Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Outbound, I apologize for the derisive tone of some of my above "questions". Thank you for not taking insults from them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    oops, mistake, deleted
    Last edited by abvgdee; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Had another nice long ride with the road version Sunday night. Not too many surprises with this light for me since I've got a good amount of hours of use with it but I did find my riding buddy's reaction to it interesting. George is a mechanic at a lbs and has always run Niteriders (1500 and 1000 pro, OLED 800 Lumina), so typical medium width round beam than creates a hot spot in whatever light I've ever taken on a ride with him. I usually run neutral white lights which admittedly look yellow/dim when combined with cool white lights like the Niteriders he uses so I don't think he's normally very impressed with what I'm running but not so with the OL road version. I think he was paying closer attention because he liked the fact that the light was US made + the tint of the OL was closer to his Niteriders + the wide smooth beam of the OL road lighthead equalled a very impressed George (and it's hard to tell with him). At one point we were riding along a unlit canal bank and I covered my light with my hand and I was even surprised how much visibility was lost with only his lights left running. Even beam coverage works really well!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I do the same thing while riding with our older MS lights. Once you've gotten used to the OL light, covering it up has a jarring effect. A week or two ago I was descending one of our local twisty roads with the OL road version on my wife's bike, and it was the most comfortable nighttime descent of that road I've experienced, by a margin, and the light wasn't even on my bike.

-Jeremy

mtbr member
    Glad seeing the light!

We had a similar reaction when launching the lightbars I had designed for another company. I focused on an even beam width with a rectangular beam pattern and soft falloffs, forgoing high peak numbers and big lumens. In head-to-head wall shot tests the "other" bars would "win" but once people used the optics I designed on the road, and more importantly in races it became more clear what I had intended. Right now our lightbars are on half the rally cars in the US in less than a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E1f7G-Ha4A

Most lights were intense circular spots just like a lot of bike lights. So teams would have 4-5 of these aimed slightly off and would see 4 or 5 different hotspots while sliding through the corners. Instead now it's just a wide even wall of light that makes driving (and riding) at night a lot more comfortable.

New straps arrive Monday, and hope to get them out to everyone ASAP. Then I can start sending these lights out to reviewers and influencers. Last thing I wanted was to send a light out for review and have that 8% chance that it'd break. Would be disastrous!

mtbr member
    Thought some of you guys might find this interesting. I put together a "How It's Made" page on the site showing the construction of the light.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/how-its-made/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That was AWESOME!
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    That was AWESOME!
    Thanks! Took a while to shoot in the whitebox, but I hope can show exactly what goes into each of these lights.

mtbr member
    @Outbound; People are going to like that page that explains "How it is made". You need to add that link to your signature ( at the bottom of your posts )

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I've been following this thread for a few weeks. I'm looking into getting my first light(s). An option I was considering that was previously discussed is the Outbound Trail with the Gloworm X2. The Gloworm Cool White was cited as the best color match for the Outbound, but I see they have Daylight and Neutral White as the only options. Did they change their options?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robojet View Post
    I've been following this thread for a few weeks. I'm looking into getting my first light(s). An option I was considering that was previously discussed is the Outbound Trail with the Gloworm X2. The Gloworm Cool White was cited as the best color match for the Outbound, but I see they have Daylight and Neutral White as the only options. Did they change their options?

Thanks!
    Daylight is Gloworms version of cool white and similar in tint to the Outbound lights. X2 works well for spotting surprises around up coming corners and illuminating trail features beyond the reach of the Outbound trail.
    Mole

mtbr member

Thanks!
    If you are considering getting two lights, might I suggest the downhill package? It's the road version for your head, trail version for the bars, extension cord, two batteries, two chargers, gopro mounts, gopro helmet mount and the bar mounts. They work together amazingly well.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/pro...in-bike-light/

This video (starts around the 6 minute mark) shows how the light carpets in front blend together seamlessly, along with the extra punch of the road reflector to make for a pretty awesome riding experience.

https://youtu.be/IBcJUYLPYSo?t=6m4s

Plus cheaper than buying an X2 and a trail separately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
    If you are considering getting two lights, might I suggest the downhill package?
    I am considering 2 lights, but thinking about getting one now and one later in the year. I have thought about downhill package, but I was leaning towards a smaller profile light for my helmet. Side note: I had been researching lights for about 3 months and was pretty unhappy with the options available at certain price points. I was just about ready to DIY something because I wanted some serious light so I could see down the road, but also width so I could see what was around me. By complete accident I came across this thread. I eagerly read through every post from the beginning and was so happy to find what I was looking for! I just want to say thank you for creating this light at a price I think is completely reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Daylight is Gloworms version of cool white and similar in tint to the Outbound lights. X2 works well for spotting surprises around up coming corners and illuminating trail features beyond the reach of the Outbound trail.
    Mole
    Thank you for the clarification! Is it safe to assume that all Gloworms models with "Daylight" would be a good color match, or would that be a mistake?

I'm also wondering if the Alpha model would be a good choice, or would I be losing too much to save a few dollars?

mtbr member
    Thank you for the clarification! Is it safe to assume that all Gloworms models with "Daylight" would be a good color match, or would that be a mistake?

I'm also wondering if the Alpha model would be a good choice, or would I be losing too much to save a few dollars?
    I got my X2 back from Action Led, I sent it off to have the NW emitters swapped for the Daylight versions, it was a fast and very reasonable service. It is indeed now a much better match for the OL Trail, and they go together nicely. I am sure the OL Road and Trail would also be an excellent combo, but I think having the wireless bar mounted remote for the X2 on the helmet seals the deal for me.

mtbr member

I'm actually not sure if the Alpha (and CX Urban) match the other Gloworm lights since these 2 have different emitters (XP-G3) but would think they're pretty close (I own a Alpha but it's NW). Alpha would work fine with a Outbound trail. Besides being less expensive than the X2 the Alpha is also a little smaller (I can't even tell when its on my helmet) plus only requires about 60% of the current draw of an X2 to produce similar throw (narrower beam). Main advantage of the X2 is the wireless remote switch. Both lights are very good throwers and if you need more there's always the XS.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Both lights are very good throwers and if you need more there's always the XS.
    Mole
    Great info. Really appreciate it. I was looking at the Gloworm website as well as action-led. It seems that the color option (Daylight/Neutral White) is only offered by action-led. The Gloworm website does not indicate what the color is... so I'm not sure what I would be getting there. Is this a service that action-led provides that you can't get from Gloworm?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Gloworm standard is dailight tint. Only action lights rework the leds to a second option.
    I send you a pm with some additional info.

mtbr member
    Had a nice group ride the other night, letting everyone demo the lights, and a few people who had already been using the lights for a long time.

Going to have another group ride in the STL area (Lost Valley) next sunday (August 5th) at 8pm where anyone interested can demo any of the light setups we have.

Save Jesus
    Just went on a brief suburban road ride (neighborhood streets with streetlights). Comments:

1. Good color temperature and rendition.

2. Generally even "carpet" of light in front of bike.

3. Can still see some stripes of uneven light within the beam pattern, which means when I rock the handlebars back and forth they show up. Not as bad as a hot spot that moves back and forth, but still... Can the silicone diffuser be improved further to make the light more even?

4. Overall the beam pattern is good, but I would have preferred a lump of light far forwards and center like I assumed from the simulation plots.
    I attached a MS paint drawing to show what I mean. The light blue diagram is what the OL road beam pattern feels like, and the green is what I prefer. Both these patterns have the same "beam angle" as defined by the two sloped lines on each side.
    Name:  beampattern.png
Views: 408
Size:  3.5 KB

5.Dam, this takes a long time to charge. I have a battery charger with customizable settings for use with RC car batteries. What is the connector on this battery, and what settings should I use to charge this?

