a.k.a. MTBMaven

OS Handlebar Flashlight Mounts

I've been out of the loop on this scene for quite a while so forgive my ignorance. I have a AA LED flashlight I got from DX a few years ago. Likely an UltraFire CREE type thing. In the past I've attached it to my helmet using a velcro mounting set up, both DIY and little universal mount from DX.

I'm looking for some way to mount the light on my OS 31.8 handlebar. What options are out there these days?

I really liked the idea of the DKG Mini Mount but they don't make a version for OS bars.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

twofish

The Twofish Lockblocks Flashlight Holder works on my OS handlebar. Just be careful to get a real Twofish, there are a lot of other brands that look the same. I got a counterfeit one off Amazon and it didn't hold as well off road, though it probably would have been fine for commuting. The original Lockblocks work better for AA size flashlights, the Cyclopblock is for larger flashlights. I got a set of 3 from Jensonusa.com for $13, if you just want one you might be best off asking at your local bike shop to make sure you get the real deal.

mtbr member
    This can work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    This can work.
    I have this one and never really use it except as a backup if all of my TwoFish knockoffs (from DX) are out on loan already.

I just don't like the plastic, feels like it could break at anytime.

I find the rubber/velcro TwoFish knockoffs to be the most versitile mounts, best bang for the buck. They can be used on different size bars, with different size torches, and even on helmets (depending on the helmet). Plus you can get them in two different configurations.

Sku #31871
    Sku #12000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    I have this one and never really use it except as a backup if all of my TwoFish knockoffs (from DX) are out on loan already.

I just don't like the plastic, feels like it could break at anytime.

I find the rubber/velcro TwoFish knockoffs to be the most versitile mounts, best bang for the buck. They can be used on different size bars, with different size torches, and even on helmets (depending on the helmet). Plus you can get them in two different configurations.

Sku #31871
    Sku #12000
    I've got one of those D/X two-fish knock off mounts as well. Since I haven't used it in a while I had to dig it out to do a quick comparison. I took one of my good sized torches and tried to mount it to my road rig which has tapered OS handlebars. When I pulled on the velcro to tighten the torch the velcro just tore in half. Certainly not a confidence builder. After I borrowed velcro from another mount I got it to work again. It holds the torch fine but the rubber base likes to flex with every bump making the light go all over the place. Basically, not to my liking. On the other hand I've used this same mount with a smaller AA torch and it worked fine.

The one I linked to is certainly not perfect. Since both straps are rubber there is a limit to how tight you can get it to hold. Seems to work best with larger torches and wider bars. There is some movement when I bounce the front end but over all more stable than the velcro/rubber mount. I know you said you didn't like the plastic on the one I linked to but I find it one of the better selling points as the plastic base is designed to swivel. This means you can off-set the torch and then point it where you want. You can't do that with the two-fish stuff. This one here is still my favorite torch mount but unfortunately it doesn't work with OS bars.