mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Is it ok to use recycled laptop batteries

Hi
    I have pulled apart a dell laptop battery, it contained some yellow 18650 batteries marked LGABC11865.

Are these ok to use in a single battery light appliaton? They will be charged using a i4 Nitecore charger. Basically is there a chance they will catch fire or leak while being charged or discharged?

Searching the net they look to be LG brand, as both DELL and LG are good brands I asume the batteries will be what they are advertised.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I use pulled laptop batteries every day as long as they are known brand. LG is certanly good, model is marked C1. See specifications -> http://www.meircell.co.il/files/LG%20ICR18650C1.pdf It is 4.35V cell, so no problems if overcharged in cheapo chargers.

BUT, you need to know how good they are. Sometimes they look good but they might be worn out. Specialy if they get warm or hot when charged. I use i2 and i4 charger is same quality if not fake. You might read thread on BLF.

I test all pulled cells with my hobby charger and use only good usable cells with some capacity left. The rest I toss in recycle bin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Interesting, according to the nitecore website I have the old i4 (pre 2014) according to the photos mine looks the same as on the website.

I just tested the voltage of the 6 batteries, all 3.9V straight out of the pack, does the high voltage mean they are good batteries?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Might be. Certanly this is good indicator all has same voltage and high enough. But voltage might not show how much they are wornt out. Some chinese low capacity cells charges just nice to 4.20V, but they provide very low capacity.

I would say charge them all in your charger and see the voltage afterwards, right off the charger and after some rest (up to 1 day). If the voltage stays almost the same, there are chanches the cells are good. if the voltage drops quickly the they are not so good (still can be usable). But you need to measure at 0.01V accuracy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I use laptop cells too. I've found that sometimes a laptop battery dies prematurely due to a bad cell or pair of cells while the rest stay usable. As Ledoman said test capacity with a hobby charger. The cells are not protected. Be sure that your light has a low voltage cut-off so you do not over discharge the cell.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Li-ion and Li-po batteries die from two things - number of charge cycles (usually around 500 give or take) and age (generally around 3 years). So if you haven't either of those they will probably be ok until you do. The cells themselves are not that expensive so I'd let old batteries get recycled and buy new fresh cells.

J.

mtbr member
    1. Wrong forum; and 2. Re-purpose not recycle, but I digress...

@JohnJ80 - In the case of Li-Ion, I'd argue a third reason... deep discharge.

It would be great to see more Mashers out on the trails at night and fewer trying to re-invent the wheel. Single Cell + Direct Drive = Fail
    Rules to live by...

1. Never settle more for less.
    2. You pay what you get for.
    3. Never make the same mistake once.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Diesel View Post
    1. Wrong forum; and 2. Re-purpose not recycle, but I digress...

@JohnJ80 - In the case of Li-Ion, I'd argue a third reason... deep discharge.

It would be great to see more Mashers out on the trails at night and fewer trying to re-invent the wheel. Single Cell + Direct Drive = Fail
    Agree.

Don't use old laptop cells.

J.