mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Overcharging batteries.

I've just started night-riding, so don't make fun of me please if this is a stupid question.

I have a pellet gun that runs on the same battery (slightly different connection) as my light. One thing my about my pellet gun's battery and charger is that you are encouraged to NOT leave it charged more than 4 hours. Apparently the cells get fully charged and with a current still being sent through them, it heats them up and doesn't drain the charge, but places a damper on the battery life. I bought a special charger for it that shuts off continuity when it somehow recognizes that the battery has reached its max.

My question is, do I need to keep the same caution with bike lights in not leaving the battery charging more than what is necessary? If it helps at all, I was cheap and went with a Hong Kong light from amazon (and so far impressed with it).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Caution is a good thing when charging li-ion batteries.

I have no idea about the battery in your pellet gun, but what you have put is correct for charging li-ion batteries in general and bike lights in particular. Once the battery is charged, disconnect it from the charger. A timer also serves another purpose - if for example the battery should have been charged in 3 hours, if it is still charging after 4 hours, something is seriously wrong & charging should be stopped until you figure out what the problem is & fix it.

It seems to me that incidents with bike batteries come down to 4 factors (1) poorly designed and manufactured chargers (2) low quality cells (3) inadequate components on the PCB & (4) a lack of quality control in general.

You should also make sure your bike light battery is adequately waterproof. Some of the current crop are good, others have nothing more than shrink wrap & a bit of cardboard.

Lots of people use a hobby charger to charge their bike lights. Personally I use a "accucell 6", but essentially the same. What model charger do you have for your pellet gun? If as you say the batteries are the same, you would be able to use the same charger, eliminating one of the risk factors.