Not enough lights...

Saw this beauty today..

I counted 10....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not enough lights...-aaaaa.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaveup
    Saw this beauty today..

I counted 10....
    This leads one to believe that the person who owns the bike; A) Does not know better lights are available. B) Has had a very close encounter with a 4 - 6 or 18 wheel vehicle.
    C) Knows there are better lights but just doesn't have the bucks ( note the bike ).

I'm thinking probably B + C.

This set-up makes me think of the guy that works at my local Wendy's restaurant. Sometimes I buy from the drive thru window where an old K-mart special MTB is chained up against a tree. Undoubtedly owned by one of the many Hispanic workers that work in the restaurant. Many a time I have seen a guy pedaling this old MTB down the local road ( 2 lanes each way ) with out ANY lights at all ( on an almost completely dark road ).

Anyway, I would love to give this guy a decent light. I think maybe this year I just might do that. So this is my plan: Use one of my older P-7 lights with battery...with an old DSD charger....and a torch bar mount. Include one of those DX Superflash clones for the rear...Put all that in a bag with instuctions in english and spanish and then go into the resturant before closing and find out who owns the bike.

What do you think...does this sound like a plan? Now I don't speak Spanish but what I wouldn't give to hear his exclamation when he turns a P-7 on for the first time!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    good idea.

it's also on my todo list, before I die, to equip one of those guys with lights.
    thinking, of a AA setup, since that's what they know.
    and like to wire in the tail light, to the front, so when they have light, they have a tail light.
    otherwise, they probably run out of power on the tail light first, since they would not charge it with the main battery.
    cheers, Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101
    good idea.

it's also on my todo list, before I die, to equip one of those guys with lights.
    thinking, of a AA setup, since that's what they know.
    and like to wire in the tail light, to the front, so when they have light, they have a tail light.
    otherwise, they probably run out of power on the tail light first, since they would not charge it with the main battery.
    cheers, Rob
    Well you could always throw in a batch of cheap AAA's but you make a good point. People tend to over-look their rear light. I see lots of people riding with the rear light barely working! Maybe this might be the better way to go > solar rear led. f ( maybe include a good reflector it they don't already have one )

GeoMan
    A Nathan's vest works really well too for overnight road rides and commuting on busy roads. Not the coolest looking but cars can see you from all sides and you are visible from a huge distance.

http://www.nathansports.com/our-prod...E2%80%99s-vest

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Well you could always throw in a batch of cheap AAA's but you make a good point. People tend to over-look their rear light. I see lots of people riding with the rear light barely working! Maybe this might be the better way to go > solar rear led. f ( maybe include a good reflector it they don't already have one )
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Gemini Industries
    Anyway, I would love to give this guy a decent light. I think maybe this year I just might do that. So this is my plan: Use one of my older P-7 lights with battery...with an old DSD charger....and a torch bar mount. Include one of those DX Superflash clones for the rear...Put all that in a bag with instuctions in english and spanish and then go into the resturant before closing and find out who owns the bike.

What do you think...does this sound like a plan? Now I don't speak Spanish but what I wouldn't give to hear his exclamation when he turns a P-7 on for the first time!
    Best message I have read all day. You could save a life. A million thumbs up

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I used to be on the bicycle advisory team in my city. They did a program to hand out helmets to workers and students riding their bikes to work. What they discovered is that the vast majority ended up being sold instead of used.

Just a heads up to temper expectations. You have to remember that this person may have never driven a car so they do not have the same perspective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    I used to be on the bicycle advisory team in my city. They did a program to hand out helmets to workers and students riding their bikes to work. What they discovered is that the vast majority ended up being sold instead of used.

Just a heads up to temper expectations. You have to remember that this person may have never driven a car so they do not have the same perspective.
    Yeah but that was helmets. Helmets carry the aura of being "bike geeky" as well as creating "helmet hair". On the other hand I've not met a man yet that hasn't oohed and aahed when he get's a nice P-7 torch in his hand for the first time. The only problem I see is that the torch might get loaned out to a friend and not returned. I've considered it might be better just to give out a cheaper light designed more for bike use. DX has lots of those as well. Just have to find one that is not a total POS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by gaveup
    Saw this beauty today..

I counted 10....
    Wow, congrats; now all one needs to go riding, is a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Yeah but helmets have many downsides. Lights really don't.

mtbr member
    Anybody that has that many lights on his bike already obviously has a fixation on lights and would be unlikely to turn around and sell the light. It looks like he's trying hard to get as much light as possible. Props to the idea of giving him a P7.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah but that was helmets. Helmets carry the aura of being "bike geeky" as well as creating "helmet hair". On the other hand I've not met a man yet that hasn't oohed and aahed when he get's a nice P-7 torch in his hand for the first time. The only problem I see is that the torch might get loaned out to a friend and not returned. I've considered it might be better just to give out a cheaper light designed more for bike use. DX has lots of those as well. Just have to find one that is not a total POS.
    For someone working at Wendy's, you may want to consider that the money from selling the light may be worth more to them than the light. I may be wrong though.

mtbr member
    For someone working at Wendy's, you may want to consider that the money from selling the light may be worth more to them than the light. I may be wrong though.

Yes there is always the chance that something like that could happen. That is why I suggested maybe a cheaper light. I also know that some of these guys like to ride against traffic ( on the wrong side of the road ). That being the case, it would not be a good idea to give someone like that a P-7 torch. Someone shining a P-7 at on-coming traffic would NOT be a good idea.

Moving on, most of the D/X bike lights are the mult-led variety and for the most part I consider these useless. Need at least 120lm for Pete sake. Maybe something like this. Pretty cheap and runs on a single AA

Just a couple nights ago I stopped by the late-night drive thru at Wendy's to get a salad. Didn't see the bike chained to the tree this time. Of course the last time I went to Wendy's was likely last year. Good chance Jose might not work there anymore.

mtbr member
    Yes there is always the chance that something like that could happen. That is why I suggested maybe a cheaper light. I also know that some of these guys like to ride against traffic ( on the wrong side of the road ). That being the case, it would not be a good idea to give someone like that a P-7 torch. Someone shining a P-7 at on-coming traffic would NOT be a good idea.

Moving on, most of the D/X bike lights are the mult-led variety and for the most part I consider these useless. Need at least 120lm for Pete sake. Maybe something like this. Pretty cheap and runs on a single AA

Just a couple nights ago I stopped by the late-night drive thru at Wendy's to get a salad. Didn't see the bike chained to the tree this time. Of course the last time I went to Wendy's was likely last year. Good chance Jose might not work there anymore.

Hey Cat-Man-Do, if you happen to see that guy again let me know. I have a demo Strykr Pro that I think would do the trick, we'd set him up with the whole system.

Shannon