Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oculus lights

14K views 123 replies 27 participants last post by  rockcrusher 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone have any experience with the Oculus light from Barry Beams? Seems like a tiny little company, but I can get a good price because of a race I'm doing.

Here's the link to their website:
O - Oculus Lighting

#55 · (Edited)
To Barry and Oculus

you really should move away from google drive and put all your
docs in standard format on your web site, perhaps as PDF's, and also
change up your cart and purchase mechanism

the reason ? big corporations IT dept are not all hippies from silicon valley using all the free and cheap crowd sourced IT stuff and cloud. security is a big deal, and any IT dept worth it's paycheck blocks access to all the google drive related stuff on your web site. Also, the ability to add an item to a cart is locked.
you are effectively blocking DOD, defense, government...etc.

sure someone can go home and use your site, but many companies don't really mind if employees use the corp net do to online purchases during moments of downtime. but google drive is gonna be chopped. therefore, your docs and other info is not available...net results : your site appears broken to a lot of people

Your web site is built around a partly crippled idea, using google docs and drive... and in 2017, no one doing real corp security allows access to google drive 'anything'

so what I am getting at, is if you make it easier to let potential customers view and buy from workplace, people who are behind corporate firewalls and filters, you might sell more of these or at least make the experience of looking at the specs and docs easier. It is impossible for any of my fellow 166,000 employees to use your site, unless they get off the corporate net and use their own.

just a tip you may not be aware of, but google drive is poison to open commerce.

Reactions: Klurejr
#85 ·
these recent comments on BB defunct kickstarter page reveal a lot...

a customer Dan is trying to take BB to court over a problem with paying for oculus light goods but not receiving them...

what a laugh and cry at same time
---
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/barrybeams/the-future-of-bike-lighting-by-barry-beams/comments

----snips----(there is more to read, this is the latest update)

Whew, what a day! tldr; Barry was forcibly thrown out of court for an angry outburst.
Barry showed up in court and immediately started yelling at me in the courtroom. After getting reprimanded by the clerk of court, he defended his actions by yelling "if murder were legal, I'd have killed him" -- in open court.
When the judge came in, he ordered Barry to keep it civil or else face contempt of court. Barry immediately accused me of perjury, in advance, before I said a word. The judge was not impressed.
Since this was a motion to vacate the prior judgement, and Barry was a no-show at that trial, the judge asked him why he didn't show up, and why he didn't ask for a postponement sooner than 10 days before trial. Barry stumbled through a series of excuses, blaming everyone from the clerk of court to the district commissioner for not getting his request in in time.
I don't think the judge bought it, but since we were both there and Barry agreed to proceed, he granted him a new trial on the spot.
I laid out my case. Once I explained what Kickstarter was, it was straightforward. I gave Barry Beams money. Barry Beams promised to give me a light in return. He never did, nor did he give me a refund. I don't think Barry really disputed any of the basic facts, and the judge didn't seem to think so either.
Barry kept interrupting and kept trying to correct the judge. At one point, the judge called Barry the most condescending person he'd ever encountered in his judicial career!
Barry spouted out his usual nonsense defences: KickStarter is not a store; there was no purchase; creators have the unilateral right to cancel orders without refund. He even accused me of doctoring the Terms of Use which I presented in court. None of it stuck.
Eventually, Barry lost it and start yelling at the judge about how I was trying to destroy his business. That's when the judge cut him off and ejected him from the courtroom. Unfortunately, that meant the trial was rescheduled for 3 weeks later.
Those are the facts. This all happened in open court.

---
another user:
I never got my light either, but after my small claims judgement I got a *nasty* phone message from Barry, threatening to sue me for libel among other things. Never happened. I do have a return date with Barry in court tomorrow, so once again wish me luck.

-----
Dan update
An update on my small claims case:
First, Barry refused to sign for the court papers sent via certified mail. I had to hire a process server to track him down and serve him.
Then, Barry filed a motion with the court trying to dismiss the case on technicalities. Regardless, the trial date is still set for August 23rd.
Once again, Barry is going out of his way to weasel out of any responsibility rather than do the right thing and refund our money. And to what end? To rub it in our faces that he tricked us into giving him money for nothing? That's he's unscrupulous enough to get away with it?

---
127.0.0.1 update: this is why it isn't worth my time anymore with this thing. 20 bucks will get you this thing, but you haveta review it here please !

Reactions: znomit
#2 ·
Look like pretty cool lights but the lumen output is way overrated. Kind of saddened by that. Cool to see something interesting coming out american made but there is no possible way to make those lumens in something that small thats 80% plastic. It would melt. Plus run times would be insanely short.

Definitely curious to see more about it though, they put a lot of thought into other points of the light.

