Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Niterider Lumina 650

Checking to see if anyone has the new Niterider Lumina 650? It looks to have replaced the Minewt 600. They claim it is smaller, lighter, more lumens and cheaper.

Anyone have any hands on experience with it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I purchased a Luminia 650 for $118 shipped. It comes with a bar and helmet mount. I think it is an excellent light, I bought it to replace a 1st gen Minewt that I have had since 2007. That light was was getting long in tooth and although it had an upgraded LED from a warranty service a few years ago, I decided it was time for an upgrade. The 650 is bright, I have been using the low setting on the street and rail trails and it is more than bright enough. I haven't used it on single track yet. The bar mount is solid, much better than the o-rings from the the older minewt series. The USB charging set up is great, I've been using an iPhone charging brick and it works perfectly. For less than a buck twenty and two mounting options included, I don't think you can go wrong. I don't have any experience with the cordless minewt's mounts but the lumina's seem very stable and is easy to switch from bike to bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thank you for the information. Looks like I will have to check it out. I was planning on getting the minewt 600 until I saw the new lumina. Wouldn't make sense to get the minewt anymore, since the lumina is cheaper and seems like an all around better light

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm using a 650 myself. It's fantastic throws a ton of light in a very wide pattern.

I almost always run in low mode because the higher modes are just overkill even on dark dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Looking at this light as well, would be my primary light and used with helmet mount. Just got a cygolite 350 for my bars and love being cordless. This would replace my MagicShine. Anyone have experience with using the helmet mount or how it performs on singletrack.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've got no complaints about the helmet mount. I have it fastened to my 661 comp full face helmet and it throws light 1/4 of a mile from the top of your head

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm deciding between one of the Luminas and one of the Cygolite Expilions, haven't decide how much power I need yet but both series' of lights seem pretty similar both in features as well as price. Would anyone recommend one over the other?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've had both.. the Expilion doesnt produce a beam anywhere near as wide and even as the Lumina ... luckily I bought the expliion from Amazon who refunded my full cost including shipping !

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Picked up one yesterday to ride around the streets at night. My wife kept thinking a car was coming up behind her, lol. Very bright, good clamp system, easily recharged off my laptop, and very light. Ridiculously bright... only needed the low setting to ride around with. (You could probably even get away with the "walk" setting).

The only thing I noticed is that the metal casing will get warm if you leave it on high, but it is cooling down enough outside now that I dont think it will be a problem. That is the best heatsink I have seen on a light though.
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

mtbr member
    I had to return my MiNewt500 because it was not working properly. I am now looking into the Lumina as well. My buddy just got a Lumina 500 and it is pretty bright.

I cant decide between the 500 or 650!!!! $30 difference.
    What did you put in that sandwich?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    looks like a pretty solid light, it doesn't seem to have a replaceable battery though, does it? that would be a deal breaker for me, i always carry a spare battery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Chrisaz82 - what expilion did you have? I see they now recently released the 700... wondering if that is the one you had, or if it was the 500?

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Here is an interesting/odd fact: If you place one of these too close to your Cat Eye wireless computer, the computer stops working.
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have been using the Lumina 650 for about a month. No single track but night path rides. I have an extra mount on my road bike too. In a group with other riders who had purchased the lower lumen versions of the Lumina, my light was significantly brighter even on the low setting. I typically ride with it on low. 3 hours rides are never an issue for duration. It has saved me on a couple of occasions from head-on collisions with other riders too stupid to ride at night with a light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone ever consider two of these lights? One for the bar and one for the helmet? Or just get one and a smaller lumen for the second light?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just got the lumina 650. It's my first bike light and I'm very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have the 650 on my helmet and ordered another for the handlebars. I feel like that will be a perfect combo for under $250. I'll give an update after I try it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecializedJim View Post
    Anyone ever consider two of these lights? One for the bar and one for the helmet? Or just get one and a smaller lumen for the second light?
    Jim,
    I have purchased two of the Lumina 650's,,,using one on the helmet and one on the bar,,I am very pleased with the combination as a whole as well as the units individually. The lights have very usefull beam pattern with a strong center and then a decent fill on the outside. I feel that the benefit of using the two lights has amany advantages,, those being: I am able to aim the lights at different distances down the trail based on terrain allowing good coverage close or far,,run one light or the other on different settings to extend run times,, leave one light off for emergency back-up,,loan one to a riding companion if they experience light issues(which has happened 6 out of the last 8 rides),,and the biggest benefit is the cordless design

side note: I am adding the following to allow for reference

I have used Light and Motion Arc's for the past 5 years and had been very pleased with them. I had one on the helmet and one on the bar. The Lumina eclipses these units in power and simplicity,, but not run time.

I currently also have and use a Lupine Betty 1850 lumen which is an absolute Beast of a light,, I use this light when I'm not concerned about battery weight or if I'm riding an unfamiliar trail system and want to light up the entire forest, so I don't miss seeing a single twig or rock in the trail,,,it also helps see Bear from a long way off!!!!

hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMP0323 View Post
    I had to return my MiNewt500 because it was not working properly. I am now looking into the Lumina as well. My buddy just got a Lumina 500 and it is pretty bright.

I cant decide between the 500 or 650!!!! $30 difference.
    The 650 comes with the helmet mount and bar mount. The 500 and 350 ship with just the bar mount.

mtbr member
    I picked up a 650 for bar mount since i have a helmet mount spot and the combo is awesome. I went for my first night ride in 10 years last night and could not have enjoyed it more! the lumina 650 is well worth the money.
    MisFitPsycles DiSSent, ALc
    Rocky Mountain Altitude Rally
    Surly Puglsey
    Masi Gran Corsa

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the info, I just ordered one of these tonight to see how I like it and will probably end up getting a second one shortly after.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I picked one up off amazon 119 shipped and will have it next week. I am pumped to night ride ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Not a great camera but this is a Lumina 650 on my helmet and a 17 lumen cheap light on my handle bars.

Team Livemedium
    Just trying out the girlfriends for a couple ride. Switch turned red and was stuck in low mode after about an hour.
    also need to jiggle the plug to get it to charge.
    wondering if I can bring a usb battery bank like this

to double my run time.

seems they could have used a bigger battery. my neck can support alot of weight.

will keep testing
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Have any of you sed both the Niterider 650 and the CygoLite Expilion 700 USB? I'm considering both and trying to decide between them without trying either out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast