Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Oh No ! I'm having a Genius Attack Again ! Dinotte 400R on Helmet !

in my other thread i was musing about upgrading from 400R to 400R daytime Red but i didn't know what to do with the 400R ...

somebody suggested putting it on the helmet, but i dismissed that idea because i just couldn't see it, and then ...

then i realized that 400L WHICH I AM PLANNING TO GET comes with a helmet mount, but i would use the 400L on the bar ( as a front blinky ) so the mount would be spare, and i might use it to mount 400R on the back of the helmet ! ??? YES / NO / Possible ?

now i have RZ8 on the helmet tail light duty now, and my logic was that on the helmet you need that kind of wide beam because helmet isn't positioned as straight as a seatpost ... but now i'm rethinking that as well !

because i have helmet headlights i must constantly aim them on the road, which means that my helmet actually stays pretty level most of the time ( the headlight beam aimed at the road levels it ) therefore i could in fact aim a 400R straight back from the helmet ! ! !

i would then install the 400R Daytime Red on the seatpost ...

and then i could get a Second Red Zone 8 and mount each to the side of the helmet. this way i would have FIVE lights on the helmet:

2 x Seca 1700 on front of helmet
    1 X Dinotte 400R on back of helmet
    2 X NiteFlux Red Zone 8 on each side of helmet

WOAH - too genius ? or not enough meds ? what do you think ?

by the way - this is not a joke ! not even trolling ! i am completely serious !

i wanted to have NiteFlux on both sides of the helmet for a while, and i wanted the Daytime Red for a while as well. but i couldn't figure out any logical way to do it. now i think i might have.

???

i would basically have ~ 600 grams of lights on my helmet. but let's think about it - right now i have 400 gram helmet with 400 grams of lights, so a total of 800 grams which is unevenly distributed ( forward balance ). with 2 more lights on the helmet 800 gram would go up to 1000 gram but the balance would even out ( two big lights in the front, and three small ones in the back ) and since i don't even notice my helmet now, i will probably get used the extra weight. in fact the placement of side lights will allow me to fine-tune the balance of the helmet as i could place them either further back or towards the middle.

you can never have too much side lighting anyway, and my Fireball Spoke lights which provided 2/3 of my side lighting just died, and i won't be replacing them ( low quality product )

i need to call Dinotte on Monday and ask them if the mount from 400L can be used on 400R ...

mtbr member
    every time i consider upgrades i watch videos i made of myself with the current setup to evaluate whether an upgrade really is warranted:

and i think that it is ...

even though the lights are obviously very bright and conspicuous as they are now, there are times in the video ( notably at 18 minute 20 seconds mark ) where i am next to a group of cars where i lose track of myself and i just see a whole bunch of lights that looks like a bunch of vehicles but i no longer see myself standing out from them. at that 18 minute 20 second mark in the video it just looks like a bunch of car lights but is not at all clear that there is a bike in there somewhere.

this was bothering me for a while but i didn't know what to do about it because i'm already using a lot of lumens on the front, but when i am surrounded by cars i still blend in with them.

yesterday i was walking past an Infinity G37 with Xenon headlights and i realized that even with 2 X Seca 1700 and a Dosun D400 i am still not as bright as he is. so i knew i have a problem.

thankfully the solution was easy to figure out - i just need a strobe on the front. not switching my existing lights to strobe, but adding a smaller light on strobe, while keeping the main lights on solid. after thinking about it for 2 days i now think Dinotte 400L is the perfect light for that front strobe duty.

and then a few days ago i went out during the day and the sun was right over the horizon when i was coming home and the sun was big time in the eyes of drivers behind me and it was worrying me quite a bit - the sun was literally hanging above the road like a traffic light for several miles. yes i had my 400R, but i really was wishing at that time that my 400R was a Daytime Red ...

so i already wanted a 400L and a 400R Daytime Red, and i already have a 400R which brings us to this configuration whereby the L goes on the bar, the Daytime Red on the seatpost and Helmet Mount with the 400R on the helmet ...

but then the question becomes - what do you do with the Red Zone 8 which i was previously using on the helmet ?

well, my original wish was to get a pair of White Zone 10 and have a Red Zone 8 in the back and two White Zone 10 on the sides of the helmet for side visibility, but that was too expensive. Adding two new lights for side visibility was too expensive. and i already had good side visibility from Bike After Dark Fireball Mark 2 WHICH DIED THIS WEEK.

but with this new plan i could use my existing NiteFlux on one side and only need a new one on the other side of helmet.

and also with this plan i wouldn't need to be trying to sell my 400R which i am certain i would take a huge loss on selling.

and because 400R and 400R Daytime Red have Quick Release mounts i could always swap the regular 400R on the seatpost instead of Daytime Red if i wanted to be extra polite, and not use the helmet light.

hm ...

this whole fantasy of course hinges on being able to mount 400R on the helmet with 400L mount which i can't confirm if that's possible until monday ...

but what do you think ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    but what do you think ?
    I think you should ride your bike more.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    I think you should ride your bike more.
    that is my intention. but i don't ride on friday and saturday night because of drunk drivers. i did ride thursday night, and on friday night i went swimming. today though i'm home.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OMG, that's all I can say.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Can MTBR (the "MTB" part does still stand for mountain bike, right?) please give him his own forum?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Can't he post in the road bike forums instead?
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Can you just imagine what this must look like? I'm not even sure how you mount two White Zone 10's, a Red Zone 8, and two Seca 2000's all on one helmet. That's 5 lights on one helmet. Maybe duct tape?

Yikes!

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Somebody please ban him. What a waste of space.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yep if you have to wear a shirt when ridding at night you can't have enough lights heating up the air in front of you.

10,000 lumen ( each ) would be a good place to start.

every time i consider upgrades i watch videos i made of myself with the current setup to evaluate whether an upgrade really is warranted:

and i think that it is ...

even though the lights are obviously very bright and conspicuous as they are now, there are times in the video ( notably at 18 minute 20 seconds mark ) where i am next to a group of cars where i lose track of myself and i just see a whole bunch of lights that looks like a bunch of vehicles but i no longer see myself standing out from them. at that 18 minute 20 second mark in the video it just looks like a bunch of car lights but is not at all clear that there is a bike in there somewhere.

this was bothering me for a while but i didn't know what to do about it because i'm already using a lot of lumens on the front, but when i am surrounded by cars i still blend in with them.

yesterday i was walking past an Infinity G37 with Xenon headlights and i realized that even with 2 X Seca 1700 and a Dosun D400 i am still not as bright as he is. so i knew i have a problem.

thankfully the solution was easy to figure out - i just need a strobe on the front. not switching my existing lights to strobe, but adding a smaller light on strobe, while keeping the main lights on solid. after thinking about it for 2 days i now think Dinotte 400L is the perfect light for that front strobe duty.

and then a few days ago i went out during the day and the sun was right over the horizon when i was coming home and the sun was big time in the eyes of drivers behind me and it was worrying me quite a bit - the sun was literally hanging above the road like a traffic light for several miles. yes i had my 400R, but i really was wishing at that time that my 400R was a Daytime Red ...

so i already wanted a 400L and a 400R Daytime Red, and i already have a 400R which brings us to this configuration whereby the L goes on the bar, the Daytime Red on the seatpost and Helmet Mount with the 400R on the helmet ...

but then the question becomes - what do you do with the Red Zone 8 which i was previously using on the helmet ?

well, my original wish was to get a pair of White Zone 10 and have a Red Zone 8 in the back and two White Zone 10 on the sides of the helmet for side visibility, but that was too expensive. Adding two new lights for side visibility was too expensive. and i already had good side visibility from Bike After Dark Fireball Mark 2 WHICH DIED THIS WEEK.

but with this new plan i could use my existing NiteFlux on one side and only need a new one on the other side of helmet.

and also with this plan i wouldn't need to be trying to sell my 400R which i am certain i would take a huge loss on selling.

and because 400R and 400R Daytime Red have Quick Release mounts i could always swap the regular 400R on the seatpost instead of Daytime Red if i wanted to be extra polite, and not use the helmet light.

hm ...

this whole fantasy of course hinges on being able to mount 400R on the helmet with 400L mount which i can't confirm if that's possible until monday ...

but what do you think ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Androgen needs to see a shrink. Somewhere deep inside his subconscious lie this fascination with lights. He's beyond an "enthusiast". It's mania.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    Androgen needs to see a shrink. Somewhere deep inside his subconscious lie this fascination with lights. He's beyond an "enthusiast". It's mania.
    OK this upgrade will need to wait, because no $.

i think this is the right way to go, but the wrong time to do it.

Purulento
    Aug 2009
    I cannot imagine myself carryng 1kg of helmet lights during a 3hour mtb night ride...

mtbr member
    OK this upgrade will need to wait, because no $.

i think this is the right way to go, but the wrong time to do it.

