Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Not Smart Enough to Quit

Niterider Enduro HID; I'm just not feelin' the love....

I recently picked up one of these from Pricepoint for a great price. They work great. Super bright & last for days (well, 4 hours anyway). Problem is, I'm just not sure I like them.

Here are my issues.

First, the beam is very concentrated. The trails here in the SE tend to be tight & twisty, so I don't usually need to see 100 yards down the trail. This beam seems to have about a 10' diameter at 30'. This would be ok except for issue #2.

The mount pisses me off. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but it won't point down enough to focus the beam in front of me where I need it without riding it way to the front of my helmet, which moves all the weight to the front. This pushes the helmet down in the front. This is made worse by the way headlamp projects way over the front of the mount moving the weight even further to the front.

The way the headlamp projects forward causes me another problem. since the foam rubber padding under the mount is kind of thick, the mount tends to rock back & forth a bit, causing my little circle of light to jiggle around when riding fast over the bumpy stuff. I have tried several different methods of routing the straps & tightened them down until I worry about breaking my helmet.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Jetlites mounting system that I had before. It mounted at the very top of the helmet & was easily adjusted on the fly. If anybody has any suggestions (regarding the lighting situation ) please pass them on. If I can't start feeling' the love for these, they may end up in the classifieds!
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

MTB B'dos
    I also ordered one of these HID systems since the price was right and out of curiousity and not being able to find any real info on them I e-mailed NightRider about it and here's what they had to say. I'll post up my thoughts when I recieve my light in about 10 days time.

Hi LyNx!
    The Enduro is actually a special light system deal set up a few months ago between NiteRider and its dealers. The idea behind the Enduro is to get people on HID lights at a more affordable price. Among our standard 2006 lineup, the Enduro is closest to the FireStorm system, less the extra hardware for handlebar mounting and a differently shaped battery. In relation to our older-model light systms, the Enduro is most similar to the Storm (same shape battery). The Enduro battery is not of lesser quality than other systems. Actually, it's the same battery as the one used on the FireStorm and Rage--only the cells are arranged differently so it can be more easily stashed in a jersey pocket or hydration pack. Moreover, it's the same battery that powered our top-level lights up to 2006. I hope this info helps!

Best regards,
    Richie
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Xray,

Nightrider sucks a strong suck for the very reasons you stated; the forward heavy helmet mount position. The Light & Motion ARC is wonderful because it does not share the NR heavy forward characteristic .

If you have more dollars than sense, the The Edison 5 is the absolute Ferrari of lights. It has a nice wide field vision without the pinpoint hot spot of other HID's. This light will absolutely drown out other HID riders who happen to be out with you - seriously! You want the 18degree rather than the 10 degree bulb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just wanted to let you all in on my ride groups observation last night. We've been discussing light systems and by chance did a test last night. One in our ride group has a L&M HID light. I have a Planet 10w white halogen and an overvolted 7.2v 15w niterider halogen. At first we thought something was wrong w/ the HID system however, there was no difference in light except the niterider was a more yellow light. We turned off my lights just to make sure the L&M was working properly and it was, blowing away the other lights which were all 10w niteriders or L&M's. However, my lights seemed brighter and not just to me. For reference, the planet is a flood and claims an effective output of 12.5w. Don't know the overvolted output of the niterider however, it's 15w 6v overvolted to 7.2v. It's a spot and actually shines a bright beam, though somewhat yellow in comparison, a good 40 feet down the trail.

Just wanted you all to know our observations.

MTB B'dos

And the point being....?

Seriously what's the point to your post, some conclusion??? Maybe like my 10W & 15W Halogen's only cost $XXX compared to the L&M HID which costs $XXX ??? Was that what you were getting at, your 2 lights cost less than the HID and are just as bright? 'Cause seriously you have a 10W flood and an over volted (prob pushing closer to 20W) 15W Halogen. I will say the newer Halogen bulbs seem to be better and being closer to white they make seeing much easier, I'll see what my friends 12W White Halogen does compared to my Enduro HID when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    Just wanted to let you all in on my ride groups observation last night. We've been discussing light systems and by chance did a test last night. One in our ride group has a L&M HID light. I have a Planet 10w white halogen and an overvolted 7.2v 15w niterider halogen. At first we thought something was wrong w/ the HID system however, there was no difference in light except the niterider was a more yellow light. We turned off my lights just to make sure the L&M was working properly and it was, blowing away the other lights which were all 10w niteriders or L&M's. However, my lights seemed brighter and not just to me. For reference, the planet is a flood and claims an effective output of 12.5w. Don't know the overvolted output of the niterider however, it's 15w 6v overvolted to 7.2v. It's a spot and actually shines a bright beam, though somewhat yellow in comparison, a good 40 feet down the trail.

