mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Opinion on bar light aiming.

Hi guys, I just mounted my new Exposure Toro MK6. It is at about 10-15 degrees down angle and based on the video link below, in your opinion, is it still aimed a little high? The bike was on a level street and the street sign is a good 30 plus feet away. It is also fairly bright out. I didn't try this on low or high setting as I'm assuming coverage is the same in Flash mode. I know that it'll depend a lot on how or where I'll be riding, but also how this will affect oncoming riders or drivers if I'm riding in the city. The mount is pretty much pernanent unless I loosen and adjust everything of course. Thanks for any input.I'm new to the game, btw

http://youtu.be/JQtvMEb0nO8
    Last edited by JT2MA71; 01-11-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: video link

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Video is set to private, so nobody can help you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Video is set to private, so nobody can help you.
    Oh oops! Sorry, changed it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think you can judge until you use the light at night. If this is for road riding it probably is fine or a little high. You really need to judge this for yourself in the dark. Leave it as is, and give it a test ride. Then you tellus how it worked. Also tell us how you like the light. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Just thought I'd still ask. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Street signs are a poor choice to gauge lights. They are designed to reflect light back at you. Even my little 2xAA Planet Bike Baze 2 on flash, makes street signs light up from a block away.

With your Toro MK 6, the stop signs, street name markers, and other road signs will blink back at you from 4+ blocks away. What counts on aiming is "does it light the road in front of you."

High powered XM-L/L2 lights don't generally work well as "blinkies." In their flash mode most used their highest setting, and can be blinding for rider and drivers, with the switch between too bright, and black. These kind of light are designed to light up the path in front of you. And generally, on the streets (unless it's totally deserted) should only be used on low or mid settings.

For a Blinky "To be seen by others" light, get an inexpensive flasher. It can be anything from a $2.00 keychain on up. I'd suggest something that takes standard rechargeables, or is USB rechargeable in the $20-$30.
    Last edited by Ian_C; 01-11-2015 at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for the input! I might consider getting different lights like you described for other than trail riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just to clarify, I didn't mean "don't use your MK 6 on the road." I use my my XM-L and soon L2s (impatiently waiting for Netherlands Post) on the road. I just keep them at lower settings. I was just saying "don't use it as a blinky."

Personally I use the my blinky whenever I'm out on the bike - night and day. I like the "never off" flash pattern on the Blaze, and the AA form factor so I can have spares in my pack. I only need to change them out 2-3 times a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JT2MA71 View Post
    Hi guys, I just mounted my new Exposure Toro MK6. It is at about 10-15 degrees down angle and based on the video link below, in your opinion, is it still aimed a little high? The bike was on a level street and the street sign is a good 30 plus feet away. It is also fairly bright out. I didn't try this on low or high setting as I'm assuming coverage is the same in Flash mode. I know that it'll depend a lot on how or where I'll be riding, but also how this will affect oncoming riders or drivers if I'm riding in the city. The mount is pretty much pernanent unless I loosen and adjust everything of course. Thanks for any input.I'm new to the game, btw

January 11, 2015 - YouTube
    As per your video, assuming you are asking about daytime use I can't see any reason not to aim the lamp straight ahead for maximum throw. If you use the flash mode during the day it will be bright. Not sure you need a daytime flasher that bright but that is your decision.

When I ride in full daylight on the road the only time I would use my most powerful lamp on flash would be in a traffic situation that I felt to be very dangerous and that only for a brief moment. When riding during the early evening or after the sun has set I will use a standard mini LED flasher that is ~ 80 lumen. I find this more than enough light to alert people to my presence during the twilight evening hours. Then when the sun if fully set I turn my main light on and move the flasher to my fork and aim it slightly up so I don't see the bounce on the road.

Not to step on your toes here but the lamp you're using is quite big and not something that is easy to adjust while on the road. A smaller self-contained lamp or lamp with a separate battery would be much more easier to work with and not block up your bars so much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks guys. My main purpose for the light is trail riding. But some local trails are close enough that I can ride to and from home. I WAS hoping to use it as my only light. The video was mainly just to get an idea, if there's a general rule, on aiming it, although I knew that depends on each rider and/or bike. I had just installed it and didn't have a chance to test it on an actual dark/night ride. I don't think I will be using the flash mode much if I use it at all, and after testing it last night, low mode is enough for anything other than trail riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JT2MA71 View Post
    Thanks guys. My main purpose for the light is trail riding. But some local trails are close enough that I can ride to and from home. I WAS hoping to use it as my only light. The video was mainly just to get an idea, if there's a general rule, on aiming it, although I knew that depends on each rider and/or bike. I had just installed it and didn't have a chance to test it on an actual dark/night ride. I don't think I will be using the flash mode much if I use it at all, and after testing it last night, low mode is enough for anything other than trail riding.
    There are people who would like to tell you there is a general rule but truthfully there are no rules. However if you just want an extra opinion on the subject, here is mine...

* When riding on the road only use the amount of light you need to serve your purpose. If you can ride safely and see everything you need to see use only the amount of light needed to do so. Obviously the faster you go the more light is generally needed. Aim the light so you can see what you need to see. Common sense is your best friend so be sure to bring him along.

**Whatever you do, don't compromise your own safety. If you're going to err, err on the side of protecting your own butt. Protecting your own life is more important than any minor inconvenience your lamp might give to another person....and with that thought, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you're going to use lesser amounts of light don't do it to the point of jeopardizing your own safety.

Obviously your lamp is not designed to be easily adjusted. If you feel you want to tilt it down when on the road that is your call. That said if you want to aim it straight ahead for trail use you will need to bring a tool along but then you already know that I'm sure.

EMBA Member
    As far as trail riding goes, what I like best is when I am on faster section, which generally means they are straighter and/or there is limited roots/rocks, I set the bar light to project farther, and drop the helmet light a little to further illuminate things closer to me as needed/desired. When I'm riding tighter twisty trails and or rooty/rocky terrain, I point the bar light down as steep as needed to best see what's closer to me (depends on how slow I'm going), and use the helmet light to look around corners, and/or further illuminate the obstacles or look ahead. As to riding on the street, I never do that, so can't comment.