With this helmet mounted 400R there less control over the blinding of drivers, that you are so concerned about. More so than a static mount 400R Daytime I would guess.

mtbr member
    ....this whole fantasy of course hinges on being able to mount 400R on the helmet with 400L mount which i can't confirm if that's possible until monday ...

but what do you think ?
    Don't know why I'm bothering to respond to this because you're going to mount the 400R to your helmet anyway...

The 400R is designed to throw maximum amounts of light with a beam pattern that is more "Spot-ish" than anything else. To get the maximum benefit from the lamp it needs to be aimed at street level where it will be most useful. This isn't going to happen when helmet mounted because the head will move constantly back and forth, up and down. Yeah, it will still be bright as all hell but IMO a total waste of resources not to mention being a total head anchor.
    Mounted as intended to a seat post and it will be more visible from afar.

As far as rear mounted helmet lights go; Whatever you use will have limited usability because of head movement. Not saying you shouldn't have one on the helmet just saying that it might be better to use something smaller and lighter weight. I use a bright rear lamp on the seatpost and a Cygolite Hotshot on back of the helmet. I lose much of the effectiveness of the Hotshot being helmet mounted but I don't worry about that because I'm just using it to provide a little bit more light at a higher angle. Since I'm not relying on it as a primary light source it serves it's intended purpose well enough to satisfy me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you really need that much light when you ride, why not just ride your bike during the day? You'll also save $$$!
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    If you really need that much light when you ride, why not just ride your bike during the day? You'll also save $$$!
    why don't you try riding your bike in NYC during the rush hour, and then at 3AM in the morning and tell me which you prefer

1 AM to 4.30 AM is the time to ride ! ( on weekdays that is )

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Purulento View Post
    I cannot imagine myself carryng 1kg of helmet lights during a 3hour mtb night ride...
    Yes my 3600 lumen helmet light is 250 grams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by purulento View Post
    i cannot imagine myself carryng 1kg of helmet lights during a 3hour mtb night ride...
    htfu
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

I'm dying to see a picture of this.

J.

mtbr member
    I didn't have a chance to speak to Dinotte yet, but i decided to test the potential fit of the 400L so i installed my 400R on the bars, and aimed it straight forward to see how 400L would look mounted as a front blinky:

there doesn't appear to be any problem with the fit, and the mount looks decently strong relative to the weight of the light, however there was a huge problem in another area - the edge of the 400R glows super bright so i would never be able to use the 400R this way as it would be flashing in my face.

it's a good thing i did this test this way i can ask Dinotte if the 400L will have the same problem, or is the outer lens ring on the 400L opaque.

the 400R is upside down in this test but that's easy to fix - i would simply need to switch 400R and D400 places then Dinotte button will be on top and cable on the bottom as they should.

what makes it hard for me to contact Dinotte by phone is the fact that i sleep during the day and awake at night ...

Carbon & Ti rule
    In MTBing you tend to hit what you are looking at, whether you are looking at the gap or looking at the rock.

When driving a car I hope they don't hit you while trying to work out what planet you are from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    In MTBing you tend to hit what you are looking at, whether you are looking at the gap or looking at the rock.

When driving a car I hope they don't hit you while trying to work out what planet you are from.
    that's a valid concern. i try to design the setup to not only be conspicuous from all angles but also to be easily recognizable as a bike.

even so, the other night i was called "Alien" as i was riding ...

but yes i don't like the idea of having two blinkys close to each other because that would look confusing. i want each blink pattern to stand on each own, and i also like how both Dinotte and NiteFlux use bursts rather than continuous blinking - i think that gives it extra pop and crispness.

but the idea for the helmet is to try and mount the lights at right angles to each other so that from most angles one would overpower the others and it wouldn't look like a mush of all of them blinking randomly - well, that's the hope. in reality of course RZ8 has very wide spill, although it projects about 90% of its lumens through the front 180 degrees.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What about putting TWO 400L's on the handlebars? With the Dinotte 400R mount, I think it's possible to aim them 90 degrees to the side. Then there would be 400 lumens of side light and the front head light, or another 400L could be added to the handlebars aiming forward for a total of 4 lights on the bar based on this picture.

J.

loves me some carbon
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    What about putting TWO 400L's on the handlebars? With the Dinotte 400R mount, I think it's possible to aim them 90 degrees to the side. Then there would be 400 lumens of side light and the front head light, or another 400L could be added to the handlebars aiming forward for a total of 4 lights on the bar based on this picture.

J.
    Or he could just strap a Christmas tree to his back? He could put some water and tree nutrients in the spare main pocket of his 'tactical' fanny pack and wedge the base of the tree in there to keep it healthy?
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast