Eleven - it's one louder

NiteRider MiNewt or SolMate for helmet?

Looking to get into some night trail riding in the AZ desert since the days are getting too hot! I had a NiteRider light years ago that I liked but lost the battery pack. I have a cheapo $40 Cateye light on the handlebars and want to put a better light on my helmet. Hoping I can get by with that combo but can always upgrade the handlebar light later. I'm seeing the MiNewt Mini-USB Plus LED Headlight w/Li-Ion battery ($115) and the SolMate LED Headlight w/NiMH battery ($120).

What's the difference? One clearly a better choice? I don't know much about battery technology and which type performs better in what conditions, but I know that I ride in the desert so it won't be cold and it won't be wet! I probably won't be out more than 3 hours at a time, but you never know what kind of trouble you might run into so longer battery life would of course be a plus. Any other helmet-mounted options I should be considering in this price range?

Thanks,
    BBC
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Magicshine 900 from Geomangear.
    Then order the helmet mount off the same site.
    The other lights you listed might be OK for off road, but they really put out a tiny bit of light by modern standards.

GeoMan
    Thanks for the mention odtexas, let us know if we can help you out Conrad, we have been running plenty of our lights down in Southern AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Magicshine 900 from Geomangear.
    Then order the helmet mount off the same site.
    The other lights you listed might be OK for off road, but they really put out a tiny bit of light by modern standards.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadConrad
    Looking to get into some night trail riding in the AZ desert since the days are getting too hot! I had a NiteRider light years ago that I liked but lost the battery pack. I have a cheapo $40 Cateye light on the handlebars and want to put a better light on my helmet. Hoping I can get by with that combo but can always upgrade the handlebar light later. I'm seeing the MiNewt Mini-USB Plus LED Headlight w/Li-Ion battery ($115) and the SolMate LED Headlight w/NiMH battery ($120).

What's the difference? One clearly a better choice? I don't know much about battery technology and which type performs better in what conditions, but I know that I ride in the desert so it won't be cold and it won't be wet! I probably won't be out more than 3 hours at a time, but you never know what kind of trouble you might run into so longer battery life would of course be a plus. Any other helmet-mounted options I should be considering in this price range?

Thanks,
    BBC
    BBC, this may interest you. I found it on a non light related mtbr forum: Lights.

Eleven - it's one louder
    Got a NiteRider Sol for $80 and was able to use an older helmet mount I had with it. The whole setup is pretty small and light, even with the old-tech NiMH battery. Charging now, and tonight I'll see if it throws enough light for my liking. I considered the Magic Shines, and have seen several posts that say they are the best bang-for-your-buck. To be honest, It's a rule of thumb of mine that I am not comfortable spending more than $100 with a company that lists no physical address, phone number or even email address on its website. I'm glad to read that their customer support is good, but it's just a light, it should work without the need for a lot of customer support! That said, if the Sol does not impress, I will still be looking...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Eleven - it's one louder
    The Sol was awesome in initial testing. We'll see how it does on the Pemberton Trail tomorrow night!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Bright lights

You could always try the Magicshine 1400 if you need more light