mtbr member

NiteRider Firestorm HID Bulb?

Can somebody confirm that this bulb will fit my 2006 NR Firestrom. I need to limp this light along just a little bit longer. Looks like it will work to me.

Welch Allyn HID Replacement Bulb
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes, that bulb will fit, but your light came with the 13 degree version and they only seem to have the 6 degree version now. I've ordered the 13 degree bulb from batteryspace in the past, so you may want to call them and see if they have some even though that option is not shown on the site. I've used both and the almost everyone prefers the 13 degree. The 6 degree is very tight.

How do you know the bulb is the problem. If you dropped the light and that's what broke it, then it almost certainly is the bulb. If the light just quit working without being dropped then my experience is it's the bulb about 60% of the time, but about 40% of the time the ballast has failed. Only easy way to figure out which one is to have a bulb you can try temporarily. Do you have a really good friend that'll let you take their HID light apart to try the bulb?

mtbr member
    I agree with MtbMacgyver, that is the correct bulb, and I agree that the 6 degree bulb is a very tight beam pattern. He's also correct that it could definitely be the ballast as well, tough call. I worked at NR for many years (still love them, great people) and the HID systems are/were great but they could be cantankerous at times.

Shannon

mtbr member
    I dropped it, so I'm pretty sure it's the bulb. I have way to much experience with this.

I did notice it is the 6 deg bulb. The light gets used 99% of the time on the road vs the trail. Thoughts on 6 deg vs 13 deg on the road over trail?

mtbr member
    The 6 degree bulb might actually be a little better out on the road actually. You'll probably like it for faster riding, you won't be able to outrun it as easily.

mtbr member
    Will this Welch Allen bulb work with the RAGE HID too?

mtbr member
    NiteRider Rage HID correct? It should, I would give them a call to make absolutely sure though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by deano machineo
    Will this Welch Allen bulb work with the RAGE HID too?
    Yes.

Welch Allyn is the OEM for all the bike light HID bulbs and ballast. It's just a matter of which form factor. Light and Motion and Lume used the SEL form factor. Everyone else used the MR11 form factor.

mtbr member
    Thought I'd ask if Battery Space had the 13 deg spot in stock and was told they had a few left, this is what I ordered.

mtbr member
    Just thought I would add to this thread.

I received the bulb from Batterspace that I linked to in my original post. The bulb is correct I did end up getting the 13 deg. The shipping was timely with no delays and I even received a coupon code for 5% off my next order.