A Revtronic BT40S is a good low cost lamp option for bar light. It has a wider beam pattern and comes with a good battery. It too uses "neutral white " emitters. The throw is not as intense so I don't suggest it as a helmet lamp but it makes for a decent/affordable choice for the bars.
    This is what I do. I have a reasonable amount of confidence that my Trail LED DS won't fail, but still keep an 18650 flashlight on the bars as a backup.

I haven't had a bike light fail, but I used to ride a kick start quad that didn't have a battery. One time it stalled and left me heading toward a 90 degree corner around 40 mph in total darkness. It resulted in a scary wreck and isn't something I want to repeat on the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I think you need to define "expensive" and "cheap"" in a little more detail for this discussion.
    I think $200 is expensive. Mid-hundreds is expensive but doable. I like the option of one of the $130-$160 lights and a second inexpensive light - $30-$60.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    If you want something quick and have Amazon Prime you could do Revtronic for $60 or buy it on their site for $48 (black Friday deal)

https://www.revtronic-store.com/pages/daily-deals

Decent light and recommended around here I believe

I like turtles
    One other comment about combining different lights - make sure the tints are close. I have ridden with a cool white and a neutral white and its a little weird. Best that they match.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Another option is to check out the Magicshine lights on sale at High Quality LED Bike Lights from Gemini, Gloworm and Magicshine – Action-LED-Lights

What is your actual budget? You should be able to pick up 2 Magicshine 808s for ~$112 ($70/set and now %20 off). They work just fine for most folks and this is a great online retailer for them.

Edit. Sorry, should have clarified. Two lights is really a must for actual singletrack riding at night. One on the bar, one on the helmet. The helmet allows you to look around corners/ahead and the bar illuminates the ground in front of the bike. The bonus is that you have built-in redundancy if one fails/dies. If I absolutely couldn't have 2 lights, I would go with the helmet only.

I just received my 808 light head from action-led that I ordered friday. Shipped less than an hour after order. Very pleased with service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Very important to know the type of riding you do and your level of riding??For example If you are an aggressive fast rider riding DH you will need good power output or you will be restricted at night. Terrain and riding style are important to know.

RAKC
    808s are what delayed me from night riding. Well more the cool white tint. Everything looked frozen and gave me a headache. Thats why I don't recommend magicshine (hate cool white lights).

And don't get the bt40s as a single light for riding trails at night. Very little throw and though good light compared to other "cheap" lights, not one I'd be risking injury on by itself on the trails. Its not bad for a bar light with something good on the lid though. Nice tint and nice wide beam for a bar light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you can only afford one light right now I would either buy and ituolights xp3 or xp2 period. I own the xp3 and and a gloworm xs and I routinely ride with just the xp3 on my helmet while my wife rides with the gloworm or visa versa. I also commute daily on the road with the xp3 and it has proven realiable, easy to use, and the correct color temperature for trail riding.
    If your ideally planning on doing tons or MTB riding at night 2 lights is the best option(one on the bars and one on the helmet) but both the xp3 and the xp2 can be setup for either position and be used by themselves for most riding so it's really hard to go wrong with either as a first purchase and then down the road you can buy the other.

You should think fast because ituolights light are on sale through today.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Wiz20 on the bars and Wiz2 on the helmet is a good setup for only $150 (since wiz2 currently on sale for $50, good deal)

I'm currently running Wiz20 on my bars and Light/motion urban 800 on my helmet (same output as wiz2) and it works fine.

That said, I just ordered an XP3 for my helmet.. couldn't resist the black friday sale =)

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I think another thing to consider is the temperatures you'll be using the lights in. If you live in Arizona you it may be necessary to spring for the more expensive lights. Where I live and only using the lights in sping/fall/winter I don't need a light that doesn't operate at full brightness in 105 degree weather. BT40s on bars and yinding on helmet is pretty cheap and seems to work well.

mtbr member
    I'm running a Gemini Olympia on bars with Gloworm X1 on helmet. But you can go cheaper.
    One friend who I regularly ride with is running three niterider luminas ($75 or so each for a total of $225) - two on bar and one on helmet. Another is running a revtronic 1600lm (on amazon for $60) on the bar and a bontrager ion ($100) on the helmet.

It's all about how much you can spend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'll second the 3 Lumina's thing. I used to always have a big bar light w/ separate battery and lots o lumens. Not needed anymore as most of these lights are real efficient.

