Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    324

    NiteRider SlickRock 900 HID Light

    Just got it brand new for $100. Is it worth it? Should I keep it? This would be my first bike light. MagicShine looks great but I want to wait longer for more durability reviews. Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    909
    For a $100, yeh it's worth it!! Keep in mind though, that's what you will pay to replace the bulb.

  3. #3
    www.HSmtb.org
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    For a $100, yeh it's worth it!! Keep in mind though, that's what you will pay to replace the bulb.
    You'll be paying significantly for any replacement items from NR, including the battery. If I were in your shoes, I would just spend that money on a Magicshine. The cost is about the same and I would say that either one will do the job well. The difference will be when you have to replace the battery or parts. A Magicshine battery is about $50 while a typical NR battery is around $150.

    Chris

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scoutcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,991
    that lite is way better than a magic shine. for 100 bucks its a great deal, enjoy it until it breaks then get something else.

  5. #5
    www.HSmtb.org
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    that lite is way better than a magic shine. for 100 bucks its a great deal, enjoy it until it breaks then get something else.
    What makes it way better? I'm not trying to be difficult, as I'm genuinely curious. Their claimed lumens are the same. I know the actual lumens on the Magicshine are lower, but I have no doubt that NR plays the same game with their calculations. I consider HID and LED to be pretty good on the trail, so I don't really see any clear benefit there. The construction on the NR may be better, but even that is questionable, since there are tons of NR problems and Magicshine has had theirs, but they're pretty new. I have had my share of NRs (along with an HID model) and I currently have a Magicshine. I don't think the NR is a clearly better product in any way.

    In the end, when the original lights cost the same for about the same amount of light, you then have to look at the cost for keeping that light going, which would better with the magicshine.

    Chris

  6. #6
    discombobulated SuperModerator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,134
    Well in the unlikely event your HID goes off, it takes a few seconds to restart...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    324
    Thank you guys for your inputs. The price of the NR SlickRock is really nice, considering that the next cheapest price I've found is about $250. But it's the maintenance of the light that I'm worry about. The bulb is warranty for two years so that's great. But the battery is only covered for 6 months and it's pricey.

    Here's the replacement prices for the NR SlickRock: Thanks to Richie from NR for the quick reply.
    13.2v HID bulb #6612, msrp $139.99
    13.2v NiMH battery #6502, msrp $159.99

    I'll give it some more thoughts before I decide whether to keep it or not. But if I do decide to return it, I don't mind selling it to someone else for the same price that I got it for. I'll include the receipt for warranty purposes. However, I hate having to ship it. So if you're ever in Orange County (Southern California), I can hand it over. Thanks guys.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    380
    Based on James' beamshots, the Slickrock is significantly brighter than the Magicshine (which - despite its claim - is really only about 500-600 lumens):

    Tesla output (which is very similar to the Magicshine in both brightness and beam pattern):
    NiteRider SlickRock 900 HID Light-acid_tesla.jpg

    And the Slickrock:
    NiteRider SlickRock 900 HID Light-acid_slickrocka.jpg

    Apart from the noticeable halo pattern of the Slickrock it's a no-brainer IMHO.

    If you are concerned about the maintenance costs why not use the Niterider while it runs, then buy a Magicshine (which will probably be updated by that time) instead of a new NR battery...

    ps: for a 100 bucks the Slickrock is a steal, just let me know if you don't need it and I'll buy it for that price! ;-)

  9. #9
    www.HSmtb.org
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    Tesla output (which is very similar to the Magicshine in both brightness and beam pattern)
    It's not fair (or accurate) to make a comparison based on a similar light instead of the actual light itself.

    I don't think the OP can really go wrong either way though.

    Chris

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    909
    Confused Since the Tesla is actually brighter than the MS, this test is being complimantary towards it's output.Great beam comparison!!! re-confirms my opinion that for a $100 use the SlickRock.When it breaks,,,, go from there.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    754
    The 900 lumen rating on the slickrock comes directly from Welch Allyn the manufacturer of the HID bulb/ballast used in the light. It's actually a fairly accurate rating. Based on my my measurements, the slickrock 900 is significantly brighter than the magicshine. So, for the price the OP is quoting, it's a very good deal.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    The 900 lumen rating on the slickrock comes directly from Welch Allyn the manufacturer of the HID bulb/ballast used in the light. It's actually a fairly accurate rating. Based on my my measurements, the slickrock 900 is significantly brighter than the magicshine. So, for the price the OP is quoting, it's a very good deal.
    I myself have a MS,and would rate it in the 400 lumen range, that SlickRock however looks all of the advertised 900, based on the beamshots.That thing is bright!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scoutcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,991
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx
    What makes it way better? I'm not trying to be difficult, as I'm genuinely curious. Their claimed lumens are the same. I know the actual lumens on the Magicshine are lower, but I have no doubt that NR plays the same game with their calculations. I consider HID and LED to be pretty good on the trail, so I don't really see any clear benefit there. The construction on the NR may be better, but even that is questionable, since there are tons of NR problems and Magicshine has had theirs, but they're pretty new. I have had my share of NRs (along with an HID model) and I currently have a Magicshine. I don't think the NR is a clearly better product in any way.

    In the end, when the original lights cost the same for about the same amount of light, you then have to look at the cost for keeping that light going, which would better with the magicshine.

    Chris

    i've used both. the niterider has a level fit and finish far above the magicshine. its brighter despite being advertised as having similar lumens. the light is whiter. the downside of the niterider is probably weight and cost of replacement batteries/bulbs. many prefer the color and brightness of hid but its a little too hot and is power hungry.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deano machineo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    171
    Is there an hour rating on the bulbs? I have a NR Rage HID that I have had for several years and the bulb is still burnin and amazingly the battery still lasts for 3 hours.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    324
    Update: I've decided to return the light since I'm building a new bike. As of now, I'd rather use the $100 toward the build. Thank you guys for the help and suggestions.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deano machineo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    171
    Where can I buy a slickrock for 100$??

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •