Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Just Ride !

Other than bike lighting .

Treated myself to a Xmas present with a Zebralight SC600 Mk II L2 as my first real light and my EDC .
    How about you all ?
    Every time i walk into the LBS and see the price tags on new bikes it makes me enjoy and appreciate my Ol' ride even more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    A Nitecore EA41. How do you like the Zebralight? Is it heavy? It's on my future list
    Last edited by GJHS; 01-27-2015 at 01:14 AM.

Just Ride !
    Quote Originally Posted by GJHS View Post
    An Nitecore EA41. How do you like the Zebralight? Is it heavy? It's on my future list
    78 grams without battery .
    I'm very pleased with it so far , one feature I like is that it has a 2.7v cut off built in , so running unprotected cells won't be an issue .
    Every time i walk into the LBS and see the price tags on new bikes it makes me enjoy and appreciate my Ol' ride even more.

mtbr member
    I also have one, and i really like the surface treatment!
    NITEFIGHTER BT40S 4xCree XP-G2 Neutral White LED 1600 Lumens Mountain Bike Light

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Treated myself to a Xmas present with a Zebralight SC600 Mk II L2 as my first real light and my EDC .
    How about you all ?
    The Zebralight SC series are very highly rated. I don't own one my self but wouldn't mind having one. Not cheap though. Seeing that you own one I have a question:
    According the the manufacturer the 2nd sub-levels are programmable. I take that to mean that if I wanted to have my medium mode set to say, "300 lumen", I could do that?
    Anyway, very nice looking torch. I don't think I would consider it an "EDC" ( everyday carry ) torch because well...it's an 18650 torch and would be quite big to carry in a pocket. Could work well if you had a belt pouch though I suppose. On a side note I also noticed that it is also available with a neutral white LED, a big plus.

Nope, for me EDC means something that fits in your pocket without getting in the way. I use a very small "AA" powered torch for that. The 18650 torches, I carry those in my EDC bag.

And speaking of 18650 torches; I just recently bought an upgraded drop-in ( XP-L 3-mode ) from K/D. I use it in a standard Ultrafire 501-B torch host. Very nice output on high. This is going to come in handy for those times when I just want something lite-weight and wireless on the helmet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Eagletac T200C2 XM-L2 Neutral White

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My favorite EDC Fenix LD01 has a new partner with my Nitecore Tube. Super compact, rechargeable and amazingly bright for a keychain light. How do they pull 45 lumens out of an external button led?
    Other than bike lighting .-image.jpg

Just Ride !
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The Zebralight SC series are very highly rated. I don't own one my self but wouldn't mind having one. Not cheap though. Seeing that you own one I have a question:

Anyway, very nice looking torch. I don't think I would consider it an "EDC" ( everyday carry ) torch because well...it's an 18650 torch and would be quite big to carry in a pocket. Could work well if you had a belt pouch though I suppose. On a side note I also noticed that it is also available with a neutral white LED, a big plus.

Nope, for me EDC means something that fits in your pocket without getting in the way. I use a very small "AA" powered torch for that. The 18650 torches, I carry those in my EDC bag.

And speaking of 18650 torches; I just recently bought an upgraded drop-in ( XP-L 3-mode ) from K/D. I use it in a standard Ultrafire 501-B torch host. Very nice output on high. This is going to come in handy for those times when I just want something lite-weight and wireless on the helmet.
    The 2nd programmable levels are for high ,you can choose 356 lumens & 160 other than the 670 & 1100 .
    Med are 30 & 72 lumens
    "High: H1 1100 Lm (PID, approx 2 hr) or H2 670 Lm (PID, approx 2.5 hrs) / 356 Lm (3.9 hrs) / 162 Lm (11 hrs)
    Medium: M1 70 Lm (30 hrs) or M2 32 Lm (66 hrs) / 12 Lm (172 hrs)
    Low: L1 3.8 Lm (16 days) or L2 0.43 Lm (2.5 months) / 0.06 Lm (4.6 months) / 0.01 Lm (5.5 months)
    Beacon Strobe Mode: 0.2Hz Beacon at Low / 0.2Hz Beacon at H1 / 4Hz Strobe at H1 / 19Hz Strobe at H1"

