Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Oh and as you can tell, I'm only interested in a single light that is light, powerful and mountable on both my helmet and bike.

Team Livemedium
    Any more updates folks? Does runtime improve after 5 or 6 battery cycles? I kind of want to pull the trigger on one for me. Thanks
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    a little over an hour is all I ever get on FULL bright.

However, on it's lowest setting (250 lumens) I've never had it even indicate low battery after 4 hours of runtime

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    Any more updates folks? Does runtime improve after 5 or 6 battery cycles? I kind of want to pull the trigger on one for me. Thanks
    I just got mine a few days ago, Ill try to do a runtime test tonight....

mtbr member

2013 niterider lumina 650

So here is what I found with my runtime test after a full charge and using high beam

According to the user manual:
    LOW BATTERY INDICATOR
    With approximately 15 - 20% battery capacity remaining, the indicator LED on the headlamp will turn from blue to red.

RESERVE MODE
    Reserve Mode will automatically shift your light to low beam when the battery is very low and about to cut off. Once reserve mode starts you will only be able to use Low Beam, Flash Mode and Walking Mode. High Beam and Medium Beam will be disabled.

at 1 hour 17 minutes the indicator turned red

at 1 hour 23 minutes it switched to low beam

I have yet to use the light while actually riding

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did my first night ride ever tonight. My setup is 2 Lumina 650's. One on the bar, one on the helmet. I chose these lights because of the positive reviews and I had my eye on the MiniNewt last year. With the increased light output and lower cost of the Lumina it was a no brainer to finally pull the trigger.

The Good: The lights are definitely bright. It was actually brighter than I had anticipated. I rode the firelanes in "low" and the technical singletrack in "high". Excellent visibility in terms of brightness, throw and beam width. Later, I still got very good visibility with just the helmet light set on "medium" riding on technical singletrack (more on that later).

The Bad: While making a small climb over some roots & leaves, I lost momentum and slipped forward toward the bars. I can honestly say that my body BARELY touch the light, but the light unit slipped off of the bar mount and onto the ground. Fair enough, I put the light back on and continued my ride. It stayed put for the next 30 minutes, but as I went down a technical downhill, the light fell off on its own. Not only did it fall off, but it fell off right over my tire and I ran over it. I thought perhaps that I was possibly riding too aggressive, even though I really wasn't, so I slow rode it down the rest of the hill. Didn't matter, the light fell off again. This time I put the bar light away and did the rest of my ride with the helmet light set on "medium" as I didn't want to risk running out of battery power.

The Ugly: Nothing really. I'm pleased with how the lights performed. Not happy about the bar mount. I am going to swap the other bar mount on to see if maybe I just got a bad one.

Overall: As I said above, I'm very pleased with the performance of the lights except for the one bar mount. I will update this regarding that situation. While riding with only the helmet light set on "medium", I was very impressed with how well I could still see the technical singletrack. I wouldn't recommend riding with a single light because, while you will get plenty of brightness, you can't get the same throw since you will be aiming the light lower to compensate for no bar lights. Also, riding with one light is just not a good idea in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post

The Bad: While making a small climb over some roots & leaves, I lost momentum and slipped forward toward the bars. I can honestly say that my body BARELY touch the light, but the light unit slipped off of the bar mount and onto the ground. Fair enough, I put the light back on and continued my ride. It stayed put for the next 30 minutes, but as I went down a technical downhill, the light fell off on its own. Not only did it fall off, but it fell off right over my tire and I ran over it. I thought perhaps that I was possibly riding too aggressive, even though I really wasn't, so I slow rode it down the rest of the hill. Didn't matter, the light fell off again. This time I put the bar light away and did the rest of my ride with the helmet light set on "medium" as I didn't want to risk running out of battery power.
    Good write up

I had my own suspicions about the security of the quick release mounts, your own experience confirms my suspicion. I have safety wire and pliers that ive used for securing motorcycle bolts. I may have to drill a small hole in the rail and do a little safety wiring for an upcoming 12 hour race to prevent this from occurring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Oh, and here is a pic of the lights in action. In this pic I had the bar light on "medium" and the helmet light "high", but I had the helmet light aimed lower than I would ride at (I obviously didn't plan well). It really does look brighter in person and certainly is brighter when you have both set on "high" and aimed properly.

Team Livemedium
    yeah whats up with that? a claimed 1:30 on high

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    yeah whats up with that? a claimed 1:30 on high
    Not sure what your question is in regards to? The run time seems reasonable considering the size and (low) weight of the unit. I just try to be extra cautious about not running it in "high" all the time. Honestly, when you see the beam that it produces, riding in "high" for me is only preferable for fast, technical singletrack. I'm more likely to use the "medium" setting for most of the singletrack trails I ride on and "low" for the firelanes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just trying out the girlfriends for a couple ride. Switch turned red and was stuck in low mode after about an hour.
    also need to jiggle the plug to get it to charge.
    wondering if I can bring a usb battery bank like this

to double my run time.

seems they could have used a bigger battery. my neck can support alot of weight.

will keep testing
    I'd be curious about this too. I have a lezyne 450 & the light well not turn on when charging... So no usb battery backup while riding for that one. But if it works on the niterider... I'd be tempted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

No good

This light wont turn on when charging

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    Just trying out the girlfriends for a couple ride. Switch turned red and was stuck in low mode after about an hour.
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/11200mAh-USB-Mobile-Power-Bank-External-Battery-Charger-iPhone-iPad-iPod-HTC-/00/s/NDUzWDQ5OA==/$%28KGrHqV,!qcE-+Z5gs8nBP3YmDILig~~60_35.JPG
    to double my run time.

seems they could have used a bigger battery. my neck can support alot of weight.

will keep testing
    I'm a little confused by the last couple posts. I was under the understanding that the Lumina 650 uses replaceable 18650 cells in the lamp that you can switch out at will . If you need longer run time just bring more 18650 cells along and you can ride as long as you want.

After looking at the Niterider website though and looking over the instructions for the 650 there are no instructions for switching out the battery. That being the case it doesn't look like the battery is designed to be easily accessible ( although it does say the battery is replaceable ). As nice as this light looks that would be a major design flaw if you aren't able to "easily" switch out the battery on a ride. Quick battery switch-out is a must have feature on a single cell self-contained lamp if you ride over 1.5 hr. ( Which most people will do in a heart beat ).

Nope, if I was considering one of these that would be the deal breaker. I'd likely start looking at the Cygolite Expilion 700.

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    I have the Lumina 650 as well and it has been working really well. I have not had the problem with the mount that was mentioned above. My burn time has been spot on and i have been using the light for about 4 months now. My only real complaint is that the actual handlebar mount is too bulky but otherwise this light has proven durable and reliable.

Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Not sure what your question is in regards to? The run time seems reasonable considering the size and (low) weight of the unit. I just try to be extra cautious about not running it in "high" all the time. Honestly, when you see the beam that it produces, riding in "high" for me is only preferable for fast, technical singletrack. I'm more likely to use the "medium" setting for most of the singletrack trails I ride on and "low" for the firelanes.
    My training loop trail takes 1 hr 15 mn to do a lap and now I'm adding in 9 miles there and back, another trail system takes 3 hours so 1:30 seems too little. The battery in my buddies lumina 600 before the 650 came out had a bigger battery inside, so they shrunk down size and weight at the expense of runtimes. His 600 can do 2 plus hours on a charge.

ballbuster

Cool!

to double my run time.

will keep testing
    That works, eh? I have a couple of external batteries around the house. Nice to know this is something I can do to get longer runtimes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I thought I'd chime back in. I started this thread looking for some info on the Lumina 650. I ended up purchasing a Cygolite Expilion 700, mainly because the batteries are removeable, but also because the beam shots I saw on two separate sites looked better to me.
    PerformanceBike - bikes, bike accessories, bike gear, cycling equipment, cycling apparel, and more

NiteRider Lumina 650 LED Headlight - Normal Shipping Ground

Bicycle Light Comparison Guide - ModernBIKE.com

I am sure the lumina is a great light, but I really liked the idea of be able to change a battery on the fly if I'm out for a long ride. The mounting system for the expilion is fantastic (it comes with helmet and bar mount). You probably can't go wrong with either light, but I am happy with the choice I made

Viva la Vida!
    What is the average running time you get out of a fully charge battery?
    Mine doesn't even last half of what the MiNewt 600 and the MiNewt 200 do.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've only used it a couple of rides so far... But it seems to live up to their claims. I rode the other night for 2 hours on high (not boost) when it was 30 degrees Fahrenheit.. and it didn't lose brightness at all. I left it on boost (highest setting) in the parking lot for another 20 minutes while I was packing stuff up and drinking a beer, and again no loss in brightness and no flashing from the indicator that it was low. Normally batteries die quicker when it is cold out. So I'm sure if its lasting this long in the cold it should be as good if not longer in warmer temps

Jaymanjibe
    Nov 2012
    I also bought 2 of the Lumina 650's. I use one on the bars and one on the helmet. I leave both lights on Medium and usually do 1.5 to 2 hr rides on local single track. No problems so far and lot's of light. I have done about 6 or 7 rides so far this fall. They are working great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2