#5 · (Edited)
That light is still a cool idea, a lot of thought went into it but seems after reading that link there has been a lot of shadiness behind the whole thing and his answers are very deflective when people ask for more detailed info.

I'll be watching to see if anyone that's a fellow light nerd gets one. Would shed some light on it (no pun intended)

Xp3 does come with a battery. All ituo lights do. There is an option of light head only for those that have batteries is all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Hmm, NASA, some basketball player, the website looks weird. Those optics are interesting, if simplistic, also seems like he tried a bit of an upper cutoff with that lip. 1800lm from this setup isn't unrealistic, but I wouldn't expect constant output and long battery life. The assembly also looks a bit wierd to me

#7 ·
Not crazy about the beam pattern. Looks like another basic ring around a circle.

Might as well buy cheap. Otherwise for a few $$ more and not much, many other better choices in my opinion. ANd some better cheaper options too. I'll bet my 950 boost (Lumina) is brighter and a better beam as well.

Just a hunch.

MB

#9 ·
I'll be renting the light anyways for my race, so if there's any info you all would be interested in, I can see what I can do.

The XP3 looks interesting, but pricey. How does it compare to the Light and Motion stuff? I'm also looking at the XP2, it would probably be sufficient for my needs, especially since I already have a 1400 lumen light from Nite Rider. I was also thinking of getting the Ituo light head and sourcing the battery elsewhere, but I don't know if that's really a better option.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

#12 · (Edited)
I would concur that you should use the battery packs and wiring supplied by ITUO. They have done a very good job of creating a product or shall I say a complete product. Sometimes we all try to save a few bucks trying to buy parts of something, in this case a lighting system. You could get a cheaper battery pack but you would not be getting a better battery pack for the money.

Regarding your question about light and motion products I can tell you they are good products with good performance however they are insanely overpriced for what you're getting. I would add that of the four light and motion lights that I bought, two of them have had to go in for warranty service with less than a month of use. On top of these issues the color of the light output is way too white causing washout and atmospheric reflection. Washout means there is less depth perception and atmospheric reflection means that even a small amount of mist or minor fog will cause the light to reflect back very easily. The ITUO guys use a more neutral color that means you can actually use tue light coming out.
I'll be renting the light anyways for my race, so if there's any info you all would be interested in, I can see what I can do.

The XP3 looks interesting, but pricey. How does it compare to the Light and Motion stuff? I'm also looking at the XP2, it would probably be sufficient for my needs, especially since I already have a 1400 lumen light from Nite Rider. I was also thinking of getting the Ituo light head and sourcing the battery elsewhere, but I don't know if that's really a better option.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Problem with sourcing other batteries isn't going to save that much money and you risk performance loss and have to deal with connector compatibility (not a big deal on that, basic common ones work ok).

Any packs that are substantially cheaper aren't going to be able to run the light as the cheap cells used in them have substantially less capacity and load capabilities. There is one decent offering out there (discussed in another thread) but the cost savings versus buying a full kit isn't much due to the savings versus buying the battery/charger separately.

Either light would do well. You may have an issue with the different tints to the lights though. Some do.

Just some thoughts for you there, probably not making the decisions any easier lol.

#11 ·
I have met Barry Burr at Interbike several times. The first time he was just trying to license his optic system to other light manufacturers. Each time things had moved a little farther along. 2 years ago he had a prototype of this light and was walking around showing it off and I think looking for some ooh ahh's from anyone that showed interest. He had a pretty impressive cutoff beam pattern that got better with each year. He was always very tight lipped about how it worked. I'm surprised the website doesn't make more of a point about it. It's not just "another basic ring around a circle"
I'll be interested if someone here tries one to see if it's as good a beam as I remember seeing.

