Thread: Nothing fancy

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Nothing fancy

I am going to be getting my new 29er soon and want to get a light for it. I am not an off road rider but will be doing the trails to work and road rides. So really don't need a hardcore light system. With that said I need to be seen on the rail trail gravel base and the road so I dont get clipped.

I have been looking at simple battery operated lights and have narrowed down to the knogs and Cateye.

Can anyone suggest a particular one for me to look at. I like the knog bullfrog the cateye EL 130 and the cateye UNO.

I have over thought this way to much and now I can't make a decision. It's like trying to pick something to eat when you are starving.

Thanks so much

Lumen Guinea Pig
    Hey Bosco, imagine you'd be travelling pretty fast with a 29er. Even if you're not, the lights you shortlisted aren't bright enough. They are "be seen" lights, rather than "to see lights". On the road they may be ok, but out of the trails, well you'd struggle to see obstacles etc.

They don't have great runtime(on full power - not strobe) because they are AA or AAA based cells - which cost in the longer term. Hindsight is a beautiful thing - you may actually find you could have spent the money on a rechargable Li-ion battery set that will keep going for the next 2-3 years easy. Understand you want simplicity, but these are nothing fancy - just practical for what you need. My humble recommendations in the links below.

Action-LED-Lights — Magicshine MJ-858 400 lumen light set

Action-LED-Lights — Gemini Titan - lightweight and powerful LED light for bike, running, skiing, or anywhere hands free lighting is needed