mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! No reviews on the REELIGHT?

Thinking about picking up two sets of the SL120, one for me, one for my girlfriend.

We would be using these as our primary lights for day/night riding through the lazy streets and bike paths of Austin, TX.

Any MTBR reviews would be amazing. I've read others from other sources, but I trust y'all.

Thanks and take care

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Had a look at website but couldn't help laughing "produces its own green energy" is pure marketing. Technically it's the rider producing the energy, just like every other dynamo

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    But have you ever ridden with a dynamo? They wear down sidewalls and they take extra effort, not too much, but it is noticeable, especially after 20+ miles one way.

I read an independent study by some physicist who purchased these, and he admits, the magnets provide some resistance against the wheel... the equivalent to a 1.5" elevation rise over 1-2 miles. Yeah, considerably better than a dynamo.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by EPeff View Post
    But have you ever ridden with a dynamo? They wear down sidewalls and they take extra effort, not too much, but it is noticeable, especially after 20+ miles one way.

I read an independent study by some physicist who purchased these, and he admits, the magnets provide some resistance against the wheel... the equivalent to a 1.5" elevation rise over 1-2 miles. Yeah, considerably better than a dynamo.
    Looks vaguely interesting from a safety perspective. I can't imagine they'd produce sufficient light for mountain biking. Buy some and give us a review! :-)

Personally, I have a hub dynamo and triple led combo. No extra sidewall wear, lots of light, and not too much resistance. On the other hand, my setup is quite expensive.
    baker

mtbr member
    I have the steady on ones on my commuter. They are OK. They do vibrate a little (annoying enough that I just run one magnet per wheel) and on the rear I had to mount them on the left away from the chain. I do run battery lights too.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    Had a look at website but couldn't help laughing "produces its own green energy" is pure marketing. Technically it's the rider producing the energy, just like every other dynamo
    If you really want to be a pedant, the energy is from the sun......well, we could actually go back to the Big Bang........

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Buying these tomorrow, I'll give a solid review since no one has yet.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks epeff - be good if your review included pictures that show how bright the lights are compared to others of a known brightness, eg planet bike blinky.

From what I have heard they are not particularly bright, but I would be happy to be proved wrong

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have SL-650. They are really not so bright as battery-based lights but i can see front and rear light more than 30 meters away (may be 50 meters?) through my Topeak Bar&Mirror at cloudy day.

The main disappointment that these lights stops immediately and has no afterglow for even 30 seconds (has no built-in accumulator). May be the next generation (SL-700 series) will do.

Sure i ordered additional magnets to get better results, but don't have comparison with standard packaging.

The system looks and feels solid and hard, only one point of weakness is the connection to the rear light. My friend's wire has been damaged by careless improper installation. I will try to solder it next few days.