mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Old-school Halogen Niterider - I ain't changin' !

I have a 10+ year old Halogen Niterider setup. dual-beam on the bar and single-beam on the helmet with NiMH batteries (upgraded from original NiCd). Sure they're heavy, but I spent a lot of $$$ when I bought them, and I have NEVER had a problem (no burnt bulbs, no bad switches, etc).

The problem? I need a handlebar mount that fits my new 31.8mm bar. The original bar mount only fits old-school small diameter bars. What can I do to use my old lighting system?

Don't tell me to buy LED lights - I'm a retro-grouch (even though I'm riding a 29er ).

mtbr member
    you must also ride with a bunch of Luddites or else you would know precisely how weak that light is

for crying out loud, you can get a magicshine with 5x the power for $150.

how is your horse and buggy treating you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Depending on what gets ridden, the pace, and the rider's night vision the lighting may be sufficient. In some ways the "yellow" light of the halogens is better, but the new high power LEDs just crank out so much more light.... I would think one of NR's universal bar mounts would do the trick.

mtbr member
    Marwi and Cateye both make adapters and 31.8mm bar clamps that might work with your head units. A picture of the underside would help considerably though.

As for LED vs. halogen - they're his lights, he can ride with whatever he likes, even a candle in a jar if that's his thing!

night riding enthusiast
    Dcubed prolly rides a modded penny farthing with tubeless tires, cleats and prostate saving slot mod on the seat. Still, it's not all new-fangled... His speedo is a wind chime.

Just kidding, I still use a Libretto Pentium on occasion.
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    Dcubed prolly rides a modded penny farthing with tubeless tires, cleats and prostate saving slot mod on the seat. Still, it's not all new-fangled... His speedo is a wind chime.

Just kidding, I still use a Libretto Pentium on occasion.
    Awesome commentary!

Obviously, I wrote my post to generate some interesting responses, not just get an answer to my question. Clearly, I have received both!

I will look for a universal mount and post a pic when I get back home (this weekend).

BTW, I don't do a lot of night rides, so I really can't justify a new set of lights when my antiques work just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhardt View Post
    Depending on what gets ridden, the pace, and the rider's night vision the lighting may be sufficient.
    Let me reassure you, you can carry plenty of speed over varying terrain w/ these lights.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    As for LED vs. halogen - they're his lights, he can ride with whatever he likes, even a candle in a jar if that's his thing!
    Word. If my old NR were still working I'd rock em.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Hi.
    I understand how the old NR halogens were expensive, and probably worked well for you in the past, but it's hard to pass up new lighting systems for $150 or less that will completely change your view of night riding. Literally.

Heck, you may even start doing it more often!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Let me reassure you, you can carry plenty of speed over varying terrain w/ these lights.

Word. If my old NR were still working I'd rock em.
    I agree with you on the speed part to a degree. I never thought that the old NR dual had enough throw for bombing down fire roads, which was why I built a light using a 55W H3 halogen in a car driving light. Needless to say the battery weighed a ton and didn't last very long. For medium speed singletrak, enough throw & fill.

Your old NR probably just needs to be rebatteried if it just sort of died.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhardt View Post
    Your old NR probably just needs to be rebatteried if it just sort of died.
    Your right, but ironically enough it was more cost effective to go with newer, brighter lights.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, it usually works out that way, unless you make up your own battery replacement. You have to be smart about it too. These days, I'd use 4 li 2s2p(like a MS battery) for a 6V system, or 4s2P for a 12V system and slightly overdrive the systems. Remember, those 6 & 12 bulbs are designed to be happy at a couple of volts over nominal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You're probably right, but since my lights are 100% functional, it's hard to lay out the cash for a new set.

mtbr member
    Niterider made a multi-fit bar mount (which I recall worked on 31.8mm bars) for their halogens before they switched to LEDs. You could probably call them up and ask them if they have any left.

Nothing wrong with halogens, we had the 32W dual beam classic (before they called it the classic) and were always impressed with how that beam knifed through the darkness. Short run times, poor battery life.

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcubed View Post
    You're probably right, but since my lights are 100% functional, it's hard to lay out the cash for a new set.
    Damn right!

I used my trusty 12" G4 Powerbook I bought in 2004 until just a month ago. I was perfectly happy with it until a certain misaligned glass of beer robbed the keyboard of it's cursor key functionality. I labored on for a couple of weeks, but finally caved in, only because it no longer filled is purpose as my main novel writing machine.

I loved that machine... Maxed out its memory, replaced the original HDD with a 64Gb SSD, replaced the 18650 cells in the cheap Chinese replacement battery twice... I also loved the comments it invariably got:

"No! Is it? It can't be? a ... a POWER book? Cool... Does it still work? Does it have... The Internet? Why don't you buy the Air?" etc.

All the software I needed ran on it, it was small, had a 4:3 screen, had been dropped onto concrete yet suffered only a slight dent, and it has (erm.. had) a fantastic keyboard.

Sure, it was 1/4 of the speed of my new 13" air, but I still miss the form factor, the keyboard, the sheer robustity (nice word, huh?) and the sheer STUBBORN coolness of being perfectly productive on an 8 year old machine which doesn't even run the App Store! But most of all, I miss the familiarity of the machine I had used for eight years to write my novel on...

I'm getting to like my Air, but still...

Yeah, I'm an IT bod with luddite tendencies that make me all the more appreciative of technology in general... Go figure

If they work for you, stick with them until the bloody (!!! hopefully not literally, if you're night righting!!!) end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcubed View Post
    How hard can it be? I mean it's not like you have to own Fort Knox to up grade from Halogen. Pack your lunch for a week instead of buying and you can buy a new XML LED light. When I think about the stuff I spent money on that ends up being a complete waste or just never gets used...geez....Just on my Red Box rentals that end up being returned days late....On those expenses alone I could easily buy a new light after a year. Then there's the occasional late fee that the condo people charge me because ( even though I paid them 5 days before the late fee kicks in ) They STILL charge me a late fee because they don't cash the check until three or so days after it comes in...WTF! Like that's my fault?!! What can you do?...I'll tell you what you can do. F, those old halogens and screw those condo people....Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! ( with new LED lights that is )

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    How hard can it be? I mean it's not like you have to own Fort Knox to up grade from Halogen. Pack your lunch for a week instead of buying and you can buy a new XML LED light. When I think about the stuff I spent money on that ends up being a complete waste or just never gets used...geez....Just on my Red Box rentals that end up being returned days late....On those expenses alone I could easily buy a new light after a year. Then there's the occasional late fee that the condo people charge me because ( even though I paid them 5 days before the late fee kicks in ) They STILL charge me a late fee because they don't cash the check until three or so days after it comes in...WTF! Like that's my fault?!! What can you do?...I'll tell you what you can do. F, those old halogens and screw those condo people....Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! ( with new LED lights that is )
    I thought you hijacked the thread for a moment; thanks for bringing it home. It's really not so much about the absolute cost in $$$. It's really about having a completely functional light that serves my needs. I don't like to consume just because I can. Besides, it's a little fun to read the passionate arguments of LED users.

The bottom line is that if I were starting from scratch, I would even pay a premium for LEDs. But I'm not, so I'll see what NR can do for me.
    Last edited by dcubed; 02-13-2012 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    As an owner of NR commuters, Cyclops, Blowtorch, Flamethrower, and now the LED lights, I congradulate you for having lights that work.

mtbr member
    If you want to keep the old light get the bar extenders. They will fit your new bar and give you a smaller one to mount to. There are different companies that make them. Here is an ideas of what I mean

Handlebar Minoura Space Grip Standard Black 3In

http://www.probikekit.com/us/contact...ght-mount.html