Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    Or he could just strap a Christmas tree to his back? He could put some water and tree nutrients in the spare main pocket of his 'tactical' fanny pack and wedge the base of the tree in there to keep it healthy?
    I like your idea. But it would only count if you had a string of battery operated LED lights on the tree. That solved, it would definitely meet the design criteria of "conspicuous from all angles...".

Any ideas on making the tree more aero?

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If people have personal beef with any members, how about just keeping it to yourself and moving on? Androgen might be on the extreme end of the light spectrum, but he makes a lot of valuable contributions to the bike lighting community here in his own unique way. I'd rather see someone over-do their lighting than some of the sorry excuse for lights that make up the other 99% of road cyclists I encounter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No personal beefs here. Just thought it was fun. No offense intended and if taken as such, I apologize.

Earlier in this thread, androgen had talked about a White Zone on each side of his helmet in addition to a helmet light. I have a Dinotte 400L and with all the mounting options, I thought it might be an option - that was not in jest and was intended to be helpful. Not what I would do, but it seemed to be in the spirit of what he was looking for and would replace the White zones on the side of the helmet with bar mounted lights. Lighter on the head and actually (IIRC) more lumens out the side. And definitely conspicuous.

J.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    With this helmet mounted 400R there less control over the blinding of drivers, that you are so concerned about. More so than a static mount 400R Daytime I would guess.
    Disagree. You have more control on a helmet mounted light than a handlebar mounted light. With a helmet mounted light, you just tilt your head slightly downwards to point the light to the ground. It's instant it's automatic.

You just have to be careful though because you might snap your neck from too much weight from the lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    Or he could just strap a Christmas tree to his back? He could put some water and tree nutrients in the spare main pocket of his 'tactical' fanny pack and wedge the base of the tree in there to keep it healthy?
    LOLOLOL that's funny

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I use a bright rear lamp on the seatpost and a Cygolite Hotshot on back of the helmet. I lose much of the effectiveness of the Hotshot being helmet mounted but I don't worry about that because I'm just using it to provide a little bit more light at a higher angle. Since I'm not relying on it as a primary light source it serves it's intended purpose well enough to satisfy me.
    who said anything about relying on helmet mounted 400R as a primary tail light ?

i said the primary tail light ( in this hypothetical scenario ) would be a seatpost mounted 400R Daytime Red. from what i was told by Dinotte it is brighter and narrower than regular 400R.

without a doubt 400R is not an ideal helmet tail light - if i used it at all that way, it would only be because i already have it, and if there was already a brighter light on the seatpost.

however i'm starting to think none of this is needed. i keep re-watching that video i took of myself to try and judge whether there are any blind spots so to speak in my coverage. it is hard to say of course because video has limitations and i can't see myself ride with my own eyes. of course i do look at myself reflecting on various surfaces but that doesn't tell me what i look like from the back.

probably wont be getting anything anytime soon. frankly i'm getting sick of it all myself - i just want to not think of any of it any more. it's fun at the beginning of this journey when you can do minimal research, spend a tiny bit of money and get a huge improvement, but once it gets to the point where you need to do hundreds of hours of research and spend money you don't have to replace one expensive light with another one and HOPE that what you have achieved is actually an upgrade - once it gets to that point you just don't want any part of it any more.

but then, i'm bipolar so i may feel this way now after having some breakfast ( breakfast was at 10 PM today ) but i may feel the opposite after a ride ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    ...but then, i'm bipolar so i may feel this way now after having some breakfast ( breakfast was at 10 PM today ) but i may feel the opposite after a ride ...
    I figured that out myself a couple weeks ago. Damn, perhaps I've missed my calling in life. Amazing how much you can learn by watching a couple episodes of House.

mtbr member
    I figured that out myself a couple weeks ago. Damn, perhaps I've missed my calling in life. Amazing how much you can learn by watching a couple episodes of House.
    ok sure enough i just came back from a ~ 25 mile ride across Brooklyn and Manhattan and sure enough, now that i'm pumped up i'm liking the idea of a blinky again

in fact now i'm thinking ~ 1500 lumen ( measured ) blink ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Or by staying in a Holiday Inn Express, for that matter.

J.

mtbr member
    OK ! so i finally got through to Dinotte and they answered all my questions.

first of all - YES - the 400R *IS* compatible with helmet mount, and in fact they will even sell you the helmet mount by itself - you don't to buy 400L to get it.

there is a downside however - in order to use the helmet mount you must remove the quick release mechanism and bolt the 400R to the helmet mount. so the option of swapping the light between helmet and seat post mount is out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2