mtbr member

Niterider or gloworm?

So I found a real good deal on a niterider pro 1800. We used to have nothing but niterider in the past and they treated us good but we stopped riding at night. I want to start again and can get the 1800 for less than $200. But I like the options of the gloworm stuff like changing optics, batteries, light color. So what do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    So I found a real good deal on a niterider pro 1800. We used to have nothing but niterider in the past and they treated us good but we stopped riding at night. I want to start again and can get the 1800 for less than $200. But I like the options of the gloworm stuff like changing optics, batteries, light color. So what do you guys think?

Not sure which model of NR 1800 (race or endure) or Gloworm (X2 or XS) your are asking about. While I've owned Niteriders in the past their weight and "expensive proprietary battery's" + connection system are things that would eliminate them from consideration for me. I would also consider Ituo lights as a another option.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Sorry it is the pro race light. I'm not sure which gloworm yet. I was thinking X2 to start but for the price I can get the NR stuff I can get the light and a helmet light lumina 950 boost for about 260. I figured worst case it would be a start and I could move the race light to my helmet and buy the XS later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    While I've owned Niteriders in the past their weight and "expensive proprietary battery's" + connection system are things that would eliminate them from consideration for me. Mole
    What he said.

ps: wanna buy my trinewt?

mtbr member
    Sorry it is the pro race light. I'm not sure which gloworm yet. I was thinking X2 to start but for the price I can get the NR stuff I can get the light and a helmet light lumina 950 boost for about 260. I figured worst case it would be a start and I could move the race light to my helmet and buy the XS later.

Thanks for the details on the Niteriders your looking at. Considering the retail prices on those you definitely would be getting a good deal but probably still not the best/most light for your money. At the moment "Action-LED-Lights" has refurbished X2 & XS lights that come with a 1 yr. warranty for pretty cheap. Depending on the batteries you purchased you should be able to get and X2 + XS for a similar amount to what you were going to pay for the Niteriders and have 4000 lumens total + remote switches + changeable optics + programmable mode output levels + a separate commuter mode with a programmable high and low setting and a setup that's a lot lighter (important of helmet use). Here's a link to the XS.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...nt=36731987026

Here's another link to Ituo's XP3 which is very similar the Gloworm XS.

https://www.ituolights.com/collectio...c-battery-pack

Not sure about your riding habits but the runtimes for the Niteriders you mentioned are pretty short (1:30 for the 1800 on high and only 40 min. for the Lumina).
    Mole

mtbr member
    I was looking at refurbished but they are all sold out. Looks like I have some thinking to do...

mtbr member
    I was looking at refurbished but they are all sold out. Looks like I have some thinking to do...

Here's something Jim posted in the Gloworm referbished thread. I'm sure if you contact him He'll be able to let you know when some are available.
    Mole

I've been putting lights up on the site as we get them rebuilt. If they show out of stock check back. There should be more soon.

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    I was thinking X2 to start but for the price I can get the NR stuff I can get the light and a helmet light lumina 950 boost for about 260
    Having just slammed NR I'll say that the Lumina 950 is a decent self contained with USB charging, now $46 at Amazon, I bought one for guests and getting back and forth to the trailhead..

Amazon: NiteRider Lumina 950 Boost Bike

mtbr member
    Honestly for the prices I see and as often I plan to use them I think the NR stuff will be hard to beat. If I knew I would ride a lot I'd just drop 500 on an XS and X2 combo. The gloworm stuff looks awesome. But getting out riding for half the price is very tempting.

mtbr member

Niterider or gloworm?

I could't pass up the deal on amazon and bought two pro race 1400's for $156 a piece. The 1400 has a 2 hour run time on high and 3:45 at 850 lumens. If I went gloworm x2 I would have spent almost 150 more getting two like I did. If I knew I was gonna ride a lot I would do the X2/XS combo. Worst case I will give them to my dad and upgrade if they don't cut it. But I'm sure they will be fine. We have had good luck with NR for a lot of years.

mtbr member
    I could't pass up the deal on amazon and bought two pro race 1400's for $156 a piece. The 1400 has a 2 hour run time on high and 3:45 at 850 lumens. If I went gloworm x2 I would have spent almost 150 more getting two like I did. If I knew I was gonna ride a lot I would do the X2/XS combo. Worst case I will give them to my dad and upgrade if they don't cut it. But I'm sure they will be fine. We have had good luck with NR for a lot of years.

Congrats!! I like that combo much better than the 1800/950Lumina you were originally looking at. Should be a much better balanced light system with longer runtimes. Good Job!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Thanks! I didn't see the 1400 originally so when I saw them I couldn't pass those up. Im pretty excited to try them out. I liked the idea of small and no cord on the helmet but I feel it will be worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    And if you ever have a problem with the NiteRider lights, the customer service is excellent.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount3 View Post
    And if you ever have a problem with the NiteRider lights, the customer service is excellent.
    Hope they are better now. In the past, CS was not so hot. Problems with 2 of my 4 NR halogen sets (~$1200 worth of lights!) is what prompted me to start building my own lights.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    I know they have treated us well in the past and when I called about the HID light that's out they offered to send a new bulb out those lights were bought in 02. I got them in already and getting them charged as they were completely dead. Going to play with them and take some pictures tonight.

mtbr member
    I know they have treated us well in the past and when I called about the HID light that's out they offered to send a new bulb out those lights were bought in 02. I got them in already and getting them charged as they were completely dead. Going to play with them and take some pictures tonight.

I probably being an alarmist about this but considering the price of NR batteries I think it's worth mentioning. Generally it's not considered good to store batteries dead or in a very low charged state. Were these new or used lights? Either way if they discharge quickly or don't have the runtime you expect they may not be in perfect condition. My battery knowledge is limited but if things don't seem right you can post questions in the "Battery thread" and someone should be able to tell you how to test the batteries with a multi-meter.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Yeah I am concerned about that too. They were new but I think old stock. They charged and hoping to test them out soon to make sure that they last. They have a 180 day warranty in batteries so I have some time.

mtbr member
    Yeah I am concerned about that too. They were new but I think old stock. They charged and hoping to test them out soon to make sure that they last. They have a 180 day warranty in batteries so I have some time.