Just wanted you all to know our observations.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Rat Fink
    I understand the Enduro does not have a 'smart' charger that stops charging when the battery is fully charged. Is that correct?
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Well, I sent them back to Pricepoint & they refunded my $ no problem even though I was stepping all over the 30 day garantee. I had been considering the Jet Blast HID but it may have to wait til next year. Somebody busted out the back window on my truck & I also taco'ed my front wheel in last weekend's race. There went the Jets!

I also may wait until next year to upgrade because of all the talk about LED. That may be the way to go!
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    I understand the Enduro does not have a 'smart' charger that stops charging when the battery is fully charged. Is that correct?
    !
    I certainly hope not...I've had mine for a few months and generally it is left on the charger, after the green light comes on. Works perfectly , though I never run more than 2 hours at night. It has so far outlasted me at night..
    CDT

LBS Manager
    I perfer the forward mounting. It provides better clearence and a better angle for the beam. If the weight of the light is causing problems with your helmet I think your helmet is not a good fit for you. As far as the beam goes nite rider has 2 diferent bulbs one has a very narrow beem and the other is much wider. The wider one puts out a enough flood .

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Seriously what's the point to your post, some conclusion??? Maybe like my 10W & 15W Halogen's only cost $XXX compared to the L&M HID which costs $XXX ??? Was that what you were getting at, your 2 lights cost less than the HID and are just as bright? 'Cause seriously you have a 10W flood and an over volted (prob pushing closer to 20W) 15W Halogen. I will say the newer Halogen bulbs seem to be better and being closer to white they make seeing much easier, I'll see what my friends 12W White Halogen does compared to my Enduro HID when I get it.

HID lights are nice lights, best on the market right now. We were simply curious as most of us are riding w/ older lights and are in need of an upgrade. And yes, cost is a concern, especially when you are paying a mortgage, kids schools and all associated, etc. I'm sure there are many on this board that understand this. Have fun w/ your new Enduro.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    NR response to my/your query...

Yes, it comes with the 13.2v smart fast charger.
    Thank you,
    Davilynn

MTB B'dos
    Actually sorry just wasn't sure what the point was and I'm a bit cranky before I've finshed my morning cup of tea. Was actually quite interesting to read and all I wanted to know was what did the HID system cost compared to the 2 Halogen's? I don't have kids, mortage etc, but I know about the penny pinchin' and it hurt to pull the trigger on a $270 light Wouldn't tell any normal people I know that I paid that for a light and "that's cheap" for a HID.

HID lights are nice lights, best on the market right now. We were simply curious as most of us are riding w/ older lights and are in need of an upgrade. And yes, cost is a concern, especially when you are paying a mortgage, kids schools and all associated, etc. I'm sure there are many on this board that understand this. Have fun w/ your new Enduro.

Thanks for the heads up C'Dale Toney I know that was one of the rumors going around as to the low price, but it seems it's only the few accessories and different battery configuration that are different.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Actually sorry just wasn't sure what the point was and I'm a bit cranky before I've finshed my morning cup of tea. Was actually quite interesting to read and all I wanted to know was what did the HID system cost compared to the 2 Halogen's? I don't have kids, mortage etc, but I know about the penny pinchin' and it hurt to pull the trigger on a $270 light Wouldn't tell any normal people I know that I paid that for a light and "that's cheap" for a HID.

Thanks for the heads up C'Dale Toney I know that was one of the rumors going around as to the low price, but it seems it's only the few accessories and different battery configuration that are different.
    No problem. The Planet is available on e-bay for $55.00. A nice light for the money. The 15w Niterider head unit was given to me and I put together my own battery for about $35. I used D cells to give me 3 hrs run time however, it's over 3 lbs. Cheap but very heavy compared to an HID. By the way, nice score on the Enduro.

MB

MTB B'dos

King of unfair.......

........to count something as free even though it's given to you doing a comparisson like that, you have to say it costs $XXX when new to be fare - but yeah free is very cheap and nice . So did you have to do anything fancy to your halogen to over volt it? Reason I ask is I have a 10 or 12W Halogen right now and will prob keep it to light up the immediate forground depending on how the ENduro's patern is or I may give it to my Bro. Either way it has "dimmed" over the 2 years I've had it and I believe that partially is from the battery.

No problem. The Planet is available on e-bay for $55.00. A nice light for the money. The 15w Niterider head unit was given to me and I put together my own battery for about $35. I used D cells to give me 3 hrs run time however, it's over 3 lbs. Cheap but very heavy compared to an HID. By the way, nice score on the Enduro.

