mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Ordered some Lupine Lights

Decided to see how the Lupine system works. Great service from Gretna bikes so far!

I wanted a flashlight/integrated battery for my girlfriend who will be doing her first mtn bike night ride and also wanted to be able to easily put it on the beach cruiser (and take off so no one steals it), so I ordered a Piko TL Max (1200 lumens with 2 hrs. runtime).

I also wanted a more powerful compact helmet light for me, so I also ordered a Piko7 (1200 lumens and 4 hours of runtime).

I really like the idea of having high quality batteries, chargers, and light units, that are all compatible. I also picked up a headlight strap for my Piko.

Both of these units looks pretty slick. If these work as well as I hear, I'll probably be handing down some of my other lights to some friends and pick up a Wilma or Betty for my bars. I'll get back with some feedback after they arrive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You wont be disappointed as these are very well made products, yes there are cheaper alternatives out there but Lupines do rock especially once you get into the big boys,,(Wilma/Betty) Customer service from Gretna has been nothing short of awesome in the five years I've been using Lupine products. Enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've always thought that a two 1200 Piko set up would be a killer set up.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss View Post
    Decided to see how the Lupine system works. Great service from Gretna bikes so far!

I wanted a flashlight/integrated battery for my girlfriend who will be doing her first mtn bike night ride and also wanted to be able to easily put it on the beach cruiser (and take off so no one steals it), so I ordered a Piko TL Max (1200 lumens with 2 hrs. runtime).

I also wanted a more powerful compact helmet light for me, so I also ordered a Piko7 (1200 lumens and 4 hours of runtime).

I really like the idea of having high quality batteries, chargers, and light units, that are all compatible. I also picked up a headlight strap for my Piko.

Both of these units looks pretty slick. If these work as well as I hear, I'll probably be handing down some of my other lights to some friends and pick up a Wilma or Betty for my bars. I'll get back with some feedback after they arrive.
    Maybe it's just me but me thinks that if I were to take my wife, girlfriend or just a good friend on their first nightime mountain bike ride I don't think I would be running out to buy one of the most expensive set-ups just for the occasion. I hate to be the kill-joy, buzz-kill, party pooper but I think it prudent to make the point.

My view is that when you take some one out for their first mountain bike night ride they will either love it, hate it, or be completely indifferent ( meaning they could take it or leave it. ) The lamp you give them isn't really going to influence that decision as long as they have something that allows them to see well. Any lamp ( or lamps ) supplying over 500 lumen should allow anyone to see well. That said if girl friend really doesn't like riding at night all that much it's possible that you might have saved some bucks by buying something not quite as expensive. Night riding is not everyone's forte. Speaking for myself, I don't see a lot of people riding at night. When I do see people riding at night ( back in the woods ) they are generally men. Than again I don't ride with groups or clubs so perhaps I've just never run into any.

Anyway, I hope your girl friend likes the night. If she does than perhaps it's all money well spent. Anyway you look at it your pockets are probably deeper than mine so if she hates it you can likely take the hit ( besides, you KNOW you just want it for yourself anyway, )

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ....That said if girl friend really doesn't like riding at night all that much it's possible that you might have saved some bucks by buying something not quite as expensive.
    IMO the OP is being prudent by getting the high quality light. Equipment issues would be a sure killer for a new riders experience.

I kind of equate it to the wife's car. I'll take it to the large Northwest based service company for tires, brakes, shocks, battery, etc. They have branches all over, high quality products, fantastic service, and high prices. I'll pay the high price in exchange for the peace of mind that if she were to have a problem, it will be quickly, easily and professionally handled.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have a 7 yr old Wilma set-up and have just exhausted the first battery. Just ordered a second battery.This is such a great light system & company. Great purchase!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    IMO the OP is being prudent by getting the high quality light. Equipment issues would be a sure killer for a new riders experience...
    Well sure, if you give them something that didn't work right but who would give someone something to use if it didn't work right? I've done many a ride with lesser quality stuff and never had a problem. Now if the stuff doesn't work right when you take it out for the first time than yes, that would certainly be a buzz kill. Not saying it doesn't happen but that it why you test the stuff out before taking it out to the field.

While I've never had the opportunity to take any of my friends out for a night MTB ride I would have no problem in lending them one or more of my cheaper Chinese made bike lights. If I had any worries it would likely be more about someone else's riding skills than about equipment failures. Last thing I want is my little lady doing an endo because she over-estimated her own abilities to ride at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    ...I kind of equate it to the wife's car. I'll take it to the large Northwest based service company for tires, brakes, shocks, battery, etc. They have branches all over, high quality products, fantastic service, and high prices. I'll pay the high price in exchange for the peace of mind that if she were to have a problem, it will be quickly, easily and professionally handled.
    That's kind of a "horse of a different color". A car is something you use almost every day while a bike ( for most people ) is for sport/leisure activity. As such if the bike or equipment is of lower quality you can usually get by without too much trouble. On the other hand having a car that is not well maintained is asking for trouble. No one wants their honeybun stranded on a cold dark night on the side of the road. Regardless, even with new cars and excellent maintenance bad stuff happens. That's why you always make sure she has a "plan B"...ie ...cell phone...triple A..etc, etc.

Now if honeybun is commuting to work everyday on the bike and riding centuries on the weekends she can likely kick my a*s. If that's the case give honeybun the Lupine, she's earned it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for all the input. Saving money isn't the issue and I could certainly get by with less. After putting her Piko TL Max on the bars and my Exposure Diablo on her helmet, I think it will be a good combination for her.

I put the Piko 7 on my bars and have a couple nice amoeba lights that I purchased from scar on mtbr (I highly recommend his lights for a great value!) that I can run on my helmet and loan to others for their night laps at the 24 Hours in the Sage that I race every year.

After trying different combinations, I think that a Piko on the bars and on the helmet would work great for night laps at this race and any other night riding that I would do. If I needed something brighter, I wouldn't hesitate to look the Wilma or Betty.

Lupine lights are top quality and will never leave you wishing you had purchased something else (unless money is an issue and you are looking for the better value).

The lights are nothing compared to her new Ripley that I just got for her! She's hooked and can already keep up with me on the 4-6% grade climbs. I'm in trouble!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    LOL. Now, if money isn't an object, here's the next thing you need:

Cardo BK-1for Bicycles

It's an intercom for cycling. I found a good deal on these from eBay and bought a set. It's a terrific thing for couples while cycling. I hate to say it, but this is probably the best cycling thing I've bought in the last 5 years. My wife loves it - really adds to the shared experience while cycling.

J.

mtbr member
    No regrets on my TLMax mini.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    me too,My wife loves it - really adds to the shared experience while cycling. [img]http://************[/img]

mtbr member
    Lupine makes some awesome products.

mtbr member
    I also have been a user of Lupine Lighting from Gretna Bikes and Dan is a wonderful guy. I have a Betty 6 @ 2600 Lumens, Betty R @ 4500 Lumens a Betty R Flash Light and also a Piko 1200 Lumen Flash Light. There is nothing like Lupine..!