It's actually pretty compact for a 18650 , @ a 100mm long it fits nice in my pocket with the clip

I want to get a second torch and been toying with the idea of a budget torch plus those P60 drop in of some sort .

mtbr member
    Zebralight H52w is my helmet light and flashlight of choice.
    H52w AA Headlamp Neutral White
    Also like the nitecore sense AA, nice beam, great interface.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    The 2nd programmable levels are for high ,you can choose 356 lumens & 160 other than the 670 & 1100 .
    Med are 30 & 72 lumens
    "High: H1 1100 Lm (PID, approx 2 hr) or H2 670 Lm (PID, approx 2.5 hrs) / 356 Lm (3.9 hrs) / 162 Lm (11 hrs)
    Medium: M1 70 Lm (30 hrs) or M2 32 Lm (66 hrs) / 12 Lm (172 hrs)
    Low: L1 3.8 Lm (16 days) or L2 0.43 Lm (2.5 months) / 0.06 Lm (4.6 months) / 0.01 Lm (5.5 months)
    Beacon Strobe Mode: 0.2Hz Beacon at Low / 0.2Hz Beacon at H1 / 4Hz Strobe at H1 / 19Hz Strobe at H1"

It's actually pretty compact for a 18650 , @ a 100mm long it fits nice in my pocket with the clip

I want to get a second torch and been toying with the idea of a budget torch plus those P60 drop in of some sort .
    Not quite what I understand from the Zebralight website. This is what is written on the website:

Basic Operation
    One short-click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
    Two short-click turns on the light to Medium.
    Three short-click turns on the light to the beacon-strobe mode.
    Press and hold (for over 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low and then Medium and High. Release at the desired level.
    Advanced Operation and Configuration
    Press and hold to cycle from Low, Medium and High, release at the desired level to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in.
    Double click to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that main level. Sub-level selections for the 3 main levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    The second sub-level (H2, M2 and L2) of each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels. At a main level, double-click 6 times to start configuration. On subsequent double-clicks the light will cycle through different brightness levels. Short click to turn off the light when finishing configurations. The selections for the second sub-levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    This light uses the main LED (flashing 1 to 4 times) to indicate the estimated remaining capacity of the battery. To start the battery indicator, (from Off) short-click 4 times without pause.
    Beacon-strobe mode can be accessed from 3 short-clicks when the light is Off. Once in the beacon-strobe mode, you can double-click to cycle through different types of beacons and strobes. Beacon-strobe settings are memorized when the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    ....basically it doesn't tell you what the secondary programmable levels are. It just calls them, "different brightness levels". Obviously set-up and operation of one of these is not entirely intuitive. Now if I could set one up and get > high (Max output ) - medium ( 300 lumen ) - low ( ~ 100 lumen ), and have it save those settings I might consider buying one.

mtbr member
    Cat its intuitive once you use it.
    It has low med and high. In medium the brightest level is 70lm. This is always available, but the second medium level can be either 32 or 12lm (you set this with six clicks, say we've set 12lm for this).
    So to get to medium you give it two clicks and you get either 70 or 12lm ( it remembers the last mode). Double click to toggle between 12 and 70.
    Same for high and low. Note the high high level is throttled back promptly when it overheats.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

Just Ride !
    Not quite what I understand from the Zebralight website. This is what is written on the website:

....basically it doesn't tell you what the secondary programmable levels are. It just calls them, "different brightness levels". Obviously set-up and operation of one of these is not entirely intuitive. Now if I could set one up and get > high (Max output ) - medium ( 300 lumen ) - low ( ~ 100 lumen ), and have it save those settings I might consider buying one.
    It's a very sweet torch Cat , but I hear what your saying .
    I'll mess around with different settings on mine and report back .