MB
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

enjoying the kool-aid
    Look at the Trail Tech HID system, direct from Trail Tech (not batteryspace).

The mount is a little annoying b/c it doesn't swivel, but the light pattern for the Spot is Great!! It punches down the trail, but it also is wide enough to cover the edges well.

The price is right too at about $210 for a 13W HID with a ni-cad battery that gives 3.5-3.75 hours.

I'm currently looking into doing some dremeling to a JET swivel mount to work with the TT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez
    I'm currently looking into doing some dremeling to a JET swivel mount to work with the TT.
    Keep us posted.

Once again, amazing how the M/C industry can produce stuff at a much cheaper cost then bicycle companies.

MTB B'dos
    Just to bump this up and ask if any of these owners experienced the 1 hour charge and subsiquent burn time when they first got their light? Seems there's a few people who have experienced this (myself also for the charge haven't run it long enough to die yet=about 45 mins so far). Any feedback would be appreciated, NR s saying something about this being normal with a new battery.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

MTB B'dos

Changing Light Colour, is it normal??

OK so people who have posted here own this light and have experience, I don't. I have the Enduro bar mounted using the universal NR bar mount and finally got to get in a decent length ride on some mixed surfaces. When I'm on smooth road the colour of the beam is a greeny/blue, but if I get into some bump son the road or on the trail it starts to flicker to a more magenta'ish colour cast - kinda like when it's starting up. ..... IS this normal for HID's, is it "breaking in"? Any advice help would be appreciated.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Niterider stepps up CS for my prob

so I ask the CS guy, "this is the second light I got from Price Point with the same problem: it won't even charge the battery even thought the charger is lighting up" so he says "we can send you a working one then you send back the busted one, or try a 48 HOUR TRICKLE CHARGE" so I opted on the 1st option and plan on kicking the charge when I get home. I look foward to trying the light out.. why wont' MTBR.com put up a product review for this light?

suvlako

Enuro lights

Gentlemen(and ladies...if any),

I will start by saying that I just bought a second enduro on ebay for get this... $119 shipped to my door and Brand spanking new. NO ********! That said it may be some chinese knock off but I seriously doubt it as it had the NR tape to seal the box and when compared to the other one that I own, it was dead nuts exactly the same. The other caveat is that it might have been hotter than a firework on the fourth of July in Az. Moral compass aside, that is a great deal and other deals like that do come around.

I love my lights and I love them for one reason and one reason only. VALUE. You get a lot of light for a lot less. People that want to complain about this and that are either whiners or they are filthy stinking loaded and never have ridden with a shitty halogen. My household income is close to $200k but when you add up bikes, helmets, packs, tools, shoes, shorts etc, etc(times two for the wife). It adds up quick and saving a hundred bucks matters!

Now I know there are nicer and more ergonomically friendly lights ut there. There may even be brighter lights out there. But someone argue this point. Can you buy a better light for the price anywhere? I don't think so.... In short, I love my light and I love it even more when it costs me $119 shipped to my door.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How much brighter are the HID's over the twin led nightriders? Just curious as my twins are in real bad shape.

Tx

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Niterider Enduro is sick! I live in Stockholm Sweden, the trails are very technical but extremely flowing in the daylight. When it's dark and wet it's more tricky. You need to see what you're dealing with and what's coming up. This light works great. If the angle isn't right, roll up some duct tape and shove under the bracket. I'm sure there are better, but for the coin I've had a really good experience with a number of rides with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you're concerned about the awful helmet mount for niterider, I picked up one that allows you to sit the light more towards the middle of your helmet. Took care of my main gripe with their mounting system...dug the front of my helmet into my forehead. I think this is a link to it on aebike. http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=LT9254
    -jon

mtbr member
    The Enduro is pretty bright, and lasts about 2 rides on a charge for me, total run time of about four hours. Its what I use to judge my LED lights in terms of brightness. When I ride with other people, the Enduro is usually right up there in brightness, so I use that as a standard.
    Plus, it was given to me brand new, which makes the deal-factor off the charts.
    I do prefer the LED color, but for free, I love the Enduro.
    Wrecker of fine things

lurker extraordinaire
    I just bought this light and, although I have no complaints after my first ride with it, I just have nothing to compare it to. The LED's that I looked at that were comparable in price weren't even close in terms of brightness and width of the actual beam. I paid $230 for the light and now I'm wondering if there is another option in that price range that would be better. So far I'm happy with the light, although the battery is a bit heavy. I got the NiHM battery instead of the Li-Ion because, while heavier, it offers 4 hours of burn time vs. the 2.5 hours of burn time that the Li-Ion battery provides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast