mtbr member

old NiteRider light

I inherited this old NiteRider light. it's not LED, so i suppose it's halogen or HID? how would one acquire/ make a battery for this? is it worth the effort?

mtbr member
    you can run it on any of the cheap magicshine battery's over volts it much brighter than with a the old nicad batteries Ive 5 of these heads that I use for loners or my kids helmets for $50 bucks you can buy a battery cord and a charger. sure its nothing like a led but it will make you a nice cheap light. the 10 watt bulbs work fine with the protection circuits but sometimes the 15 watt bulbs will trigger a shutdown.. if you need a helmet mount or a bar mount I have a few extra..
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    i have a handlebar mount for it but I might take you up on that helmet mount because that's what I am really after. thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Baja Designs had a trade in program going to get $100 off a Strykr or Strykr Pro. That would be a good use for this light head. Contact shannon@bajadesigns.com to see if he still has the program going.

Its got what plants crave
    The money you will spend to get that running is probably going to be close to what you could just buy a Magicshine or equivalent for.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    yeah, it might not be worth my time. can someone link me to some batteries and cables that would work?

mtbr member
    Heres the plug fitting for the lighthead
    http://shop.willyselectronics.com/br...g-/4,8031.html
    heres a link to a cheap battery and MS cord http://bikeempowerment.com/Magicshine.html
    he would probably sell you a charger on the cheap hes got the best prices on cords and battery's with no shipping
    just splice and solder the two cords and you have a light for around $55 you will get 3+ hours with that 10 watt head. and makes a nice helmet light they worked fine 10 years ago we are getting spoiled nowdays.
    or spend $110 and get a magicshine 900 from Geoman and have killer light

Photobucket

Its got what plants crave
    Aren't the Magicshine batteries only like 8 volts? Most of the Niterider stuff runs on 12 volt or 6 volt. I guess if it's a six volt setup it would work with a Magicshine battery, but certainly not a 12 volt lighthead.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    yes they are 6 volts that's why I mention overvolting which produces a brighter light but a shorter bulb life instead of 1000+ hr you get 600+ -

mtbr member
    BetweenRides mentioned out Trade-Up program, it is still going on.

Basically we give you a $100 credit towards a new Strykr LED (it would run you $198.95 instead of $298.95) the Strykr has a lifetime warranty on the light head and all of the electronics therein and ties for 1st place in the 700 lumen light category at 52lux, the MS900 is rated somewhere in the 30's. (rated by MTBR.com)

That being said, you'd still have lot's of fun with the little 10w NR light, my first "real" light was a 10w NR Trail Rat, that was a great little light I had many great nocturnal adventures with that system - wow, now that I think about it, that light actually lead to my current carrier...

If you'd like more info, my email is Shannon@BajaDesigns.com, I just send you a form, you fill it out, then send it in.

Shannon