mtbr member

Niterider Evolution - Good entry-level light system?

I ride my mountain bike almost every day, but never at night. I would like to change this, so I'm having my wife buy me a light system for my upcoming birthday. I found a used Niterider Evolution Smart system for $80. This seems like a good deal, as the system retails for about $200, but there are no product reviews on this website and a quick search turned up very little. Is this a good system? Is there a better deal to be had for around $100 (I am seeing this ad at the top of my page for the MiNewt Mini-USB for $99), or should I seriously be considering spending more?

Will this light be enough, or will I want a light for my helmet, as well? If so, is there an affordable helmet light I could pick up to compliment the Evolution system?

Thanks!

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    for an entry level system its fantastic!
    I started out with a mag light on wide settings clamps to the bars (obviously this changed quickly due to so many unexpected bumps)
    So yes I would recommend this system and I pretty sure I have used it before or a similar model

"Mr. Britannica"
    that's a halogen, right? I'd pass, it's old technology, 2 generations back (halogen- HID-LED). you can prob do comparable w/ non-bike-specific torches from dx

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Irrelevant

The guy you ride with could go faster than you with a candle so it doesn't really matter what light system you get

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    that's a halogen, right? I'd pass, it's old technology, 2 generations back (halogen- HID-LED). you can prob do comparable w/ non-bike-specific torches from dx
    Is there a particular system for a comparable price you'd recommend?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave2ndln
    The guy you ride with could go faster than you with a candle so it doesn't really matter what light system you get
    Psssh... No. The guy I ride with is such a newb he still has reflectors on his bike. I think I'm alright.

mtbr member
    I don't know this light but had a quick search and it appears to be a 10watt halogen.
    My honest opinion is that you don't want to be investing in halogen technology in 2009, things have moved on quite a bit in the last couple of years.

Also if it's a used model then the battery will probably be on it's last legs.

An LED light with a Li-Ion battery will be far better.

Have a look at the MTBR lights shootout at the very top of this page for some ideas.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Take this with a grain of salt- I've not used a 10W halogen system, so am not sure exactly how bright they are.

For a while I was riding with a 20W bulb, significantly overvolted. It was pretty good, but I'd not really want to spend much money for a 10W system. I guess it'd be okay, but if you get into this nightriding thing, you'll be wanting more really soon.

4 flashlights running single AA batteries zip tied to your helmet should give you a similar amount of light (maybe more) and be half the price. The only downsides is that it doesn't look as good as a Niterider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You can get a new Dinotte 200L AA for $95. It's about as bright (maybe a bit brighter) than a 10w halogen, but the beam shape is superb, and you can use AA rechargeable batteries you might have around. It goes 2 hours on the highest setting which I doubt any used halogen would do (without investing in batteries), and if you decide you like night riding you can sell it on ebay no problem, and get a more powerful light. Or you may keep it as a spare.
    The Minewt USB is half as bright, and other systems with LiIon batteries are considerably more expensive. Except for the DX torches which I wouldn't recommend for a night rookie, I think the Dinotte is well worth the money. They have excellent CS, they are fast shipping and whenever you have a problem or a faulty part Rob usually sends replacements right away.
    This may sound like a paid advertisement, but it isn't :-) If I were to buy a starter light today it would be the Dinotte 200L.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    Except for the DX torches which I wouldn't recommend for a night rookie, I think the Dinotte is well worth the money. They have excellent CS, they are fast shipping and whenever you have a problem or a faulty part Rob usually sends replacements right away.
    Oh, I don't know about that- I know a lot of night riders who started off with DX-type flashlights. It's hard to go wrong with zip ties!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Definitely avoid the used Evolution Smart. They haven't been made for quite a while, so the battery would be getting pretty tired by now, and the heads had some quirks.

Helmet lights are a useful assist, and also give you redundancy in the event your bar-mounted light fails, so it would be worth having one if you can afford it. If you were planning to go with a AA-powered main light like the DiNotte 200L, you could pick up a 2AA LED flashlight and rubber-band it to your helmet (Fenix L2D Premium Q5 or similar). In a dark forest, I can ride familiar trails pretty well with just my helmet-mounted Fenix if I don't feel like packing along my Seca 700.