The Lumina's are pretty bright and a decent beam pattern and durable. And if anything goes wrong, Niterider is real easy to work with.

Yeah, they're somewhat basic but sometimes that's a good thing. No wires tho is what I'm liking and I doubt I'll even go back to anything w/ wires.

I'm sure there are similar lights like the Ituo which sound real good too.

And the Lumina 950 boost was on sale at Performance Bike for 69.99 and can't beat that.

MB

RAKC
    Wiz20 can match the dual NR thing but neutral white tint, close to same lumens, single light to deal with but with extras if you want to make use of them (not needed, can be totally ignored as has no effect on the light) of being programmable and can carry spare cells for longer rides while still being USB rechargeable.

There are a couple lights out that make NR luminas obsolete and overpriced anymore. But they have been around a while and a known brand. Beyond that they aren't worth the money anymore. They have some serious catch up work to do.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Wiz20 can match the dual NR thing but neutral white tint, close to same lumens, single light to deal with but with extras if you want to make use of them (not needed, can be totally ignored as has no effect on the light) of being programmable and can carry spare cells for longer rides while still being USB rechargeable.

There are a couple lights out that make NR luminas obsolete and overpriced anymore. But they have been around a while and a known brand. Beyond that they aren't worth the money anymore. They have some serious catch up work to do.
    You seem to be a pretty a big fan/proponent (numerous posts and signature line) of Ituo lights - do you have some affiliation with them?

RAKC
    Ya it's in my signature. I didn't for the longest time (besides doing reviews for them like I was for many other companies) but I do now.

I've been a big light nerd here a lot longer than I've been affiliated with Ituo and I work with them now because they put so much effort into trying to make things exactly how riders here want.

I give credit where credit is due and the only lights I would consider worth spending money on (for anyone) don't just include Ituo, just NOT nightrider, cygolight and the other "LBS stocked name brands" because you get so little for what you pay. The companies that aren't in every LBS are the ones that actually build based off what riders need and want. Glowworm, lupine(though insanely expensive), trail led, Ituo, and some others are designed by riders (not just roadies) for riders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ya it's in my signature. I didn't for the longest time (besides doing reviews for them like I was for many other companies) but I do now.

I've been a big light nerd here a lot longer than I've been affiliated with Ituo and I work with them now because they put so much effort into trying to make things exactly how riders here want.

I give credit where credit is due and the only lights I would consider worth spending money on (for anyone) don't just include Ituo, just NOT nightrider, cygolight and the other "LBS stocked name brands" because you get so little for what you pay. The companies that aren't in every LBS are the ones that actually build based off what riders need and want. Glowworm, lupine(though insanely expensive), trail led, Ituo, and some others are designed by riders (not just roadies) for riders.

Cool; I was just curious. I'm not a "bike light nerd", and like the OP, I am somewhat overwhelmed by the options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Lights

What's the word on Gemini lights?

Also, I think I like the idea of wireless like the NR Lumina or the Ituo Wiz 20. Are there any good options for a wireless helmet mounted light?

RAKC
    gemini wireless works great but that's about the extent of it right now. Lights run hot and if they go into thermal protection they step down hard. If its not very warm out or you dont leave them on high at low speeds their fine. Duo is the one thats bad for it. Olympia runs cooler but you dont get near the run time and you have to watch out not to run the pack down too far while on a ride because it does drop down to low output instantly when the battery hits a certain point in discharge.

Wireless systems are coming slowly, Gemini got that right but miss stepped a couple of things. Not a problem at all for some, others its a total headache. So youd have to sort out if the issues will be an issue or not for you.

The one downside to wireless though, which I have learned, easy to magically loose the damn remote lol!

I like turtles

Interesting about Ituo...I spent some time looking at their stuff and they certainly seem to be taking many of the ideas discussed here and incorporating them.

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by drew502 View Post
    What's the word on Gemini lights?

Also, I think I like the idea of wireless like the NR Lumina or the Ituo Wiz 20. Are there any good options for a wireless helmet mounted light?
    I run Geminis and they are fine for me. I have not had the thermal issues but I don't use mine much outside of fall/winter months. They are cool white tint which again, for me hasn't been a huge deal but I do like the NW tints better. I also don't have the fancier wireless remote ones so can't comment there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey all. I ordered the Ituo XP2 and it's rad. Thanks for all the advice.