Light freak

Been digging on these two 1AAA EDC's

mtbr member
    I wasn't going to talk about my EDC torch too much because I thought if I did there would be a run on them and possibly sell out. Regardless, I just got a second one for back up so what-the-hey, I'll put it out there.

I picked up this Solarforce single AA with XP-G2 earlier last year. For the most part I've been really pleased with it because one, it's so small and two, for only being 120 lumen max it seems way brighter than the listed max. Not to mention the beam pattern is more, "medium wide" and much better than most small torches which seem to provide almost "bullet like" beam patterns. It also has 4 usable steady modes. In my opinion the high and medium (2nd) mode are bright enough to ride by. The other modes are good for walking speeds.

The only thing preventing it from being a "Slam Dunk" is that it doesn't have memory and it doesn't tail stand. Oh how I wish it had memory! Still, for the money it is one nice little torch. Roughly it is about the size of my middle finger and sits in my pocket almost without notice. Comes in 5 different colors and has a pocket/visor clip that can be moved to work in either direction. Clicky tail switch is the "forward clicky" type.

Moving on; With my last K/D order I also picked up a nice *3-mode XP-L drop-in for my Ultrafire 501-B ( H-L-flash ). I've tried it out a couple times now and I'm very impressed with the brightness and beam pattern. This is going to come in real handy once I start riding in the summer and just want a lite-weight setup for the helmet. Anyway, I've been real pleased with all the stuff I've bought from K/D over the last couple months.

( *actually I bought the entire 501-B torch with drop-in. If you already own a current 501-B torch it's best to just buy a replacement torch host because the tail switches tend to burn out after a season or two and finding/buying just the tail switch/cap is very hard to do now. I figure for the price it doesn't hurt to have a back-up on hand when the inevitable happens. )

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice CatManDo. I have been trying to find the perfect EDC light. So far it's my AAA Fenix LD01, it's a perfect EDC light, with good throw, my only minus is the twisty. My only issue with any light is pocket ability. They fit fine, I just hate having it bounce around with coins and keys in my pocket and clipping them to my pocket makes it difficult to reach the pocket contents. I was putting it in my 5th pocket yet it was a bit too thick. I picked up the Nitecore Tube because it fits great in my 5th pocket, it's plastic so no worry of scratching, its rechargeable and adjustable light from 1 on up to 45 lumens of flood is great for most situations around town.

I'm getting a DQG Fairy as a backup because:
    A How cool is 120 lumens out of something this small?
    Other than bike lighting .-image.jpg
    B it small enough to truly fit on a keychain with being bulky

The question is how big is too big or how much do you need? Checking the EDC forums, I see people carrying an 18650 light as their EDC.

Just Ride !
    Nice CatManDo. I have been trying to find the perfect EDC light. So far it's my AAA Fenix LD01, it's a perfect EDC light, with good throw, my only minus is the twisty. My only issue with any light is pocket ability. They fit fine, I just hate having it bounce around with coins and keys in my pocket and clipping them to my pocket makes it difficult to reach the pocket contents. I was putting it in my 5th pocket yet it was a bit too thick. I picked up the Nitecore Tube because it fits great in my 5th pocket, it's plastic so no worry of scratching, its rechargeable and adjustable light from 1 on up to 45 lumens of flood is great for most situations around town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	952556

The question is how big is too big or how much do you need? Checking the EDC forums, I see people carrying an 18650 light as their EDC.
    Check this one out , pretty much the same specs as the SC600 II L2 but has smaller head and slightly shorter , so you may find it as a better choice for a EDC .

