mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Noob question bike light double as flashlight?

I'd like to know if there is a bike light that can be used like a flashlight too. I bought a magic shine 1400 from geoman (sorry he's out of business) 2 years ago and never really used. My teenage boys now want to try nite rides too, but since we may nitride 2xs a year. I can't justify the purchase. But we do camp often and could use good flash lite. I'm looking at the Cree lites on eBay but they only put off an alleged 600 lm. Prob more like 200. So we don't need to be booming down our favorite trail cause we do that in the day but just want to try it out. So is there a recommended flashlight such as Cree that doubles as flashlight that won't break the bank? Sorry about lengthy details and thanks for help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You can look at the Jetbeam ST Cycler which is a bit pricey though. There's a multitude of high-quality AA (or other battery) flashlights that will work though, from Fenix, Jetbeam, Nitecore, etc.. Look for one that isn't too tightly focused, which generally means you want small head diameter.

What you won't find (or at least I haven't) is any proper handlebar mount. There are the velcro/rubber ones which work but aren't at all ideal, and the giant Fenix one which is way too big, but I'm sure pretty sturdy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Also the new Xera flashlight. It's a little less expensive than the Jet and in my opinion a nicer looking unit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks guys. Those lights suggested are too much for my budget. I guess I will try the eBay Cree lights for $20 for now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
    Thanks guys. Those lights suggested are too much for my budget. I guess I will try the eBay Cree lights for $20 for now
    So what you want is basically a flashlight ( torch ) that can double as a bike light. You also mention that you want to be able to use this torch for camping/hiking. I think a good 3-mode XM-L based torch that can tail stand is something you can use. For hiking/Camping some low,low modes would be nice but since you will use for biking as well too many low modes would be tedious.

Here's a couple torches that will fit the 3-mode bill and tail stand. Both offer a medium beam pattern. These are smaller and fit well in a pocket. The down side is that they will heat up fast but if you only use high for short periods you will have no problem.

Citycat XM-L Comes in three color choices and gives you the option to choose the emitter bin as well.

Yezi Z1X Same small footprint as the Citycat. Choice of 3 mode ( H-M-L ) or 5 mode

Now if you want something a little more robust maybe something like this > LXP ( XM-L T-6 ) I don't own this one but wish I did. You get to choose the mode configuration, the driver output and the emitter tint....and it will tail stand.

If you need links to bar mounts just ask.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks CatManDo! Yeah I guess it would be easier for flashlight first then bike mount second. Thanks for the links and I will do more research on it.

mtbr member
    Exposure...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Exposure...
    You must have missed the part of the OP's post where he said he only night rides about twice a year and can't justify spending a lot of money on a bike light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    In my country this dealextreme.com is quite popular.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If you are looking for a quality light which can be used on a bike or off, have a look to my new thread
    Night cycling with the JETBEAM ST CYCLER XM-L T6

You can buy cheaper ones, but this one has been designed for cycling and as an Outdoor light. The other thing you tends to find in cheaper lights is they are not very well regulated and the run time does suffer, I have 3 lights from Jetbeams, two from the ST range and another small AA as an EDC, they are top quality, at the end of the day you generally get what you pay for!

SR59

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

a good mount option

Hello jbl_91762,

Yes, using some inexpensive LED flashlights with handlebar mounts is an easy solution, something such as this

We have several others that are cheap and would work too.

good luck!

~J