mtbr member
    Aug 2008

One big vs combo

Am I better of getting one brighter light for handlebars only or a less-bright handlebar one and adding a small helmet light? I'm lookin at a budget of $400 or a bit more.

This is mostly for nighttime trail riding. One thing to note is that only trail near me that allows night riding is fairly open and flowing - some in woods, some out. It's also not pitch black outside as the trail is near some well lit areas. Most people seem to ride it fine with 300-500 lumens, some even lower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I really like my Exposure MaXx D and Joystick lights. I will never go back to lights with wires and a battery pack. A bright handlebar light and a helmet light go together really well for night bike riding. It's kind of like driving in a car at night, it's great to see the road up ahead but add a spot light into the equation and you can look around to the side of the road while still having the road ahead well lit.
    Last edited by Resist; 04-25-2009 at 08:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbarron
    Am I better of getting one brighter light for handlebars only or a less-bright handlebar one and adding a small helmet light? I'm lookin at a budget of $400 or a bit more.

This is mostly for nighttime trail riding. One thing to note is that only trail near me that allows night riding is fairly open and flowing - some in woods, some out. It's also not pitch black outside as the trail is near some well lit areas. Most people seem to ride it fine with 300-500 lumens, some even lower.
    You want a combo. Big light on the bars, spot light on the helmet. The helmet light allows you to put light where you need it when you need it - like looking into a turn, illuminating an obstacle etc... The handlebars may or may not be pointed where you need them to be. I find this to be very helpful either on the trail with my mtb or on the road with my road bike.

A great combination is the Dinotte 800L/400L package. I think you get to buy the 400L for something like $10 in this package.

J.