SC62w 18650 Flashlight Neutral White

mtbr member

You would think that with EDC torches "Smaller" would be better. I've considered buying the small single triple A or CR123 type torches as some of those are really quite nice and bright as well. The thing is I found that when it comes to actually using them in the field the small size can actual work against you. If I'm portaging my bike over a boulder field or just using the lamp for work I sometimes have other things in my other hand. This means I have to fumble with a torch with one hand and the super small torches I found are a bit harder to work with when I'm in that situation. The torches using single AA batteries work for me. Not too small and not too big although some of the single AA torches are bigger than others.

After that there are a whole slew of things that might make one more usable than another. Generally, a list of things I find important;

1) beam pattern.
    2) usable modes
    3) usable clicky switch
    4) usable brightness level
    5) usable user interface
    6) usable size and host form

For beam pattern I like something with a medium wide beam pattern. Since I'm using something powered by a single AA cell I don't need something super bright. A turbo setting of 200-180 lumen would be nice but I can settle for at least 120 lumen. After that I need at least 3 modes that are usable. A flash mode is nice when I'm walking across roads at night. I don't need modes listing below 50 lumen.

When it comes to the UI I need simply and usable. Reverse rear clickies are my favorite. Side buttons or modes that change by turning the head, not what I want. I need to be able to operate the torch with one hand and be able to change modes without too much problem.

Like I mentioned before size is important, not too small or too big. I almost forgot to mention that if you plan on carrying inside a pocket it is VERY IMPORTANT that the torch body have NO SHARP EDGES! Sharp edges will eventually tear holes in your pockets. Believe me, I found this out the hard way.

Of course finding something that will fit the entire bill is really hard and takes some serious searching. In the end you will end up compromising on the lesser issues and get something that works for you. Still the more personal requirements that can be met the happier you will be.

When Scar mentioned one of the Thurnite torches I looked at the Thurnite website and saw the Thurnite Archer 1A. This looks like a nice EDC torch. It has a lot of features I like. While not perfect size wise ( slight larger than I would like ) the plus's out-weigh the negatives. Big pluses are it is using a Cree XP-L emitter. It will also use a 14500 Li-ion cell as well as a standard AA cell. This is a big, big plus. It has memory and hidden strobe. The clip on the side would slip the torch right onto the strap on my hydration pack without any problem. All big pluses. Unfortunately the size is pretty big as AA size torches go but I might be able to over look that. Unfortunately there is no way to know what beam pattern it provides without actually holding it in your hands.

Light freak
    Some great product testing of the Thrunite Ti3

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok then, how do I contact Thrunite for some review lights

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You would think that with EDC torches "Smaller" would be better. I've considered buying the small single triple A or CR123 type torches as some of those are really quite nice and bright as well. The thing is I found that when it comes to actually using them in the field the small size can actual work against you. If I'm portaging my bike over a boulder field or just using the lamp for work I sometimes have other things in my other hand. This means I have to fumble with a torch with one hand and the super small torches I found are a bit harder to work with when I'm in that situation. The torches using single AA batteries work for me. Not too small and not too big although some of the single AA torches are bigger than others.

After that there are a whole slew of things that might make one more usable than another. Generally, a list of things I find important;

1) beam pattern.
    2) usable modes
    3) usable clicky switch
    4) usable brightness level
    5) usable user interface
    6) usable size and host form

For beam pattern I like something with a medium wide beam pattern. Since I'm using something powered by a single AA cell I don't need something super bright. A turbo setting of 200-180 lumen would be nice but I can settle for at least 120 lumen. After that I need at least 3 modes that are usable. A flash mode is nice when I'm walking across roads at night. I don't need modes listing below 50 lumen.

When it comes to the UI I need simply and usable. Reverse rear clickies are my favorite. Side buttons or modes that change by turning the head, not what I want. I need to be able to operate the torch with one hand and be able to change modes without too much problem.

Like I mentioned before size is important, not too small or too big. I almost forgot to mention that if you plan on carrying inside a pocket it is VERY IMPORTANT that the torch body have NO SHARP EDGES! Sharp edges will eventually tear holes in your pockets. Believe me, I found this out the hard way.

Of course finding something that will fit the entire bill is really hard and takes some serious searching. In the end you will end up compromising on the lesser issues and get something that works for you. Still the more personal requirements that can be met the happier you will be.

When Scar mentioned one of the Thurnite torches I looked at the Thurnite website and saw the Thurnite Archer 1A. This looks like a nice EDC torch. It has a lot of features I like. While not perfect size wise ( slight larger than I would like ) the plus's out-weigh the negatives. Big pluses are it is using a Cree XP-L emitter. It will also use a 14500 Li-ion cell as well as a standard AA cell. This is a big, big plus. It has memory and hidden strobe. The clip on the side would slip the torch right onto the strap on my hydration pack without any problem. All big pluses. Unfortunately the size is pretty big as AA size torches go but I might be able to over look that. Unfortunately there is no way to know what beam pattern it provides without actually holding it in your hands.
    Just curious cat have you done anything about the heatsinking on your drop in? The problem with those drop ins are the heatsinking is about as bad as it possibly gets. To improve things I've cut, sanded and rolled strips of aluminium tin can around my dropins and forced them in, this seems to improve the thermal transfer a little, although I'm still not that happy with the performance of my P60 lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whokilledJR View Post
    Just curious cat have you done anything about the heatsinking on your drop in? The problem with those drop ins are the heatsinking is about as bad as it possibly gets. To improve things I've cut, sanded and rolled strips of aluminium tin can around my dropins and forced them in, this seems to improve the thermal transfer a little, although I'm still not that happy with the performance of my P60 lights.
    In answer to your first question, no...not yet but I've yet to use it on a ride. Eventually I'll get around to *potting the drop-in. (*potting = adding strips of aluminum or copper to help remove large air gaps between the drop-in and host )

I've used P-60 drop-ins for years. While their ability to transfer heat to the torch body is poor, they still perform well enough to function for quick on-off usage. I use mine for helmet duties. When doing that I only use the high mode for less than a couple minutes at a time. Otherwise I'm using the medium mode which is usually bright enough to complement my bar lamp. As far as I've been able to tell there are no thermal issues at the lower intensities.

Now if I wanted a torch for the bars I would use a torch better designed to dissipate heat as my bar lamp is the lamp I usually use the most when on a ride. Then again the way I look at it, if you are using torches for bike lights you quickly learn that, "Using only the output needed", is a very important mind-set if you want to get the best run times from the single cells they use. On the other hand dedicated bike lamps that use larger battery packs don't necessarily require the same, "efficiency" mind-set when using.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've got a Zebralight H600Fw MKII and love it. I don't use it for riding per say, but camping/caving/canyoneering/summits/drunkin shenanigan type stuff. One thing I wish the light did better was run on high for longer.

I've been considering picking up an Armytek wizard pro just to have but obviously there would be a lot of overlap with my ZL. Thinking of picking up a 18650 flashlight instead. Want lots of throw....any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Either GJHS or Garrybunk mentioned BLF in another thread so I started an account...Didn't know so many others had a light addiction like myself.
    I'm in the hunt for a small 18650/2xCR123 to use at work and it looks like the olight s20 might just fit the bill, just wish I could find a nice clone.

Just what I need, another hobby.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Either GJHS or Garrybunk mentioned BLF in another thread so I started an account...Didn't know so many others had a light addiction like myself.
    I'm in the hunt for a small 18650/2xCR123 to use at work and it looks like the olight s20 might just fit the bill, just wish I could find a nice clone.

Just what I need, another hobby.
    I just got the Convoy S2+ 940 Lumens for $15. It's a nice light that seems really popular on BLF. It just went on sale for $14 Gearbest's Special Deals ( The last deals before the Chinese New Year ) | BudgetLightForum.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would avoid 2xCR123 lights and stick with a single 18650. Mixing cells or using multiple cells can cause big issues. The last two explosions were 2xCR123 lights. If your using it daily, making sure boths cells are matched may be too much work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast