mtbr member
    May 2013

not enough for night riding?

I've got an older collection of flashlights purchased between 2009 and 2012 with older LED tech (xp-g, sst-50, 1xml 4sevens mini123. I as a frequent visitor of candlepower forums). Comparing it to what I saw in department stores is seems like my stuff was WAY brighter than anything they had.

Then i visited this section of the forum and some video's look like it's the fire or police department on 2 wheels coming down the street.

My setup is so minimal I'm worried now. It's used at night while walking my dog on suburban streets only.

Lockblock on front handlebar with 4sevens mini 123 with AW123 rechargeable on medium and a super old 2006ish blackburn rear light with 5 red led's and 2 side amber led's.

Am I riding unsafe?
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    "Am I riding unsafe?"

I don't think other riders can answer that, only you can.
    Some folks ride 10mph on a bikepath while others maybe
    bombing down a hill at 30mph. I would think that the
    latter would/should have the brightest light(s) available.
    Me, I was using a P7 flashlight and a Planetbike Superflash
    for a few years. Just upgraded to a Hotshot for the rear
    and a 5 x XML(still in the box) for the front.

Night Rider shot in 1080p - YouTube

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    When riding at night, I use a Hotshot in the rear which is much brighter than a Planet Bike that I used to use and a 4 x Cree XM-L T6 with helmet light. I feel a lot safer using the helmet light because I can point in the direction of side traffic. Also, with having the additional light on the helmet, automobile drivers are not used to seeing a handlebar and helmet light combo. But as the other poster said, only you can decide if the current lights you use is/is not enough. I have seen lower lumen front lights in a blinking mode are pretty good in attracting attention from automobile drivers. I also use LED lights on my spokes just to be sure people see me from the side. My two cents worth on the subject.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty_vegas View Post
    I've got an older collection of flashlights purchased between 2009 and 2012 with older LED tech (xp-g, sst-50, 1xml 4sevens mini123. I as a frequent visitor of candlepower forums). Comparing it to what I saw in department stores is seems like my stuff was WAY brighter than anything they had.

Then i visited this section of the forum and some video's look like it's the fire or police department on 2 wheels coming down the street.

My setup is so minimal I'm worried now. It's used at night while walking my dog on suburban streets only.

Lockblock on front handlebar with 4sevens mini 123 with AW123 rechargeable on medium and a super old 2006ish blackburn rear light with 5 red led's and 2 side amber led's.

Am I riding unsafe?
    My 0.02 cents...you're probably fine. Half the people I see riding at night don't use any lights at all so at least you're better off than them. The lights you have likely give good "see me" lighting. If you feel you don't need any more light to see what's ahead of you than you should be fine.

Now with that said if you want to up the output on the front of your bike you don't have to spend an arm or a leg to get a brighter lamp. A Chinese made single ( or double ) XM-L lamp will cost you maybe $40 ( complete with rechargeable battery ) and give you fantastic ( I can really see! ) ability. You can always bring the XML mini for back-up which is always a good idea.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    i love headlights. Maybe I'll add that to compliment the mini123. gotta find a way to make my zebralight fit onto my helmet. or maybe it will fit on my forehead below my helmet?

Thanks guys for the peace of mind.

-Dirty
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock