mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New question here. Origin 8 Vivid Pro 200

I purchased two "Origin 8 Vivid Pro 200" lights for my two boy. The retailer had them on a one day sale for 30 bucks each, half off! I almost never buy anything without researching the item. With this purchase I could not find any reviews, yet I purchased them anyway. Does anyone have any input on these lights?

Origin 8 Vivid Pro 200-origin8.jpg

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by Drbo View Post
    Does anyone have any input on these lights?
    You will, shortly....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ill post some pics when they come in the mail and provide a review.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So the lights came today. I will be comparing the Origin8 to the Serfas True 250. I was shocked how small the lights are. The origin8 is easily half the size of the Serfas T250. The fit and finish of the Origin8 great and is obviously a quality light.

Origin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00232.jpgOrigin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00246.jpg

The box says ProPulsion and refers to the light as the Surge Pro. The name on the actual light reads Vivid Pro.

Origin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00245.jpgOrigin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00244.jpgOrigin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00243.jpgOrigin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00234.jpgOrigin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00235.jpgOrigin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00236.jpgOrigin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00237.jpg

The light is quality and just a hair less bright than the Serfas T250. The awesome thing about these lights is they share the same mounting bracket. The Serfas lights have a higher quality bracket and if I ever need to replace a bracket for the Origin8 I will purchase the Serfas bracket.

Origin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00240.jpgOrigin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00239.jpgOrigin 8 Vivid Pro 200-cam00238.jpg

The light is on par with the T250 as far as brightnes. It does have a yellow halo on the very outer edge of the beam pattern and I only noticed it when I set the unit down on a solid surface.

To be quite honest both lights are fantastic. The Serfas is a better quality light with the removable battery and a much better build quality with a metal bezel and removable battery to keep the night lit up for your rides. The Origin8 does not have a replaceable battery and once it is dead, its dead until you can recharge it.

For the purpose I purchased them for (my two boys) it is a great buy to have a quality light for them to be seen and see when the sun goes down.

Bottom line, for me I would go buy the Serfas lights again due to the replaceable battery. I carry two extra with me on all my rides for the two lights. The Origin8 is awesome light too for a pavement or fire road adventure, just keep in mind the two hour run time at the highest setting. I don't regret the purchase and would buy them again for the price I paid, 30 bucks each.

mtbr member
    Hey Drbo, nice review. I'm currently searching for a small(ish) front lamp to use as a "Day Time" front flasher, something in the 200-300 lumen range. The smaller the better. Typical torch types are a little big but most mini-self-contained are only about 70 lumen.

My real pet peeve is "useability". I want a slow flash and I want the lamp to have "mode memory" so I can instantly turn the lamp ( on/off ) to the mode I want without having to fiddle through a bunch of mode clicks or press and hold sequences. ( press and hold for off is fine )

If the lamp has memory I can set up the mode I want and hopefully be able to quickly turn the lamp on and have it return to the mode I want ( slow flash in this case ). Having a feature like that would be real important for day use so you wouldn't have a big delay if you wanted to draw attention to yourself real fast.

With most lamps the flash modes are buried. That being the case they are not real useful unless you turn them on and leave them on. Does the Vivid Pro have mode memory?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No there is no memory. However, the setting you want (slow flash) is the first mode when you turn the light on for the flash settings by holding the button down for two seconds. The button pushes are;

push once - steady high
    second push - steady med
    third push - steady low

It will cycle through the steady modes with each push until you turn the light off by holding the button for a couple seconds.

To get to the flash mode you hold the button down for a couple seconds and all the flash modes are at the "high" 200 lumens setting.

Hold the button down two seconds - high slow flash
    second push - high strobe (I love this setting)
    third push - high staggered slow flash...3 rapid flashes (not strobe) then three slow flashes and alternates with 3 fast, 3 slow flashes with a short pause between each cycle.

I have these on my kids bikes and they really are great lights and the battery life is true to specs about 6-8 hours for the flash mode. I also use one on my helmet in flash mode since they hardly weigh anything. My Serfas T250 (great light too) weights substantially more and you always new it was there with the weight, the Origin8 have proved to be a great helmet option for commuting and so light you forget it is there.

Hope this helps with your research. I would buy these again once they wear out. They have a Lipo lithium battery, not sure what that means but the bezel I found is actually metal and has two torx screws. I am guessing if you are handy enough the battery may be user replaceable. In my opinion you can't go wrong with this light for the price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drbo View Post
    No there is no memory. However, the setting you want (slow flash) is the first mode when you turn the light on for the flash settings by holding the button down for two seconds. The button pushes are;

push once - steady high
    second push - steady med
    third push - steady low

It will cycle through the steady modes with each push until you turn the light off by holding the button for a couple seconds.

To get to the flash mode you hold the button down for a couple seconds and all the flash modes are at the "high" 200 lumens setting.

Hold the button down two seconds - high slow flash
    second push - high strobe (I love this setting)
    third push - high staggered slow flash...3 rapid flashes (not strobe) then three slow flashes and alternates with 3 fast, 3 slow flashes with a short pause between each cycle....
    hmmm...This might be doable. Not memory per say but since the slow flash is first once the press and hold is done this might work. Not as "instant" as I might want but this is could be a doable compromise. Not to mention I might get a great back-up lamp as well. This could work.

Can you estimate the frequency of the slow flash ( ie...one flash per sec, 2 per sec..etc ) ?? Anyway, thanks for the quick response.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    my best guess is 2 flashes per second.

What What!!!
    Mar 2010
    got a question, it is a usb charging port, have up plug a smartphone to it and see if it charges the phone?

jb