6.Setting #3 and #4 are nearly the same brightness

7. I haven't had a chance yet to try my typical night ride, which is up and down a twisty road in the hills. The main issues here will be how good is the side illumination, and whether the beam sweeping back and forth as I slowly crawl up the hill will be annoying or not.

8.Any plans for a head tube mount, or link to some kind of Go-pro adapter bracket thing?

9. Light needs a little bit more of a "visor" from the case, so that when I stand and pedal on the uphills, it won't blind me when I look down.

10. I don't like the mounting strap because the settings are too discrete, and either the light is too tight or loose. I prefer the plastic clamps with a screw to tighten.

11. Center of mass should be above mounting point, otherwise, hitting bumps will eventually cause the light to dip downwards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Just went on a brief suburban road ride (neighborhood streets with streetlights). Comments:

1. Good color temperature and rendition.

2. Generally even "carpet" of light in front of bike.

3. Can still see some stripes of uneven light within the beam pattern, which means when I rock the handlebars back and forth they show up. Not as bad as a hot spot that moves back and forth, but still... Can the silicone diffuser be improved further to make the light more even?

4. Overall the beam pattern is good, but I would have preferred a lump of light far forwards and center like I assumed from the simulation plots.
    I attached a MS paint drawing to show what I mean. The light blue diagram is what the OL road beam pattern feels like, and the green is what I prefer. Both these patterns have the same "beam angle" as defined by the two sloped lines on each side.
    Name:  beampattern.png
Views: 408
Size:  3.5 KB

5.Dam, this takes a long time to charge. I have a battery charger with customizable settings for use with RC car batteries. What is the connector on this battery, and what settings should I use to charge this?

6.Setting #3 and #4 are nearly the same brightness

7. I haven't had a chance yet to try my typical night ride, which is up and down a twisty road in the hills. The main issues here will be how good is the side illumination, and whether the beam sweeping back and forth as I slowly crawl up the hill will be annoying or not.

8.Any plans for a head tube mount, or link to some kind of Go-pro adapter bracket thing?

9. Light needs a little bit more of a "visor" from the case, so that when I stand and pedal on the uphills, it won't blind me when I look down.

10. I don't like the mounting strap because the settings are too discrete, and either the light is too tight or loose. I prefer the plastic clamps with a screw to tighten.

11. Center of mass should be above mounting point, otherwise, hitting bumps will eventually cause the light to dip downwards.
    3. Working with the supplier to try and improve the lenses in future runs. We are always going to keep on trying to improve on all aspects of the light.

4. Are you using the trail or the road?

5. Standard DC5521 connector. Should take about 4.5-5 hours to charge from completely empty.

6. Indeed, almost no perceivable change from high to medium-high. However there is indeed a small current change. Got a bit happy-go-lucky with the number of settings we wanted. Future lights are probably going to just have the Adaptive, High, Medium, and Low settings, no more in-between.

8. Your light should have come with a small GoPro adapter that can be swapped out with an M3 hex tool. Then have the options for the hundreds of different gopro tube mounts out there. The OEM GoPro stuff is quite good, though pricey.

11. This was a compromise. I agree with you, but then the light would be sitting almost 3-4" above the bar, looking quite goofy, and making mounting a little harder. So the focus on lightweightness was the priority.

Save Jesus

4. Are you using the trail or the road?
    road

mtbr member

Luckily I havn't had any movement issues with the stock strap but I do prefer the Gopro mount. Here's a picture of my road version using a Gloworm QR bar mount. Curious what diameter bar your using the strap mount on?

Outbound Lighting Focal Series  ---- Discussion -----005.jpg

Looking forward to what you think after you ride your light in these conditions. I was disapointed with how low actual production models max. lux numbers were compared to the prototypes but in actual use have been very happy with the lights performance.
    Mole

Save Jesus
    Had a chance to do rural (no streetlights) road riding. For those of u in Nor-Cal, it was Old La Honda road, a popular hill-climb for roadies.

The first thing I noticed was that this light does not have that much forwards throw unless you are willing to raise it a few degrees and start to blind oncoming traffic. But at least the throw seems good now. I still think this light would benefit from throwing a bit more light out at the horizon. The good thing is that the "light carpet" patch is spread out enough that there is not a hot spot in front of you that blows out the rest of your night vision.

This first pic is along an open straight road. The top image is when I set the light just high enough that it will illuminate an oncoming car's license plate, but not the driver. The middle image is when I raise the light more, and you can now see that the road signs are glowing, and the white bike lane line is illuminated much further. Note that the "light carpet" patch isn't really any dimmer, but the throw is much better. Third image is the LED headlights from my car. It has sharp cutoff, very even illumination, and even the left side of the road is lit up. (click image for full size)

Outbound Lighting Focal Series  ---- Discussion -----open_road.jpg

Next set of images is when I am actually in the hills with trees. BTW, I like how the light leaks a bit upwards so I can see what is overhead. Again, notice how much better the throw is when I aim the light higher, but also see how much higher that pole is illuminated, so worse for oncoming traffic.

Outbound Lighting Focal Series  ---- Discussion -----closed_road.jpg

There is still a mild annoyance due to the slight striping in the light patch when I sway the handlebars back and forth, but it is less annoying than seeing the side cutoff of the light sway around. However, on my way up, I got passed by another cyclist with some cheapo light with a dim, blue, round, narrow spot waving around back and forth. (He only passed me because his light was lighter) My light was totally better.

Another thing I noticed was that due to the shape of the beam, I don't have enough light in the upper left corner. So what this means is that I can't take left turns at full speed because I simply can't see. For some reason, right turns are less of a problem, maybe because I ride on the right side of the road? Now I think what might be a good idea is to maybe have an asymmetrical beam that throws a little more light to the upper left, sort of like how my car headlight does. Despite what I said in my last post where I wanted the beam pattern to be more "pointy" in the front, now I want it to illuminate the horizon further to the sides. And maybe make the light on the right side a little bit dimmer (while increasing the angle at the same time) because you don't need to illuminate close objects so much.

Outbound Lighting Focal Series  ---- Discussion -----left_turn.jpg

Additional comments:
    Light color temperature and rendering is still very natural and good.
    Maybe have a little lever that can toggle the light up and down a few degrees.
    Now that I think about it, levels 4, 3, and even 2 are nearly the same brightness.
    What's the max amps I can charge this at, if I want to charge it quickly? And what type of Lithium is it, so I know the final voltage to aim for?

mtbr member
    Had a chance to do rural (no streetlights) road riding. For those of u in Nor-Cal, it was Old La Honda road, a popular hill-climb for roadies.

The first thing I noticed was that this light does not have that much forwards throw unless you are willing to raise it a few degrees and start to blind oncoming traffic. But at least the throw seems good now. I still think this light would benefit from throwing a bit more light out at the horizon. The good thing is that the "light carpet" patch is spread out enough that there is not a hot spot in front of you that blows out the rest of your night vision.
    Nice post beanbag!! I know what you mean about the difference in beam angle adjustment for effective cutoff vs. max throw. For riding on roads I've only used mine in town where speeds are relative low and adjusting for cutoff works fine for me in that application but I also prefer the road version (compared to the trail) for the trails I ride and always adjust up a few degrees for that. Using the Gloworm mount w/Gopro adapter (picture in my last post) makes on-the-fly adjusting a bit easier.

Questions about your beam shots:

1) Were they all taken in the highest/brightest mode?

2) Was the car beam in low or high? Would you consider your cars lights performance similar to most (noticed picture labeled Golf R which is the "high performance model" and I'm not sure if it's equipped with upgraded lights)?

Now that I think about it, levels 4, 3, and even 2 are nearly the same brightness.
    I always run the road version at the second lowest level. Current draw on this light is a bit high for its power output and low battery protection (so you don't run out of light suddenly) kicks in when the fuel gauge drops to 3 LED"s. Won't allow access to any higher settings after that, good to know if you do longer rides.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Despite what I said...
    I guess any mega-rocket-scientist would also be confused if asked to do what you tried to do ó to express a general function of 2 variables (real angular distribution) as a function of only 1 (as you drew). I heard experts hate to be confused, so that's probably why they use "wall" shot images (what's the proper name BTW?).

Save Jesus

1) Were they all taken in the highest/brightest mode?

2) Was the car beam in low or high? Would you consider your cars lights performance similar to most (noticed picture labeled Golf R which is the "high performance model" and I'm not sure if it's equipped with upgraded lights)?
    1) I forgot. Probably #3 setting
    2) regular low beam. It's the first year that VW had LED headlights on this car. I think they are pretty good, but I don't know how good they are relative to other cars.

mtbr member
    Gotta remember with LED headlights on cars, they are often multiple segments, large reflectors, weigh 15 pounds, and roughly a combined 5000-6000 lumens for both left and right headlights. Better comparison would be to cover up one of the headlights. Most modern headlights are designed to work in pairs, where the left one illuminates more of the left side of the road, and the right vice versa.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Can anyone comment how these lights compare to Light & Motionsís Seca lineup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This is a dumb question, but Iíd like to charge these batteries in my vehicle. Can anyone recommend a car charger with dual outputs to charge 2 simultaneously? I could use a cigarette lighter pigtail and get 2 chargers I suppose...

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    You realize car chargers take quite a long time to charge these style battery packs? A charger to charge quickly doubled up on a power outlet may very possibly overload the circuit. If you have 2 outlets I would try to aim that way. Using each on separately.

My way of dealing with it is power inverter in my rear power outlet. Used it to charge whatever including my ryobi battery packs for my cordless tools when doing trail days.

I've used an RC charger in the past too but for some odd reason the cheap inverter is more efficient than the not so cheap charger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

cheeki breekie

Ordering pair of focal series (trail/road) without battery

I've been working on as I prepare for this kickstarter campaign.

I was missed the party. I'm having interest in night riding in last 3 month, so I wasnít have many experienced so far.

Regarding with your lights, it's possible to order a set both road and trail version without battery pack send to Indonesia? My country is always restricted with battery only packages (except device with self-containing battery), and all my order including with battery pack is always returned to seller and my order was cancelled. In the end I'm must build my own pack using Chinese battery box. That's why most my bike light is self-contained dual emitters unit because of these limitation.

I'm living in Eastern Asian region which is quite difficult to get trusted west branded light because no reseller here, ordering directly cost too much shipping and heavy tax especially packages with up to $50 USD value.

Due all those inconvenience, I have no choice using Chinese brands but it quite a mix of bag. But at least some of reputable Chinese lights are quite good.

Considered I'm still noob in this field, here some light history I've been used to explain why I'm need at least perfect light solution to suit in my taste.

1) My first light was Ravemen PR1200 ($100 USD). It was good and working well so far. But in struggle penetrating heavy rain / heavy fog. Honestly I'm haven't spend light more than $100 each unit (Ravemen PR1200 is the most expensive in my collection) but probably I want adding secondary PR1200 in future to run dual/pair PR1200 setup. I'm like the color temprature which is less glare on trail even at maximum brightness. My only complaint is no fully operation via remote, because button on remote only hardwired to changing brightness button (cannot switch mountain/road mode on the fly)

2) Got a pair faked Solarstorm X3 with triple XML T6 (total was $18 only!) and...hell crap, using awhile for at least temporary complement with existing Ravemen PR1200. Color temperature isn't match but I have no choice.

3) Got a pair of true Solarstorm X2 with CREE XM-L2 emitters (was $26 at that time ordering). Super bright, but just hotspot. Also flickering PWM, interference with my analog RF wireless cateye computer. Well, at least it can penetrate fog stronger than Ravemen PR1200.

4) Order a pair Nitenumen X8 for $45 USD each, $90 in total. I have read in in budget light forum features and looks great so I'm ordered. Unfortunately, it seems not as good Iím expected. Claimed 1800 lumens but Solarstorm X2 / Ravemen PR1200 still brighter than that. The good only in good huge LG battery, so itís shine longer than my Ravemen PR1200 in highest settings. Its looks this light are quite underpowered since it have XM-L2 it should at least perform like non self-contained siblings Solarstorm X2. Not causing interfere with my analog RF wireless bike computer.

5) KDLitker BL-70S for $42, this time just buy one, not pair because of their size (and already equipped with high power XHP 70.2). One of my favorite because it provides me quite warm temperature, Iím choose 4000K color and illuminate trail like a sun, because it more natural for my eyes seeing periphery with sunset / sunrise like color. The worst is switching mode too fast activate curse blinding strobeÖIím wonder why strobe mode should be activate by double clickÖuggh. This one is quite powerful to penetrating thick fog.

6) Purchase pair of Gachiron V9D-1600, ($55 each, $110 in total. Everything goods, beam pattern have nice flood but still have enough throw, I can say this is jack of all trade of beam pattern. UI is behave similarly like Ravemen PR1200, smooth/stepless mode changing, fully wired remote operation (where Ravemen PR1200 doesnít), can using wired remote in rain without reduce water ingress risk, and hidden blinding eyes strobe mode. Brightness is equal with Ravemen PR1200 and all mode is usable (no useless eco mode). So Iím quite pleased with beam performance. But it have quite fatal shortcomings in my opinion, since it consist of two piece body construction, metal body of this lamp is very small, the rest just plain plastic, make it prone to overheat. Iíve test at speed which most lamp should cool (about 50-56km/h by drafting big trucks for about 2 km), It still quite hot!! Other lamp I have usually still cool at maximum brightness at least when Iím pushed to 40km/h.

As stated above, thereís just a bunch light I have and tested so far. No one is perfect. Still finding suitable setup for my taste, and thatís why Iím found your focal series and interest to get one. I'm also fan of pair setup, it's provides me longer time on dark trail because low/medium output from double separate beam are brighter than low/medium with single headlight.

TLDR, So this is my question,

1) Is possible to purchase headlight unit only? (without battery/charger) Because I donít find option to choose headlight only in your store.

2) Its have similar Magicshine / Solarstorm like battery plug setup? From Iím read from this thread Iím assume it should have common DC plug found in many common battery packs (just to make sure) because of my country lithium battery restriction law.

3 I'm know this is shameful, but it possible to declare value lower than $50 when ship put? As you know, all my bike are came from China and they always gave me low price declaration for all these lamp, so they can delivered to me without being stuck on custom.

Sorry for spamming to much for my first post, has been lurker since 2012 but tempted with your focal series so I create account to get in touch. (pardon for grammar error because English is not my native)

Regards
    Last edited by yurc; 1 Week Ago at 12:15 AM. Reason: fixing some typo and add some missing information

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    You realize car chargers take quite a long time to charge these style battery packs? A charger to charge quickly doubled up on a power outlet may very possibly overload the circuit. If you have 2 outlets I would try to aim that way. Using each on separately.

My way of dealing with it is power inverter in my rear power outlet. Used it to charge whatever including my ryobi battery packs for my cordless tools when doing trail days.

I've used an RC charger in the past too but for some odd reason the cheap inverter is more efficient than the not so cheap charger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I have a car outlet in the back thatís always on. It supports a pretty gnarly USB-C charger that I can power battery banks up pretty fast.
    The included AC adapters are pretty slow, Iíd rather skip an inverter as my AC outlet isnít in the cargo area where I want to store my lights. I was looking on amazon and just didnít see many car chargers with this plug unless I missed something. Iím at work for 10-12 hrs so the battery packs would have tons of time to charge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yurc View Post

PM'ed you!

mtbr member
    Regarding the car charging, I know some newer cars are coming with some really high amperage charging ports. Heck it's even a rated item on car & driver in depth reviews (decent is 1A, great is 2A). I've been surprised how quick my phone charges using a USB port in my truck, but it's also a 2A one I believe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Iím just going to run an inverter and 2x2A AC chargers as the only cigarette car chargers are all 1A. Should be great!

mtbr member
    Third party reviewers starting to get some lights for testinggggg.

OUTBOUND LIGHTING FOCAL SERIES ROAD LIGHT

The unit performed flawlessly. It is simple to use and maintain. If you are training with a GPS head unit, you will probably need to put your head unit in your jersey pocketÖthatís really the only negative to this unit. It is priced below its competitorsí comparable units and is a great value. Itís also lightweight at 100g (3.53 oz.) headlight or 416g (14.67 oz.) for the complete system. This latest entry into the headlight arena deserves a full 5/5 stars from us!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Been running the downhill package on quick hour rides before work in the morning for the last week or so. Everything is working out pretty good, overheated 1 light once though. I turned it off about 2 minutes after stopping and it took a minute before it cooled down enough to turn back on. Not that big of a deal, I figured it was in a thermal protection mode although I couldnít see the lights as it was helmet mounted. I continue to be impressed by the road/trail combo.
    Honestly, the trail just doesnít light up the trail as much as Iíd like by itself. It gives me a nice fill but the amount of light on the trail is too dim for me to use alone. But, toss the road on the helmet and itís game over! Light for days with a nice even fill directly in front of you.
    Iím relatively inexperienced at night riding, and I worry about judging heights of trail features (rocks/roots/holes). I do get shadows on the features with this setup and thatís a good indicator I can use to tell me if thereís any ďreal heightĒ behind something.
    Overall I love it. The performance and quality of all the components for the cost is great.

beater
    I havenít had a chance to use my trail lamp yet. Iím a little concerned about the amount of throw for my conditions, which are Montana mid-elevation Ponderosa forests and sage meadows - not dense forest. But I usually do only 2-3 night rides a year with my trail bike. Most of my night riding is over snow on the fatbike, with lower speeds and higher albedo landscape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
    Been running the downhill package on quick hour rides before work in the morning for the last week or so. Everything is working out pretty good, overheated 1 light once though. I turned it off about 2 minutes after stopping and it took a minute before it cooled down enough to turn back on. Not that big of a deal, I figured it was in a thermal protection mode although I couldnít see the lights as it was helmet mounted. I continue to be impressed by the road/trail combo.
    Honestly, the trail just doesnít light up the trail as much as Iíd like by itself. It gives me a nice fill but the amount of light on the trail is too dim for me to use alone. But, toss the road on the helmet and itís game over! Light for days with a nice even fill directly in front of you.
    Iím relatively inexperienced at night riding, and I worry about judging heights of trail features (rocks/roots/holes). I do get shadows on the features with this setup and thatís a good indicator I can use to tell me if thereís any ďreal heightĒ behind something.
    Overall I love it. The performance and quality of all the components for the cost is great.
    Try mounting the Road on the bar but aimed high (along with the Trail). The two complement each other extremely well. I rarely using my helmet light anymore, except on faster downhills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Outbound Lighting Focal Series ---- Discussion ----

Quote Originally Posted by stu06 View Post
    Try mounting the Road on the bar but aimed high (along with the Trail). The two complement each other extremely well. I rarely using my helmet light anymore, except on faster downhills.
    Iím usually climbing rocky singletrack next to a wall and the road makes ďhot spotsĒ on the wall when I bar mount the road. The trail/road bar/helmet combo works great for me. I think it would work great for everyone who is willing to shell out the $$.

Save Jesus
    Did u send out the updated straps yet?

mtbr member
    Yurc - Companies get fined out of existence and people go to jail for undervaluing goods for export. I don't like paying Duty and VAT anymore than anyone else, but I'm not going to ask someone else to put their butt on the line so I can save a few bucks, and I'm certainly not going to ask that in an open public forum.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567