#13 ·
Threads on Oculus come up from time to time. There's also Oculus Lights - Bike Forums
that started after the LA Times chose Oculus as their pick for best bike light in show from the last Interbike.
Critics and trolls abound on the internet. Some in bike lighting reccomend not to give the time of day to Candlepower Forums naysayers, and my first hand experience at trying to deal rationally with them confirms that.
Oculus optics are patented, so anyone can look up the overall geometric configuration by reading the patent.
The product has continually improved, up to now being _The go to light for top teams and competitors at RAAM, along with numerous advance orders for lighting sales and support at top 24 hour MTB races.
No one should believe idle internet speculation.
RACKC's comments seem to give him away as a troll who recently sent me baiting messages with similar defaming speculation and claims. When I wouldn't bite, and asked him to identify himself and give me a phone call, he didn't reply. I tend to trust the US Patent Office, NASA Ames' Research Labs, and the hundreds of riders who choose Oculus when the race or their neck bike commuting is on the line, for the actionable feedback that both verifies the credibility of the lights claims, and leads to further product improvements.
I enjoy talking lighting tech with respectful and knowledgeable people in the lighting industry. The disrespectful naysayers who try to sound like they know better when they have no first hand knowledge, show through for being just that.
Its also gratifying each time another customer extolls how their Oculus does light the road like no other light ever has before.
At this year's RAAM, I have a)the overall winner of of the Race Across the West, b)Alexandra Meixner - world female iron-man triathlon champion and record holder, c)Seana Hogan - ultra distance racing legend and many time RAAM winner and female record holder, and d) Legends of the Road, four famous former motorcycle and Indycar racers now racing bicycles - two are paraplegics crippled from career ending motorcycle crashes who are racing on handcycles custom crafted at six figure expense by Dan Gurney's race car fabrication shop with Shimano's direct technical assistance and custom programmed electronic shift specifically for the handcycle.
Last year I had the overall relay winner.
The key with lighting at RAAM is that everyone has a follow car with headlights on. But ever try to bike at night with only the light of headlights from the car behind? Racers on Oculus find greater downrange visibility, side visibility, reduced eyestrain and road fatigue, and increase contrast and depth perception over other lights they can choose and that any lighting company is more than happy to give them.
For solo racers, they can ride non-stop for longer periods of time with much longer burn times at brightnesses that would have required battery changes and separate battery packs before.
For relays, they go at full brightness with a self contained unit that's makes the crew's job easier too, and a battery that fully recharges before each racer's turn comes to ride again.
Feel free to inquire at Help@OculusLights.net, or call the office at the contact info listed on the O - Oculus Lighting website.

#14 ·
Not cool to have your first post calling ppl "trolls". And I have no idea of anything in which your referring to as trolling. Not my way. Im simply one of the resident light nerds that's doubting the situation because of the scarcity of any information. Beyond the few minutes spent on looking at links and such posted here Ive been off on other things. Haven't contacted anyone.

You having gone through all the effort of patented optics and such means you came up with something truly unique. Thats pretty sweet.

But the question remains, why all the secrecy behind the simple information. Run time, modes etc.

There is 100s of sites out there that have a similar feel making insane claims but nothing really to back it up. And a lot of CPF guys doubting things as well. But those are 99% of the time rebranded chinese junk lights. There is a few like TrailLed and such that have gone to the point of having pros in the cycling world that know lights well to do a review to avoid critics.

Excuse me for posting here being curious if there is anything to show truth to what your lights are supposed to do. Basic, common knowledge among led enthusiasts goes against you claims. Some real innovation is a welcome site these days. But why not share some info to prove yourself right and the critics wrong. Theres just alot about that light that bends or breaks the "rules" of an LED light.

Not like we're asking for explicit details, but an overview, runtimes, confirmed output modes, simple basics that are usually posted on the web pages/packaging for almost any light.

Best of luck with these, they look to be pretty nice lighting systems for small and self contained. Maybe at some point my "curiousity" will out weigh my reasoning and add another light to my collection.

#16 ·
Lol very true.

I never meant anything negative (except accusing me of i dont even know what) by my posts. Just curious to get more info and lost to the reasoning behind any info being so hard to find or not existing. Especially on something thats the culmination of someones vision to do something new and different.

#17 ·
The private email from a writer who refused my request to identify themselves or call me, and the public posting you made here state the same incorrect mental reverse engineering. In my previous line of work, there was a common saying we used for a certain type of caller, RTFM. If you asked what are the battery burn times for different settings, you would receive a reply directing you to the user guide section of the website, covering batteries and charging.
Instead you accused that information isn't available, that is available for anyone who looks, and that the light can't perform as it does only based on your erroneous mental reverse engineering, instead of buying and trying one.
This is the only reply I will make to you.
You come across that you're in the bottom 2% of potential customers who shold be avoided. I would rather that you don't buy an Oculus, because you will not be satisfied regardless with an item that is outside of the conventional wisdom that you feel all lights must work like, and forces you to change your view of what's possible. The typical 80th percentile that a small business with limited resources targets selling to are looking for both great performance and great value, in a product that they will want to show off and turn others on to, appreciate responsive customer service, and make comments and ask questions constructively.
Like any business, Oculus follows best practices for protecting trade secrets and company confidential information. We won't disclose information that would take away the competitive advantage over other brands. It would be foolish to tell you, for instance, exactly what the main body and reflective insert are made of and the processes used that make it possible to mold those complex shapes.

#18 · (Edited)
Actually i couldn't get the info to pull up from my phone which is why I asked.

Not sure why that Im asking about similar details to someone who trolled you on social media or whatever means im whoever that person is. Interestingly enough the same questions I wondered about here are asked in other places yet those ppl arent being accused.

Not a way to gain customers man. Simply some links, less of this "everyone is wrong but me (you)" responses would go a long way.

Im simply trying to help you out because it seems you stumbled on something. But you advertising your lights like its US vs Russia cold war era. You got a chance to go big even on one point, 26650 cells being used. Not many around especially in bike lights that offer that.

Sorry man, not sure what your deal is, but you really need to relax, have a beer, go for a ride or something. Your wound WAY TOO TIGHT [emoji12]

#19 ·
Just checked from an iPhone and android, and the Battery Specifications, Charging, and Usage section comes up just fine.
Same as my private message to your private email, you're welcome to meet for a test ride, buy a light so you can speak from firsthand experience, or stop posting idle slanders intended to defame a disruptive innovation that's superior to how any other bike light can both make the rider more visible to others and light up the road for the bicyclist to see more clearly than any other bike light beam can.
Do I have your permission to repost the private email that made the same uninformed claim as your public posting did using nearly the same wording, within a day of your public posting?
My best suggestion for you is to stop trying to sell your products by belittling your competition. Rather, extoll the virtues of your own product so that the customer will choose it as the clearly superior choice over any other. You might find that resellers who do take the risk on a new brand, are finding that customers love the Oculus, and the keystone markup gives the reseller a better deal than the big industry names too. That makes Oculus a win/win for both the customer and the reseller both.

#20 ·
Ok man, can only shake my head at that...

No where was i "slandering" anything on this thread. Please point out where this was done and if so, the lab test results proving it wrong.

And so the page was working for you, for me it requires a download. With all.the security issues out there from independent websites, i won't download anything onto my phone or computer from a site I can't verify.

Since this issue of yours has kept going, i did download it finally as I doubt your going to be trying to drop malware or anything on people. Advise, post that stuff on the product pages. People as a whole dont want to download an excel file just to check run times and other very basic info.

Funny thing being is your bashing me about competition when i could give a crap about that. Even given you Kudos multiple times (which seems you fail to read or choose to ignore). Bike light world is full of holes and yours is something thats helping prove the big brands are lacking behind in tech and performance. Innovation coming in the form of gimicky displays and such. Yours however brings innovation, not sure what's so hard to understand.

And a poster that is very local competition to me I have recommended publicly and via email because he can fill a requirement or a part we can't. He posted above.

As for emails or whatever, kind of asking the wrong person because their not mine. My personal email is via Gmail. Has been for as long as i can remember (think i had yahoo before that) Is that where the emails were sent from is a gmail email address? Was it sent from @rakcindustries.com or @ituolights.com????

You need to calm yourself and realize any thread about a new light will get a couple hundred hits or more in a day. You have a lot of critics out there.

Instead of picking a fight here and ruining your reputation, calm down and start actually having a constructive conversation here. You can gain some massive brand recognition and good customers from here. There is A LOT of guys here that simply collect lighting systems because they are intrigued and love riding after dark. And 1000s upon 1000s that visit here when they are looking for lighting systems.

MTBR is a valuable resource for everyone. Riders, dealers, and manufacturers alike. Take our questions and doubts as an opportunity to show the cycling world what your lights have to offer. Would do wondrous things for you since it seems youve ran into some serious hurdles over the years. Most of us here are here for the cycling world, not everyone is out to screw you.

#21 ·
You said "there is no possible way to make those lumens in something that small thats 80% plastic. It would melt. Plus run times would be insanely short." and "a lot of shadiness behind the whole thing".
Your posting misled another poster to ask "Is there a better choice around this price point?", when anyone who gets first hand experience at $150 up to $300+ lights knows that Oculus is the best choice.
I can laugh my original overly ambitious design goals, unrealistic time to market projections, and unrealistic cost targets from myself six years ago. A few years and enough money that I could have bought a house with later, this current third version, Oculus 1800, is being raced by some of the best ultra racers in the world, who are finding a definite advantage at night at RAAM despite having car headlights on behind them.
The performance and reliability exceeds anything I thought five years ago that could make it to market and still leave me (sometimes barely) with a roof over my head.
Since you're in the lighting sales business, and don't live nearby for a demo ride, why don't you get first hand experience instead of spreading inaccurate speculation? Buy a sample at reseller price, and decide if selling Oculus is a better deal for both customers and resellers than the brands you carry now.
What comes next? In two years since finally getting the current Oculus' optic all dialed in, I've taken on the holy grail of meeting the German STVZO specs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2LXQcJ2c2wWZkhQS0ZIWmQ4LXc
In the few months since recording that video, I've got it up to ~500 lumens and a 40+ lux B spot with not more than 2 lux H line. No other single LED STVZO light, comes close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.